Thread: Indoor spraying critical question

Indoor spraying critical question

I have a HVLP FUJI Turbine pain sprayer.

can anyone tell me if I can spray my bookshelves in the basement (white latex paint)
    - my basement is finished and I have furniture around and carpet,...... , what would you recommend? , can I do it

what about the "dust"., are there risks??

anyone has done something similar

There are likely to be two issues with what you propose.

First, most HVLP sprayers don't like latex. Latex is thick enough that it doesn't work well in them. When I need to paint with my HVLP, I use pigmented lacquer. Homestead Finishing is one source. http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/

Second, with finishes intended for application by gun (for instance, those pigmented lacquers), the overspray is dust-like. Most of the finish goes on the furniture, but there will be dust. It will spread around the room. It will get into carpets and such, giving you a big clean-up problem. I'd finish the bookcases in the shop, and then bring them into the house.

You don't want latex for shelves. I forget what it is called "blocking?" that it does but it never seems to fully harden.

For paint look into SW proclassic or use a tinted arcylic finish like Target USL.

There is still a fair amount of overspray with an HVLP and I wouldn't do it inside a finished area without some serious masking.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I have a fuji sprayer and spray in a small room with a fan. If I don't run the fan the room quickly fills with overspray. As Jamie mentions it leaves dust on everything. Depending on the drying time of the finish you are using it could leave more than dust i.e. hardened finish.

If you want to finish inside you are better off with a brush.

Greg

I have sprayed latex with my Fuji Q4 wiht no problem. A little thinning and the right tip and it will spray. BUT, I would never attempt it in a finished room with furniture, etc.. You will have dust settling everywhere. Clean up nightmare!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    I have a fuji sprayer and spray in a small room with a fan. If I don't run the fan the room quickly fills with overspray. As Jamie mentions it leaves dust on everything. Depending on the drying time of the finish you are using it could leave more than dust i.e. hardened finish.

If you want to finish inside you are better off with a brush.

Greg
    Greg
    Can you elaborate on what kind of a fan you have exactly? Just setting up finish room, and hoping to find specifics for inlet and exhaust fan to use TY!!

I second Joe's point about blocking. Anything you put on the shelf will stick after a few days, even if you let the paint dry for weeks. If you must use latex, plan to let it dry for a week or two and then overcoat with WB poly or even shellac.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burson View Post
    Greg
    Can you elaborate on what kind of a fan you have exactly? Just setting up finish room, and hoping to find specifics for inlet and exhaust fan to use TY!!
    An 11 yr old post. Not sure I remember back that far!

Here are a few old pictures of the fan, 2' x 2' filter and outside cover. I believe the fan fits between two studs so is likely 12" x 12". It is on an outside wall with louvers which open when it's on. Looks like a Dynamaster fan. I can get the model if you're interested. The filter is on an interior wall. Nothing too fancy but works OK.

Cheers,

Greg
    Paint Room Fan 002.jpg
    Paint Room Fan 003.jpg
    Paint Room Fan 001.jpg