Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "shop class" project ideas

"shop class" project ideas

Hi all, great looking forum!

I'm relatively new to woodworking and have built a few things now. I'm currently enjoying working on a walnut harvest table for grandma as well as assembling all the necessaries for "my first shop" (and really enjoying the slippery slope...).

My first question to the panel is about "simple" projects. You see, I'm involved in a summer youth camp and am hoping to share the joys of woodworking with the older kids--13-15 years old. I'm looking for ideas for projects that involve minimal power tool use, i.e. maybe a sander, and maybe the bandsaw; and maximum satisfaction. I'm thinking of obvious things like pine boxes with lap joints using backsaws and block planes, etc. but looking for slightly more interesting ideas...

I've been trying to recall my little projects in Industrial Arts class--I can only remember making a little wooden boat and cutting board, but I can't imagine using a table saw in grade 7 so i'm wondering things like how we milled up the wood for the cutting board... must have used a bandsaw--there's no way we used a table saw, right? Or am I being paranoid? (Or maybe the stock was provided, but that's kinda boring.)

Any general advice or ideas in the area of facilitating little, easy, satisfying projects with small groups will be greatly appreciated!

There must be a few shop teachers around this here forum...

Hello Nigel and welcome to the Creek.

If you’re around water, how about a canoe oar. Some other ideas off the top of my little head and a little browsing;
    cd holders, jewelery boxes, small chests, dog house, corner shelves, picture frames, desk top shelf, small decorative surfboards, bar stool, log foot stool or ottoman, whirligigs, plant stands, or small boxes.

Good luck and glad to see you working with the young.

hey check out your local library for woodworking books, my library has dozens of books with easy projects for beginners, im sure youll find something you like

My fiancee and I built a birdhouse/feeder on sunday using nothing but a miter saw, sander and a router. A chop saw is much safer than a table saw and if you have a model with the proper built in hold downs it is a one hand operation. It was nothing to brag about when completed but if I had built it in the 7th grade I would have been very proud of myself, hah. We used 1x6's and didn't have to rip anything down.

My 12 year old son knows his way around the shop pretty good. This year was his first year in "Shop" class and he brought home a fish shaped oven rack slider thing as well as a few nick nack things. He was really disappointed with the class as he has me for a father and is used to a little more chalenging requests. the shop is totally outfitted but students are only allowed to use the sanders and scroll saws. Bandsaw if the instructor is present. In talking to the shop teacher, I found out that the entire shop has been limited to the student use of these tools for safety reasons for a few years now. He also stated that he has a really hard time finding interesting projects that the kids can get into because of these reasons. Now I understand the whole safety thing, but come on people. My son has been trained to use specific tools in the shop safely. And he does. Not saying that every kid would act this way, but ....

On to your question, I have always thought that the students should be able to decide what to build. Promote that creative energy that so many of them depend on video games to do for them. You will get a few of them that will want to make an entertainment center or something, but most are going to find practicle items to build. You never know what they are going to come at you with, but wood was being worked far before there was a powered saw in the shop.

Unfortunately everything in this country has to be designed for the dumbest person. Some grown ups I would not let near rotating equipment let alone youngsters. That is great your son not only shows an interest in WW but excels at it. My advice would be for you to advance his talent not a shop class. Good call on the students coming up with the ideas. Getting them interested in projects rather than telling them what to be involved in is the only way to learn em'.

Blog Entries
    Jig saws are even safer than a bandsaw. I know I used one as early as 7th grade unsupervised. For projects, bird houses are pretty popular and can be made with only hand tools. There are lots of styles to choose from.

Wooden book ends or small what not shelves.

Kids love critter cages made from wood and metal window screen.

The cub scouts have the pine wood racers both cars and sail boats.

Kite string winders, napkin rings, key organizers, wood trivets, cutting boards with fancy shapes, rubber band racers
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here is a relatively simple project, as presented here:

http://benchmark.20m.com/plans/Shake...erCDHolder.pdf

While the kids could probably not do the dovetailing, they could do a dado joint, or even a butt joint and screws for construction.

When I was in shop class, we did a book rack, cutting two pieces the same shape (it really does not matter what) and then connecting the two halves with dowels, glued into one of them, and letting the other piece slide along the dowels to hold the books.

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post

While the kids could probably not do the dovetailing, they could do a dado joint, or even a butt joint and screws for construction.

When I was in shop class, we did a book rack, cutting two pieces the same shape (it really does not matter what) and then connecting the two halves with dowels, glued into one of them, and letting the other piece slide along the dowels to hold the books.

Doc
    I agree, a simple bookshelf is a great way to teach woodworking skills to 7th -9th graders. More important than the project though, is they learn to "square up" rough stock lumber. When I was in Jr. High you were not allowed to touch a machine until you could recite the 6 steps to sqaring a board:
    1. Smooth the first face
    2. Smooth the first edge
    3. Rip to width plus 1/16", smooth 2nd egde
    4. Smooth second face, planning to thickness
    5. square 1st end cutting off about 1/2"
    6. square 2nd end to length.

To do this, you have to use a planner, jointer, tablesaw, the staples of woodworking machines. Kids need to be taught these machines are dangerous if used improperly, but kids can use these machines with supervision from an adult until they become comfortable working with the machines. The only difference between Greg's bookrack and my first book rack made in the 7th grade, my shelves were supported by dados and wood glue.

I think my first woodshop class in Jr. High resulted in a spice rack for mom. Birdhouses/feeders would be cool too.
    Use the fence Luke

Holy smokes--great forum indeed!

Thanks very much for all the ideas and suggestions. I really like a few of them and will surely take all your advice to heart.

Not being overly experienced in working with kids and tools, I was looking for some guidance on what was regular practice regarding safety, and nearly every response helped shed some light on that topic. Thanks!

I look forward to seeing you all around on the message boards.

Nigel

Step Stool

Hi Nigel- I teach a basic tool introduction as part of a freshman (college) Stagecraft class- all the students have to do a basic project- they get to pick either a step stool or one of two shelf projects. As we speak, I have a pile of 14 of the sitting outside my door waiting to be graded. I do it in combination with a "how to read drawings" discussion and make sure that the plans I give them require them to use at least three saws (at least one curve in each project) and do basic shop math. If you want the plans I use, let me know and I can email them to you.
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post

Doc
    That was my very first project in High School Woodshop.It has a dado and a rabbet.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Hi Nigel,

You might want to look at the "I Can Do That" feature in Popular Woodworking magazine. We started this a couple years ago with the idea of presenting good designs that could be created with a minimal amount of tools and time. We've heard from several groups that have used these projects in a situation such as you describe. The link below has some free plans and resources.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/icandothat

Bob Lang

Boot jack.

A profile of a duck cut out on a bandsaw and smoothed/shaped with a spoke shave then added wings cut out of a gallon metal mineral spirits can. One wing is nailed to the backside of the cutout pointing up the other is nailed onto the front side of the cutout then bent 180 so it points down. Add a pop top hanger for the back and your all set.

A candy dish cut out of a thick block of wood and shaped/carved out.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.