Thread: New fast-and-cheap office desk

New fast-and-cheap office desk

I need to build an L-shaped office desk (because I can't find what I'm looking for in a store), but don't have much time to spend building something too elaborate.

Has anybody ever made a desk using an off-the-shelf solid-core door slab from a home center? I think they're MDF with luan skins. Heavy buggers, so I imagine they would make for a pretty nice desk top.

Any suggestions or know where I could find some plans for such a thing?

Jason

One of those and two "two drawer" file cabinets.... instant desk. No "building" required!
    David DeCristoforo

Jason,
    I agree with David. If you shop you can get the 2 drawer file cabinets under $50 each. The file cabinets are better than most desk drawers in my opinion but just not as pretty.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I need to build an L-shaped office desk (because I can't find what I'm looking for in a store), but don't have much time to spend building something too elaborate.

Has anybody ever made a desk using an off-the-shelf solid-core door slab from a home center? I think they're MDF with luan skins. Heavy buggers, so I imagine they would make for a pretty nice desk top.

Any suggestions or know where I could find some plans for such a thing?

Jason
    I would use a hollow core interior door and cut it down to size.

The interior doors are available in smaller widths and can be bought as seconds for less than $10.

To cut it put tape on the cut line to minimise splintering. When its cut insert an piece off 1x in the open end and glue it in. You could do a mitered corner for the L shape or just butt them.

The picture shows a cut down door in our bedroom - it sits on a stereo stand and the other end rests on a 1x1 screwed to the wall.

Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

What David and David said, I love mine and everybody that sees it wants one.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    One of those and two "two drawer" file cabinets.... instant desk. No "building" required!
    I made mine "in a hurry" in 1988. My Dad helped me finish the door with a nice coat of shellac.

I'm still using that desk - the simplicity and the raw utility cannot be overstated. Frankly, by the time you buy a sheet of BORG plywood, some glides, and some feet for your base cabinets, (that's before your oops paint in a color you can stand) you have already spent about what an inexpensive set of two drawer metal cabinets will cost you. All of the joy - none of the cost.