Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stack dado problem

Smile I hope this helps . . .

I have a Delta Contractors, very little use on it . . . My saw, same as you I'm sure has "ACME" type threads on the arbor. You are in luck, I also have a new Freud 8" Dado Set that comes in the Red Carrying case. I just walked out to the shop and initially experienced the same problem.

I tripped over the solution.

1. make sure your arbor is as high as it will go, "better access"

2. hold the chippers, spacers, etc . . @ 9:00 & 3:00

3. approach from the side where you are facing the end of the arbor.

4. I found that in this position I was able to slip all pieces on easily.

5. yes, the shims dropped into the threads, but a little feathering on the bottom like drumming with your fingers while doing the same on the face of the shim that slid right on.

6. yes, the tolerances are really tight, but they will slide on

7. also make sure you don't have a burr on your arbor from a dropped blade from a prior changing, or a scar caused by the plates used normally to hold a single blade.
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try a light go around with some emery cloth and see if that helps. The cuts were great, easily equal to what I had been doing with a router, but the time saving and convenience I'd hoped for was all eaten up in wrestling the blades on and off. At least I know my experience was not as a result of something I did, didn't do or did in the wrong order. Thanks again.

I had a similar problem with my Freud shims and someone recommended the Veritas plastic shims from Lee Valley. Also, they have a slot cut so that you can remove the shims without removing chippers. They work much better for me. Not very expensive either.

Maybe your first (or now next) stop should be to

Freud Tech Support 800-472-7307

Brent... I had the same problem with my Freud dado set. What I did was similar to sanding the holes in the blades, but I went in a little different direction. I ran my saw with no blade and "cleaned" the arbor with a brown scotchbrite pad. It only took maybe 60 seconds of light pressure and it took care of the problem.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Joseph View Post
    Freud Tech Support 800-472-7307
    Steve,

Thanks for posting the number. Even though I check this forum at least once a day and will happily answer any questions or concerns, I hope that all will use it when they need an answer faster than I might be able to see a thread here.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

I have a Delta contractors saw and had the same problem several years ago; I don't remember the brand of dado blades. I took it back and purchased a different brand. Bottom line, the blades should fit snug but not to the point of struggle like you describe. I'd be carefull about messing with your arbor as you could mess it up for all blades. The problem is with the hole size in the dados. The best recomendation is to call Frued.

Bottom line, Freud blades fit tight. (A good thing)

Rookie Mistake With Freud Dado Set

I installed a Freud Pro Dado Set on my PM2000 with some shims (total of .050") only to have a shim drop into the thread grove of the arbor. When I snugged up the arbor nut I didn't realize the chippers had not all snugged up as the shims acted as a blockage to the last couple of chippers. Well needless to say when I turned on the saw I heard a clank as two of the chippers were damaged by major carbide chips coming off .

Repair cost would equal the cost of a new dado set, so I spent the bucks and bought the new Freud Super Dado set. Chalk it all up to a rookie mistake. Fortunately I have been taught never to stand directly behind the blade path so I have no idea where the carbide chips went. (I also had my safety glasses on) This was an expensive learning experience but one that will make me a more cautious tool user!

Blog Entries
    My SD508 fits quite snug on my 22124 too. It doesn't take more than a few moments of wiggling and definitly one at a time (two will not budge if you try them at the same time). 20 minutes seems excessive.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Does it take this long to fit the blades and chippers on if you leave out the shims? Problems with shims dropping into the threads and impeding proper installation of chippers and blades can be handled various ways. Magnetic shims make it very simple.

The problem is with the hole size in the dados. The best recomendation is to call Frued.[/quote]

Not trying to be critical of your statement, but I would be more confident of Freud's quality control than the saw manufacturers. The arbor dia tolerances within a particular mfg could vary enough to cause problems. Add to that the numerous brands and questionable quality control of the Asian imports leads me to think the issue is with the saw and not Freud. I have no ax to grind for Freud, just my experience with their quality. John

Magnetic Shims

I want to buy some. Who sells them! If you have a source I would like to hear about it. Thanks.

Magnetic shims are probably available from many vendors. The ones I have are from grizzly: http://grizzly.com/products/Magnetic...5-8-Bore/G6099

Information Appreciated

Thanks for the very prompt reply. I will look into the Grizzley source you referenced.