Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention: All Veterans

Attention: All Veterans

Now that I have completed my FPP pledge to donate $1200 in 2004, I'd like to make a new pledge. For this one, I am going to need your help. But first I would like to tell you a story.

My father was a Marine. He spent two years serving in Korea in Force Recon. The remainder of his career he spent as a Marine Drill Instructor. You can well imagine that when I was growing up as a young man I did not care for my father's strict rules and discipline. When I left home to make my place in the world my father and I grew ever more distant. It was only later in life that I began to rebuild my relationship with him. Sadly, he died before I had completed this task. One of the things that I most deeply regret was never telling him about the respect I had for him as a veteran. He served with honor in a world sometimes not so honorable.

I believe our veterans, as well as those "veterans in the making" who are now serving all over the world, deserve three things:

1) Our respect for serving with honor.
    2) Our admiration for the sacrifices they made and are making in the performance of their duties.
    3) Our support.

That is what the Freedom Pens Project is all about. Letting individual men and women serving in the Armed Forces know that we appreciate them, that we are thinking about them, and that we support them. So, here is the deal. I will donate $10 each to the FPP for any veteran who is a member of SMC and responds to this thread with your service branch and years of service, up to a $1000 limit. If you don't want to publically disclose that information you can PM me. Please be assured that this is in no way a political statement, it is merely my way of recognizing my SMC brethren for their service.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Waymon that is very generous of you. Steve 8 years Army '68-'76.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    1952 thru 1960 - Korean War Vet - Military Policeman

Go Navy!

Waymon,

That is very generous of you.

Currently: LCDR, USNR, Individual Ready Reserve

Previously: Active Duty: 1986-1995

I served with Air Antisubmarine Squadron Twenty-Two (VS-22) on board the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) during what I guess is now called the "first" Gulf War in 1990-91. The Kennedy was part of "Battleforce Red Sea", which consisted of 3 aircraft carriers and their support ships. Prior to the beginning of hostilities, our job was to enforce the blockade of Iraq by monitoring all shipping in the Red Sea. During the liberation of Kuwait, the S-3's continued the blockade, conducted combat tanking missions, and ferried the air plan from Riyadh to the carriers. We were gone for 7 and a half months on 5 days notice.

125 traps, 43 at night.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thanks Waymon that's great of you. I served in the United States Army from 1966 to 1969. In Nam I was attached to the 75th transportation group and performed flight line support of mostly navigation equipment on Huey helicopters. I was there during the Tet offensive in 1968 when all h___ broke out.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Joel, U.S. Army, 1957-1960
    Joel Shapiro

US Navy - 1971-1980 (Currently responsible for the horizontal launching systems for the US Submarine Force)

Son now serving in the US Air Force
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 04-06-2004 at 2:05 PM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

U.S. Air Force 1952 to 1956

Thank you Waymon. That's a very generous offer.

I've been a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for 18 years now. I spent the first 6 years of my career with the Marines (as a field corpsman), did a 2 year stint with the military's medical examiners and then went into the submarine service (as an independent duty corpsman). I'm currently on my 3rd submarine.

Again, thank you for your contribution and to all you past veterans, THANK YOU too for your service.

Air Force 73-93 Italy to Guam and a lot of points between. Thank you, and I'm sure your Dad knows.

Waymon,
    Thanks for your service and support!!
    USAF Target Analyst 1965-1992
    Ted

Waymon,
    I'm sure your father knows what you feel. USN 1961-1964 USAF 1965-1975.

I've got 9 pens finished, one on the lathe to be sanded, just ordered 20 more from Ken.

Blake

I'm a Veteran

Sir,

I'm currently enlisted in the United States Air Force, stationed at Sheppard A.F.B. Wichita Falls TX. I've been in the service for going on 12 years and have 8 more to go.

Thank you for your support. Your Father would be proud.

SSgt David A. Rose
    USAF

Jim Pfaff US Army 1966-68.

USNR, 1972 - 1978

And for my Dad, a USN Veteran of Korea and WWII.

Thanks again Waymon for your hard work and dedication to the FPP.