Thread: So I've decided to build the router table, now what?

So I've decided to build the router table, now what?

Hi,
    So I’ve decided to make my router table and while I’m at it an extension table for my table saw. So some of my questions will apply to both while others will be specific to the respective project. The original plan that I’m working from called for 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF glued together, laminated on both sides and trimmed around the perimeter with wood. Then screwed to a torsion type frame. I’m wondering
    1 - do I need that much support for the TS out feed table. I think one piece of 3/4" on the torsion frame will suffice.
    2- should I use plywood (birch or maple?) instead of MDF, or maybe there are advantages to using one layer MDF and one layer ply.
    3- how about finishing it?
    3- I have a Grizzly 1023z table saw. The fence has a rather large section that sticks out from both sides. This will enable me to only get within 6 inches or so of the table. Does anyone foresee a problem with this.
    4- router table inserts, I am looking at 2 after our last discussion about router tables. Both are metal
    LV is a steel insert is 3/16 on an inch thick www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=41793&cat=1,43053,43885
    The Woodcraft is an Aluminum insert and is 3/8 of an inch thick www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20283

5- What I think I am going to do is build a free standing table with a hinged extension that will allow me to use it as a bench and assembly table when not using the saw for large pieces. The hinged extension will allow me to get between the table and saw when I’m not cutting.
    Thanks again and as always any and all advice, suggestion or help is appreciated.
    Leiws

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis DeJoseph View Post
    Hi,
    So I’ve decided to make my router table and while I’m at it an extension table for my table saw. So some of my questions will apply to both while others will be specific to the respective project. The original plan that I’m working from called for 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF glued together, laminated on both sides and trimmed around the perimeter with wood. Then screwed to a torsion type frame. I’m wondering
    1 - do I need that much support for the TS out feed table. I think one piece of 3/4" on the torsion frame will suffice.
    2- should I use plywood (birch or maple?) instead of MDF, or maybe there are advantages to using one layer MDF and one layer ply.
    3- how about finishing it?
    3- I have a Grizzly 1023z table saw. The fence has a rather large section that sticks out from both sides. This will enable me to only get within 6 inches or so of the table. Does anyone foresee a problem with this.
    4- router table inserts, I am looking at 2 after our last discussion about router tables. Both are metal
    LV is a steel insert is 3/16 on an inch thick www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=41793&cat=1,43053,43885
    The Woodcraft is an Aluminum insert and is 3/8 of an inch thick www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20283

5- What I think I am going to do is build a free standing table with a hinged extension that will allow me to use it as a bench and assembly table when not using the saw for large pieces. The hinged extension will allow me to get between the table and saw when I’m not cutting.
    Thanks again and as always any and all advice, suggestion or help is appreciated.
    Leiws

A few clarifying points might help. Do you intend to have the router table replace one of the extension wings? Or will it be an outfeed table? If you put it in the same plane as the the saw fence, then you can use it for your router table fence too.

As to your point on whether to use two layers or one for the top, while it would probably be overkill, the most important element is your router plate. If you use a typical 3/8" thick plate, and use a single layer of tabletop then you have routed 1/2 way through your top. That will need some shoring up. I used plywood to stiffen the melamine that I used for my top. Your torsion box system should stiffen it considerably, but perhaps some plywood under it would help.

I would think that either plate would work fine. The steel one is probably a bit stiffer, but depending on your router, may or may not be a problem.

A last point. When you make a torsion box, simply screwing the parts together is inferior to gluing all joints. The glue is what makes the torsion box so rigid. I would probably forgo the lower laminate, and just laminate the top of the table. There is a chance that this might cause warping of the top if you laminate just one side of it, but since you are using the torsion box, it should not be a problem.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.