Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is torx size for screws on enclosed trailer?

Thanks for posting ted, and welcome!

2. I know this is "alittle" late but S2 square drive works like a champ

If it was six point I would guess Bristol head and Bristol head is often used on thin sheet metal. With eight points probably double square. How many points on a Budd bolt, I think it is 12?
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-26-2019 at 2:08 PM.

I don't know why this thread I started over a decade ago keeps gaining new traction.

Indeed a #2 square is the answer for these. I think they make the screws for faster assembly so the factory worker doesn't have to line up the bit with the square hole. In the past month or I learned there is also a double square bit that could be used with these.

This is really funny. I'm overhauling an old Haulmark enclosed trailer and had the same question- T17? What? After reading this thread, I took a #2 square driver out and of course it works perfectly. Some zombie threads never really die.

Blog Entries
    There is also Torx Plus. Apparently the Torx people wanted to make improvements so now I have to keep a whole new line of drivers around. Grrr...

What you have is most likely not a torx bit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Does anybody have any idea what size torx screws are used on a typical enclosed trailer to hold the skin on? This is a US Cargo brand trailer.

I have a T15 and a T20 bit, but the T15 is too small and the T20 is a hair too big. Is there another size in between or a metric size? (Really doubtful on the metric thing.)

I would ask the dealer, but they are closed until Monday and I really wanted to get this taken apart before then.
    I just made the same mistake yesterday, even though I had previously figured out the answer. Found a screw in which a T20 was too large and a T15 seamed too small as it would slip. After looking closely at the screw I realized that this was not a torx head screw as it had 8 corners. All torx are 6 corners. As others have indicated the #2 square drive fits perfectly and will work in most cases. They also make double square bits to fit these screws which are available at Amazon.

Know it's old posts but it could be these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Railer-Traile...08LNYQQ4P?th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    Know it's old posts but it could be these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Railer-Traile...08LNYQQ4P?th=1
    These will work, but a regular #2 square drive drive bit will also work as I found out after I started this thread back in 2008.