Thread: Sketchup question - equidistant spacing

Sketchup question - equidistant spacing

This is my first SU - took about 2 hours after watching lots of videos. I know I'm gonna like this app!!!!!!!!!!

My question (first of many).... I can't seem to be able to tell the program to place objects along a path with equal spacing. Note the corbels in the sketch below.

Aside from snapping to a grid, is there a way to:

1. Sub-divide an area, such as the mantle's apron?

2. Place objects along a path and "accordion" the assembly without stretching the components? The blocks are 4,4,4 and need to stay that size whether the mantle is 50" long or 80" long.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Make the corbel at one end. Use Move&Copy to make another at the other end. Type /N, then hit Enter. N is the number of copies to be placed between the two ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Make the corbel at one end. Use Move&Copy to make another at the other end. Type /N, then hit Enter. N is the number of copies to be placed between the two ends.
    That is too slick, works like a charm. I knew there was a way... Thank you.

I love that one as well as using: *N

That one repeats what you just did N times. I usually move a copy x" away and do *N to get N many copies x" apart from one another. It's very similar to /N except that /N is handy when you have a start and an end point and have some math to do do to get 'em equal. *N is handy for when you need a bunch of the same thing a specific distance apart (like 16" OC studs, for example).
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Anything known about stretching? ...be nice to be able to lengthen something without needing to re-do the attached parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I tried doing this just to learn a new technique and can't seem to get it to work. I just made a simple rectangle and copied it to another location, so I have 2 rectangles. Do I need to highlight anything before typing /N? Typing /N after I create the second rectangle doesn't do anything. Where do I type this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Anything known about stretching? ...be nice to be able to lengthen something without needing to re-do the attached parts.
    Stretch is probably the tool I use the least. About the only time I use it is for "mirroring" a component.

For making something complicated longer or shorter, I use the move tool. It's a little complicated to type out, but basically I only select the edges that actually move. By moving just those edges, it effectively stretches what you want.

The stretch tool itself does more than that - it actually proportionally changes the size of EVERYTHING in the dimensions you change. So that really messes with things when you want a complex thing to match a different size.

Let me see if I can find a video of the move operation I so horribly described...

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...7189&lineup=-1

Dave does a fabulous job of teaching this stuff
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I tried doing this just to learn a new technique and can't seem to get it to work. I just made a simple rectangle and copied it to another location, so I have 2 rectangles. Do I need to highlight anything before typing /N? Typing /N after I create the second rectangle doesn't do anything. Where do I type this?
    Matt,

Here's a video that might help you get the hang of it:

Basically it's Move/Copy to the desired location. Once you click it into place, DO NOTHING ELSE - just type /N ... or *N ... if you click away, it won't work. If you select a different tool, it won't work. Gotta dance the right steps!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Ah, I got it now. I watched (only watched, the volume didn't work) this movie from the same site that Jason referred me to:

The trick is to hold Control down before you click on the component and copy it.

Thanks! Both /N and *N will come in handy.

Just a note, you can also just Tap the CTRL key - look for the plus sign next to your mouse cursor - that tells you you're in a copy mode. This is useful in a handful of other tools, too.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com