Thread: TS purchase advice wanted

1. Question TS purchase advice wanted

Hi Folks.

I am interested in upgrading my super powerful Craftsman Direct Drive (feel the 3 HP power ). Yehhh... It was a gift. I REALLY enjoyed cutting the 8/4 maple legs on my last project

I have been looking for quite a while and have narrowed my search.

I have decided a hybrid is probably what I want.... Better dust control - I do not have 220 - would rather have the smaller depth w/o the motor hanging off the back - would want cast wings.

I really like the Jet JPS-10. Looks solid. 1 3/4 HP. I like the fence/wings/etc. I can get it locally for 699.00. It sounds like it is getting solid reviews.

However....

The Craftsman Club ad at 549.99 made me look at the 22114. Essentially a Steel City unit... it had some good qualities at 549.99. Two things that bothered me a bit was the fence rails... WHY is it centered on the table shortening the rip width ? Has anybody moved the whole thing over to the right? and also, having visited 3 Sears stores... can't any store set one up right? The tilt wheel wasn't even connected properly at the Mall of America store!! It is also only a 1.5 HP.(-)

The steel city hybrid was nice... but I have not found it in the same price range....

What advice can you offer. I know many of you own the 22114.

As a former Kenmore manufacturer employee who handled Merchandising, advertising and POP displays... Did anybody else notice the TS mobile base on the Craftsman Club Flyer seems to have a bent wheel ? or is it just turned in a bad angle ?

Thank you for your input and advice....

Hi David - I'm a fan of hybrids too...the design makes alot of sense compared to a traditional contractor saw with an outboard motor, and is an excellent choice for folks without 220v who can't get a full blown 3hp cabinet saw. The hybrids have many of the same advantages, though with less power and a lighter duty rating.

The Jet Proshop is getting great reviews and comments. Nice fence, nice one piece cast arbor carriage/blade shroud, efficient drive system, and good DC containment.

The 22114 has similar guts to the 22124, but the fences aren't all that comparable IMO. Both have cabinet mounted trunnions that are easy to adjust and add a ton of mass. The fence on the 22114 seems functional but not in the same class as the Biese or the Jet's fence. I have seen people move the fence to the right for more capacity. $550 for the 22114 is a good price that leaves some wiggle room. You might find the fence to be more than adequate, but I bet you could sell the stock fence for $60-$100 and put that money towards a Delta T2 on sale ($125) and have a pretty slick setup for a tad over $600 total. You're not likely to notice the power difference between 1.5 and 1.75hp...blade and alignment make far more difference.

Be sure to leave a few dollars for a decent blade. I've had great results with some top shelf TK's, and even some decent bargain blades on my 22124.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-18-2008 at 8:40 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hello David,
    You might want to have a look at the Ridgid @ Home Depot.
    They have $100 off on them right now - which brings the cost down to $459.
    From everything I've read online, they offer a lot of bang for the buck.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

4. With the Ridgid... every one I have seen (in store) has been really shaky... plus, I would rather not have the motor hanging out the back... I am planning on mounting a router table to it, and I didn't care for the support arms on the Ridgid fence...

Thank you all for your input...

Dave

I just looked at my c-club flier and I think the 22114 is $594 not 549. I have the 22124 and love it but at 600 I might really consider the Jet

Craftsman table saws appear to have come a very long way since I bought mine about 12 years ago. However, if you think you might ever be in a position to sell your saw, going with a JET or Steel City will likely get you better a resale price. The Craigslist cup overflows with Craftsman power tools. Other brands are a litter harder to come by and typically fetch a better price.

Just something to consider.