Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dining tables for Katrina victims project

Dining tables for Katrina victims project

I want to let all you creekers know about a project I have become involved in.It is to create and deliver to New Orleans 150 dining room tables for Katrina victims.
    This project came about because of 2 people Jim Moose and his wife Sherry. Jim heard a story about a woman moving into a new Habitat house with all donated furniture that was in tears because she now owned a dining table after 3 years with nothing. This was the seed for Jim's idea.
    The table Jim designed is based on a design that was used in the past to be broken down and loaded into a Conestoga wagon. It is held together
    with pegs and breaks down into a 3" high pile (for shipping)

tablearticle2001croped (Medium).jpg

This is the table.
    The next thing Jim did was put a small article in the local paper and call a meeting. Well most of the town (it seems) turned out. That was about 3 weeks ago.
    Donations of money and volunteers started rolling in. It has been amazing.
    The next big break was Harry Reithmiller donating his shop to build table "kits" Harry owns a stair tread making company. Jim then ordered 6300 BF of red oak. An all volunteer crew has turned out 150 table "kits" that can be built by most anyone.

tablearticlecroped (Medium).jpg

This is gluing up table top "halves"

P5030183 (Medium).JPG

Here are the finished "kits"

(continued)
    Last edited by Scott Velie; 05-04-2008 at 1:30 PM.

So yesterday we had another meeting for "leaders" (those that have shops to work in). These people (me included) will be opening our shops to those that want to build tables. These range from retired to teenagers.

P5030169 (Medium).JPG

Leaders meeting Jim is on the left.

The legs for the table have already been dadoed. This is the most critical joint on the table so it makes for easier building.

The tables will weigh about 70 lbs each and the costs are (near) $75 a table. We hope to have the first "build" delivered by the end of June.
    Other builds will most likely happen. We have even thought of making these "kits" available to other groups.

This project is called the Western PA table project but it has already crossed state lines so the name might need to be rethought.

If this interests anyone feel free to contact Jim (or me). Donations of time (for locals) or money (from anyone) gratefully accepted.

Jim moosewoodfurn@peoplepc.com (724) 652-6731
    Scott Scottv11@comcast.net

monetary donations can go to New Wilmington Presbyterian church
    229 s.Market st New Wilmington PA 16142

I will keep you all updated with photos as I can.

I am surprised that out of the 162 creekers that have viewed this post nobody had anything to say positive or negative.
    Jim is doing a good thing here and I for one am glad to be involved.

We are looking for 1200 used wooden folding chairs to go with the tables as well as Donations of Danish oil and steel wool.

I don't think I violated the TOS or this would have been deleted. Did I ?

The most uo to date info on the project can be found at
    NWPresby.org

Click on the table

Scott,
    The tables look great and are certainlly going to a good cause.
    Good luck with the project and keep us updated.
    Greg

This is the first I have seen the thread. This undertaking is a large one. Kudo's to all involved. It is great to help your fellow man and I can think of no more worthy cause than to help others in need.

And man, what a project!

Thank you for sharing this. Absolutely outstanding!
    One good turn deserves another

Great Project

On behalf of my neighbors in New Orleans let me say a heart felt "thank you".
    In our city of about 15000 we have built over 80 Habitat houses since Katrina - most of them for storm victims. If you find you have an excess of tables, I'll bet I could find a home for them.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Velie View Post
    We are looking for 1200 used wooden folding chairs to go with the tables as well as Donations of Danish oil and steel wool.
    Very impressive project. Great work for people who need it. Look for a shipment of Danish Oil being sent this week.

Thank you Scott,
    The tables will all be finished with "natural" danish oil.
    It is foolproof. We needed to consider that the tables will be going from our (low) humidity to New Orleans 90+ % humidity.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Scott Velie

You stated...."I am surprised that out of the 162 creekers that have viewed this post nobody had anything to say positive or negative."
    I have plenty negative to say but not about you guys. Your hearts are in the right places but I feel that you efforts should be going elsewhere.
    We always hear about the poorer victims. No one helps the lower middle income and above families. These are the people that lost things that they actually worked for. These are the real forgotten victims.

I am very familiar with the area. Not too long ago McDonalds and other fast food restaurants were paying $10.50 an hour with a $6000 sign-up bonus (not sure if it was $6K, I may be remembering incorrectly). Anyway, there is tons of work in the area and they cant get anyone to work.

Most Katrina victims, like myself usually stay silent. And I personally dont know of any victims that will ever donate to anyone ever again except for the small unknown missionary churches that set up and helped out. I donated to these churches on the spot.

Dont get me wrong, I admire your willingness to give of yourself to others.
    I'm just venting because I lost everything and got nothing in return.
    I have always worked, payed taxes and donated to charities and put into the system. It seems like most of the benefits are going to those that have always taken from the system.
    I'm sure this reply will be booted out of here.

Tony B

TonyB, your venting inspired me to do so as well.

Did you build again in the same area? That is one thing that I cannot get right in my own mind - WITF are these places are being rebuilt in the same place. Won't it happen again??? Am I horrible for thinking that???? Man it kills me. People are sending help to rebuild, I am thinking send Uhauls. People here do it to - build on the flood plane of a river. I do not understand.

Sorry for the rant but since the OP wanted to know why there were few replies....

OP, you guys are awesome for at least trying to help.

Well where a person wishes to donate is their personal choice. It isnt right or fair to say their efforts should be going elsewhere.

See a need and take it on. Anyone can argue there exist a more noble cause elsewhere on any situation.

But anyway I believe the tables are available to any who have the need and not just the lowest incomes. This is a cause I wouldnt have thought of myself. Good that woodworkers can help somehwere.

And maybe someone will pass it forward.
    One good turn deserves another

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Mike

We moved to SE Houston, Tx. We live on our boat on Galveston Bay. Some of us never learn. We just love the water. And yes, it will happen again and I just hope it doesn't happen to me twice. Living by the water just gets in your blood. When I lived in NY, one could just as easily have been taken out in a car wreck or a victim of crime. Its just a more personal thing on a smaller scale, LOL, and goes unnoticed.
    My rant was mainly that those of us that led productive lives lost everything and with virtually no help we are trying to get back into living again.
    Then there are those, not necessarily the ones that this forum group are helping out - so I'm not pointing fingers, but a good amount of people have never lived better than they have after the storms. Now, everything they have is new, and they still haven't worked for it.
    Oh well, nuff said.
    And I still admire the efforts of the members of this forum.

Tony B

Habitat Owners are not Free Loaders

Tony, do yourself a favor and learn more about Habitat before you vent next time. Habitat owners have to buy their homes. In the early days of Habitat here in my hometown our biggest problem was finding candidates that had a good enough work history to qualify. We did and last I knew not one mortgage has been foreclosed. True they get a bargain, but they pay for what they get.

I'm sorry for your loss in the hurricane. Did you have flood insurance? If not, why not? With all the FEMA money that was being handed out home come you didn't get yours?

This is my vent.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Tony B, at least on a boat you will not flood! I admire your conviction for doing what you love. I also admire doing it without the free handout. I don't complain much about even those who get the handouts as it is close to home. My younger sister and her kids probably take in at least the share of what I and my older sister pay in so I do not complain much and just freely pay it.

Do people in disaster areas have the same rules for habitat? I would not think many of those people would just start volunteering to help build a house when they do not have one themself. That and if peopel do have a job to pay for a house they probably would own a table of some kind IMO.

Scott I for one think you guys are doing a great thing, God see's your heart and the heart of your town.

Bob