Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welded Mobile Bases

Red face Welded Mobile Bases

I have searched the SMC Forums for "Pictures" of welded mobile bases.

I currently have a typical what I call lightweight factory mobile base on my Delta Contractors Saw 5X, Dewalt Scroll Saw & Delta 14" Bandsaw 5X.

While I am happy with these, especially the Delta unit, I need one for a new piece of equipment.

I just purchased a JET 12" Jointer/Planer Combo. Unit weighs 530 lbs. I am wanting to build a welded heavy gauge (3/16") angle iron mobile stand with ZAMBUS like casters from Great Lakes Caster. These casters can support 220 lbs each rolling and 550 lbs when the pads are down @ a 1/3 of the cost. I am considering using (5) casters, an "H" pattern with one centered off the back as a sort of "outrigger" for support when the jointer table is tilted back wards. With proper design, I should not have to elevate the unit more than a 1/2" when rolling or stationary.

I was hoping for some input and ideas from those of you that have built are at least "paper" designed the ultimate mobile stand. What ever ideas I get I will post the finished product.
    Last edited by Steven DeMars; 04-24-2008 at 1:23 PM.
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

I made this base for a General 650 with 32" rip rails and an Excalibur overarm guard.......Rod.

P.S. It's made from 2" X 2" X3/16" HRS angle. and raises the tablesaw 1/2" above the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 04-24-2008 at 2:25 PM.

Check the forums at owwm.com and search on mobile stands. There are several pictures of interesting welded-up mobile stands for big machines.

hi,
    this base has zambus casters rated at over 2600 # .
    raised the lathe 1 1/2 inches but you can make it raise your machine any height you want . the zambus casters are very stable and easy to lower and raise. i made the stand wider and longer than the lathe footprint.the lathe is bolted to the stand and is adjustable up and down.this stand weights about 100# and it is holding about 900#. when the pads are down it is as if it was on the floor. tim mathis.
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

Any chance . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tim mathis View Post
    hi,
    this base has zambus casters rated at over 2600 # .
    raised the lathe 1 1/2 inches but you can make it raise your machine any height you want . the zambus casters are very stable and easy to lower and raise. i made the stand wider and longer than the lathe footprint.the lathe is bolted to the stand and is adjustable up and down.this stand weights about 100# and it is holding about 900#. when the pads are down it is as if it was on the floor. tim mathis.
    Any chance you have a few more pictures? That is a very nice stand. What type of finish did you go with . . . very nice!

steven ,
    i don't think i have any pictures of the lathe off the stand, the paint is gloss black with gold paint flung on to create a web pattern.then i applied a clear coat.

Tim, that's a really nice base. On the Zambus casters, they have a little star wheel you have to turn to lower the pad.

It would seem that it doesn't actually lift the wheel off the ground, just make snug contact with the ground to stop the wheel from rolling.

A few questions please:

How many turns does it take it lower them down?

How hard is it to turn them (physically and in regards to is it a pain in the posterior to bend down and turn them)?

Lastly, where do you buy them...their site only has a section for requesting a price quote. That always makes me think that they are ridiculously expensive.

Be well,

Doc

hi don,
    it takes 21 half turns to lower the pad from the fully raised position.( so 10 1/2 turns)

it is very easy to turn up and down with your thumb.i have a small woodcraft level on each end of the stand to make sure the lathe is level. and it is easy to get it level everytime. it is quick to do.

on their site there is a phone number you must call to order them.
    mine are # ac-600.they are not cheap. they move very easily and lock solid. once the pads are down the wheel is almost off the ground (you could move it from side to side. ) there is a nut you could turn (under the star wheel ) with a wrench that would lift the wheel off the ground . but i don't think that would be necessary.
    tim in centerville, ohio

Steven,

I have the Great Lakes Casters Zambus style casters on my bandsaw and the locking Hartville tool casters on my Delta 15" planer that is listed at 340 lbs. Let me know if you want to come over to check them out.

Kurt

Not to hijack the thread, but since all the welders are here... Anybody care to comment on a good MIG rig? Without getting into religion, Miller v. Lincoln?

Tim.. if I may ask... how did you get the picture so large as the site tells me I can go no higher than 106 kb I believe? I am kind of ignorant with these computer things and my pics come out very small when sized down to meet those requirements?

Thanks...

Sarge..

I think I might be able to answer that... The size of a picture doesn't necessarily correlate to the size of the file due to compression. The jpg standard provides a 10 levels of quality, so if you have the capability of saving your jpg at a lower quality level, you will create a file of a smaller size. There are many factors at play in jpg compression, and you may find that a lower quality jpg doesn't impact the picture that much.

Interestingly, although not really relevant for web pics, the "size" of a picture is also not related to the resolution. On the web, that sort of gets lost, and pictures get displayed based on the number of pixels involved. So a 4' x 5' 100 dpi picture displays the same as a 2' x 2.5' 200 dpi picture. But, for some applications where size is king, resampling or cropping down to a lower resolution may help as well.

You might also try saving the file as a png (portable network graphics). I think they are supposed to be smaller.

Miller is by far . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but since all the welders are here... Anybody care to comment on a good MIG rig? Without getting into religion, Miller v. Lincoln?
    I THINK Miller by far is the most durable machine available. Max amperage of machine plays a part in selection of which model. I have a Millermatic 251 - that will handle 1/2" steel in one pass. That is way overkill for making items around the house that will probably be constructed of square tube, pipe & sheetmetal. The best place to go is lurk at the following forums.

http://millerwelds.com/resources/communities/

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

Sorry Lincoln guys, they do not sponsor a forum. I have a Lincoln stick machine also. Lincoln's smaller MIG units are sold at Walmart, Lowes, etc . . . Miller is only from a dealer. Hobart can be purchased at Sears for one.

hi eric,
    i am a welder by trade. i have used all types and brands. first you have to decide what you want it to do. the thickness you will most often weld with it and the power supply( 110 v - you can take any where and plug it up and weld.
    220 v - will weld thicker metals in one pass.)

Miller migs are my favorite, they are also the most expensive .

Lincoln migs and Hobart migs are very good machines.

if you went with any one of these brands you would have a great welder.

i have owned a hobart mig for about 20 years and it has seen heavy use at times and i have not had problem one out of it.
    if price was no consideration i would go with the millers , based on my personal experiences in using the welders all day long.
    but if you want one to use every now and then and still be of high quality i am sure you would love the Lincoln or the Hobart.
    hope this helps tim in centerville, ohio.

Thanks for the picture explanation as it is what I expected, Eric. What I expected was that I wouldn't have a clue even after it was explained and that proves to be true. My wife understood about every word.. but she can't pick up a sharp chisel without cutting herself. So... things all balance out I suppose.

Again thanks for your attempt to make it clear to someone that is quite fogged in on the subject.

Regards...

Sarge..