Thread: Need advice about my project

Need advice about my project

Hi everyone, first post here,

I would like to make a kind of "folding screen" for the window in my masters bedroom. The window is about 5' x 7'. I saw a similar project on a TV show and it looked really nice. The idea is to make four panels of about 20" wide by 5' high, with the two left panels holding together with hinges and same with the two right panels. They will hold on the window mouldings with hinges so they can fold back against the wall or the window, whether we want to use them or not. The idea is to use this instead of curtains. I will cut some kind of patterns in the panels to allow some sunlight to go through when they are closed.

I was thinking of using laminated pine to make the panels but was wondering if they would warp over time or something like that, maybe I should build a frame around each panel? The window faces south so it receives direct sunlight. I am thinking of staining with a dark brown color.

Any advice or idea about this project would be appreciated!

thanks in advance

Martin

Hey Martin,

If by laminated pine you are talking 3/4" thick, I have a feeling these would be way too heavy for something like this. I think you would ne better off using 1/4" ply with a 3/4" Frame surrounding it to lessen the weight.

Hope they turn out looking fantastic.

Derek

Welcome - looks like a great challenge but your note is

pretty sparse, so let's get started.....
    * Effectively, you are installing shutters, just with a modified panel.
    * As Derek points out, 3/4" frame is probably too light but we can come back to that
    Panels sound like 1/4 hardwood, did you want to route the patterns, jig saw them... or...?
    Staining implies you probably want to use clear cedar, rather than pine. What equipment and experience level? The frames look like rail and stile to me

There are a bunch of really skilled and fine gentelmen on this forum living in Quebec also, and I suspect you will probably be hearing from them too.

Let me know where you want to proceed from here - I welcome discussing this further if you wish.

Thanks for the replies,
    maybe I should introduce myself a bit further. I am 28 and still a beginner in wood working but have all the tools that I need (skill saw, miter saw, planer, router, belt sander..) I will try uploading a picture of my most "serious" project, a bathroom vanity that I made this winter. (not quite finished, I would like to have a painting made on the "false drawer")

Indeed, what I want to make is "shutters". What I saw on TV was actually some kind of folding screen made of exotic wood that they turned into shutters for a window. I intend to jigsaw the patterns so I wasn't too sure about plywood, as the patterns would reveal the different plys inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

vanity

Martin
    Just a quick question
    why did you not make the false drawer in something useable?
    they now make these so they can tip out.
    A good place for the tooth brush and shaving items.
    Just a thought.
    I'm going to install one on my vanity for those items
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

6. Martin,

Check out this screen that David Marks made.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_..._26903,00.html
    Tipp City, Ohio