Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x8 sheets of Baltic Birch at Menards

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Huh? You shrink wrap to keep the wood clean? WHat are they doing to it to get it so dirty? And how clean does lumber need to be before it gets worked? It might be nice to buy finished millwork that has been shrink wrapped
    Well, this is S4S lumber and glued-up panels that are nice & flat, possibly even ready for finish without sanding. (Remember: they won't even be dirty!) So if I don't have to worry about them springing into another shape as soon as a take off the wrap, I'd be happy.

I think it is brilliant that they sell glued-up panels. (too bad most of them are pine) It has got to be one of the most dreaded parts of building, messing around with glue-ups. In these lumber factories, they glue up these panels and run them through a big drum sander and voila! Not like the acrobatics we home woodworkers have to do.

Side note: Has anyone else noticed that the new Black & Decker Workmates are using glued-up bamboo? I bought mine when the tops were melamine and I really feel shafted. Those bamboo tops/jaws are sure nice.

Lowes sells glued up panels too. My first real woodworking project was a coffee table built while I lived in an apartment from one of those glued up panels and S4S poplar.

That said, you shouldn't be afraid of glue-ups. I used to get stressed out about them, but once I learned to get good edges and stopped messing with biscuits they got easy. Though my last one I did try a couple Dominos which worked very nicely to make them even easier.