I sure am confused! I just don't observe or comprehend what the functional difference is between a Jack Plane and a Smoother. I also don't grasp what determines when one would use a Smoother or a Scraper (plane or hand). What is the purpose of a Jack Plane?
  • I am a novice - I haven't built any furniture yet or done any fine finishing. I really like the idea of preparing the final surface by planing or scraping instead of sanding.
  • I read about planes here and other forums. I read the recent FWW article.
  • I've watched all the David Marks shows, a big fan of scrapers.
  • I experiment using some 12"x6" oak scraps held firmly on my bench, shaving the face mostly.
  • I experiment using a recent non-Bailey Stanley #5, a recent Bailey #4 smoother, and a high-angle Hong Kong style smoother from Lee Valley (pretty good but I found it hard to make fine adjustments).
    • All 3 had 2" wide blades and all were somewhat sharp.
When the blades are all adjusted so they "protrude" a similar amount, I just don't notice much difference in action or result between my 3 planes. If I adjust the blade to protrude enough so I am making shavings, the finished surface doesn't feel flat enough or smooth enough for finishing.

To me, a scraper used on a flat surface does seem to produce a surface that seems ready to finish.

I KNOW THERE ARE ANSWERS, and I thank you smart people ahead of time for educating me.