Thread: Grizzly Bandsaw

Grizzly Bandsaw

I have an opportunity to purchase an 18" Grizzly Model G1012 for approx. $500. It includes several blades, including a couple of nice resaw blades. I don't know how old it is. What do you guys think? The owner says it hasn't been used much. I will have to drive a couple of hours to go look at it but if it's OK, is this a good value?

Randy I have the 17" G0513 with all the upgrades, I bought mine for $200 with 12 wolf blades. Was missing the tensioning wheel ($34 from Grizzly). Mine has the resaw fence,and cool blocks. I really like the power, stepped up from a 14" Delta and HF 14". Big saw big difference. I really like my big Grizzly its the first machine I head too. I use it for straight cut's (3/4 inch resaw blade) and my other smaller one's for curved stuff (one 1/8" the other is 1/2"). I would think $500 is a fair price if its lightly used and not beat up. They show the cheapest 19" is almost $1250 delivered on the Grizzly web site. Make sure it's not a 3 phase motor if you only have single phase. Check your wheels for movement in the bearings. Lastly pull out 4 $100 dollar bill's and see if he will jump! Good luck, sounds like a great deal, see if you can get pic's. Hope my .02 cents helps...Bruce

The bandsaw came out in 1992 and is a larger version of the Delta 14" design. Here is the user manual, 2002 update:

http://www.grizzlytools.com/images/p...s/g1012_pl.pdf

You might want to check out its resaw capacity and power, then compare with the newer G0513 with 12" resaw capacity and 2hp motor with nothing needing to be replaced and good customer service for $750 plus shipping.

I think you will be able to get a better saw for that price.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thats an earlier model saw, cant speak to the quality, probably worth a good looksee. Here are some reviews on epinions:
    http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Griz...y_Duty_Bandsaw

The cheapest saw that grizz carries now is about 850 shipped, thats the 17" G0513 saw. For the extra 350 it may be worth it, but you also might be able to get the seller down a bit on the price of the 18" saw. Good Luck.

Price is OK but nothing great

Randy,
    I have a similar import cast iron C-frame saw (different brand than Grizzly) that was made in this era. Although it's OK, it's not of the same quality as import bandsaws today. The fit and finish of earlier imports was nothing to be desired.

It also doesn't have some of the nice features found on 18" import bandsaws today like dust collection ports, rack and pinion blade height adjustment, nice blade guides, hinged wheel covers, etc.

Check out the resaw height. These saws generally have around 9" resaw height which may be insufficient for some.

$500 is OK but nothing spectacular. It was probably about $800 to $900 new. In this case, old iron is not better. However, it will probably perform satisfactory as does mine.

-Jeff

Grizzly Bandsaw

Thanks for all the responses. Based on these and other information I have gathered, I decided to pass on this opportunity. I, too, thought the price was a little high even for a 2hp 18" saw. Blessings to all.

I know this is an old thread but would you consider this a good deal? http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...924191583.html I dont currently have a bandsaw and Im not in desperate need of one for a while so I am in no rush.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Spronk View Post
    I know this is an old thread but would you consider this a good deal? http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...924191583.html I dont currently have a bandsaw and Im not in desperate need of one for a while so I am in no rush.

Thank you
    I would buy that if I needed a bandsaw. If you hurry and can get it for $300, you can get some equity in it, and use that to upgrade to your new BS once you decide what you need.

But in my experience, deals that are good don't last long enough to ask about.