Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Most Tragic Day for The Creek and All Who Visit

A Most Tragic Day for The Creek and All Who Visit

I just received an email from Ken Salisbury's daughter informing me that Ken lost his latest battle with cancer yesterday, May 1st 2008.

We all will share Ken's families loss of a dear and very close friend and fellow woodworker, an American Veteran, a beloved father and wonderful Coach to many young people. I have known for some time that this day would soon arrive but I have always kept my faith and hopes high that Ken would eventually beat his battle with cancer. I don't know anyone who battled so hard, fought so vigilantly or that was more courageous through multiple battles with cancer.

Those who are new here may not remember our "Super Moderator" Ken Salisbury as his health has prevented him from being active here for some time. Affectionately known as "The Old Rebel" Ken was instrumental in helping me start up and manage SawMill Creek from the very first day we went online. I have said many times that I could never imagine a SawMill Creek without Ken, our loss of a dear friend will always be with us as time will never heal the loss of The Old Rebel in our hearts.

Ken's words and pictures of his projects will always be here for all to enjoy. I hope that this will provide some comfort for all of you who share our loss today of a dear comrade. To all of you who Ken has helped through the years both here at The Creek and at Badger Pond I share your sorrow on this very sad day.

Keith Outten

Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-02-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Keith,

I am most saddened by this news. I've met Ken and he's the one that taught me to turn pens and small turnings. Ken always gave unselfishly to SMC and any woodworker that he came across. I share the sorrow and I pray for peace and comfort for the family and friends of Ken Salisbury.

Rest in peace my friend....rest in peace.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

A very sad day indeed.

Rest in peace, Ken. You will be missed.

It makes me sad to hear of Ken's departure. I have wondered recently how he was doing. I can't add anything to Keith's comments above, but I am sure that all the 'old timers' here at SMC will miss him and have many fond memories.
    Best Regards, Ken

My deepest sympathies to the Salisbury Family.......my prayers are sent to you all.

Very sad indeed. The Salisbury family has my sympathies.

Very sad news indeed. I was wondering where Ken was. I knew he wasn't posting often but didn't know his cancer had come back this aggressively.

sympathy goes out!

sorry to hear of your loss, i never met him in person have been in touch with him in years past and thoguh we may not always agreed with himm you understood! he will always be remebered in agood way! the rebel in all of us was reflected off him! and thats a DARN good thing!
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I offer my sincerest condolences to Ken's family. I was fortunate enough to have known Ken from the old Badger Ponds days and then here on the Creek. On a business trip to Alabama about 4 years ago I was a visitor and guest at Ken's home. I arrived just after dinner time and we whiled away the hours in his shop and living room talking about all things woodworking related. Finally about 2AM I decided that I had to leave to drive the almost 2 hours back to my hotel room in Gadsen in order to gert some sleep before catching a 9AM flight out of Birmingham. As a parting gift Ken gave me a beautiful Zebrawood pen. It has graced my workday shirt pockets ever since. As I look at it sitting on my desk in front of me right now I am both saddened and heartened. I feel better knowing Ken is in a better place, no longer feels pain and frustration, and is already making plans to start up a heavenly woodworking school. I am saddened that his friends and family now have only memories of him , and I feel sorry than many of the members here never had the opportunity to partake of his knowledge and wry sense of humor.

God bless you and rest in peace my friend.

P.S. As Keith alluded to, Ken was a veteran of combat in Korea. Few know and he didn't say much about it, but he was the recipient of a Siver Star awarded for valor while he was a young enlisted man.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 05-02-2008 at 4:11 PM. Reason: addition to post
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

R.I.P., Ken...God knows you deserve it. Best wishes to all his family and loved ones. Ken shall be missed!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

When my mouse hovered over the thread, I quickly glanced at it...when I read it, it felt like a punch to the gut.

Ken was the super moderator, but he was also a super guy. Always helpful and witty.

He was just in my thoughts this morning when I saw a thread that had resurfaced after three years and the last post was by Ken.

My sincere condolences go out to Ken's family and all here that knew him. He will be missed.

Be well,

Doc

I am deeply saddened to hear of Ken's passing. My condolences to Ken's family.

Tony
    Tony

I never met Ken face-to-face but I spoke with him once. I didn't always agree with him but I always respected his opinions. Rest in peace my friend. To Ken's family and many friends...my sincere condolences.

I'll tip a BL in your memory tonight Ken.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very sad. I did get to meet Ken at one of the Five Barns picnics and enjoyed every minute of it. He will be truly missed from our community and beyond.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

15. When I logged in yesterday, I was wondering about Ken, as we haven't heard from him in quite awhile. There were always times that Ken would not be around for awhile, but then he would "pop" back up, and give us an update. I just figured he would be back, and give us an update as to how things were going. Unfortunately that won't happen this time. I never met Ken, and only knew him from here, at SMC, but wish I could have. Ken was his own person, and spoke what he believed, regardless. That is a quality that is becoming more rare these days, and one of the reasons that I respected him greatly. Ken, you will be missed. To everyone, cherish your days, and count your blessings. Sincerely. Bill