Thread: Home Made Drum Sander

Home Made Drum Sander

Hello All,
    I decided to start this thread after getting a lot of interest from some comments I made in someone elses. So here is the story...

Over the past few years I have had the opportunity to work with a few DS's. Most of these I made to fullfill a specific need at the time, then due to size and space considerations, I sold them off. I even have built a few of these drum sanders for fellow WW's to meet their specific needs. Not an expert by any means, just an average guy that like to build things.

I need to first appologize for my obvious lack of experience with these fancy desk boxes. These puter things got me all nervous. None of my other tools have this many darn buttons. So bear with me, my pictures or lack of, and my inexperience with the technology side of this.

This is a drawing of a sander that I built some time ago. It has 2 24" sanding drums and 5 pressure / feed rollers. The entire setup was meant to sit on top of a tablesaw and be powered via a link belt and pully that went onto the arbor of the saw. It was also all built from a single conveyor that I picked up at the scrap yard. The bottom feed / support rollers were standard conveyor rollers and were not powered. The stock was fed via your muscles. The sanding drums came from the very end rollers of the conveyor and were locked to their shafts via stick welder! Not saying this is the right way to go about building something like this, but I needed a way to thickness sand on the cheap. The idea worked out very well actually.

Here you can see the way the rollers and drum was mounted. The two drums were tied together with a chain to keep them moving at the same rate on the one end and then tied to the tablesaw arbor on the opposite end. The support rollers were fixed to pieces of steel square tube that rode of threaded rod. The threaded rod controled the table height and was all tied together with more chain. You turn the one tall piece of rod and they would all turn. I used 3/8 X 16 threaded rod so every full revolution would move the table 1/16". Worked very good actually.

I will continue to add to this post for everyone. Otherwise shoot me a email and I can send other types of files. I have a lot of aCad files that are all rendered in 3D. More to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.tgwoodworks.com