Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got nailed on compliance today

Red face Got nailed on compliance today

I live in SC and do signage for apartments and new construction. We have a state agency called the Department of Health and Environmental Control (fondly referred to as DHEC). They inspect and permit public swimming pools among other things. I made some signs for a pool that per their reg requires the letters to be 6" and 4". I cut a mask over aluminum with laser and painted the signs. I failed to recognize that when I had the text grouped and set the height at 6", that each letter was not necessarily 6". Some of the letters came out 3/16" shy of the requirement. In haste to get them out, I didn't catch it.

The inspector..apparently an old hand at this, actually took out a tape and measured each letter. Turned down the permit over 3/16" of an inch, which in a sign that big would not affect anything relative to the message being conveyed. I was wrong, he was right, but I thought it bit ridiculous.

Soooo..their's a good bit of talk here about their being no enforcement on some signs, such as ADA. If ya live in South Carolina, you better comply to the letter of the regs, coz they got their public servants doing their job here.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Wow, that's pretty amazing to me. Around here they seem to care more about permits than anything else, which of course is revenue to the City.

For others that may not realize it, in a sign design program 6" letters mean that the flat letters like E and T are 6", the round ones like O and S are slightly taller. So, if you use something like corel, group and stretch to 6" your rounded letters will be 6" but the flat ones under.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Question 3/16th's shy~

that inspector may be, in my opinion, rather,the passive one at home I would surmise. That is absolutely ridiculous and absurd and rather a capricious voluntary judgment on his part ~ you have got to be kidding me! 3/16ths of an inch ~ you know what is behind that rigid judgment, coming up short 3/16ths of an inch ,and why it won't pass ~ guess! I feel bad for you Larry ~ seriously,
    What a world we live in now a days, people suing a burger joint because there overweight ~ a bugler suing a homeowner because he locked himself in the garage after shutting the entrance door to the garage , the garage door being broken, and claims to have suffered mental anguish and malnourished for 7 days surviving on the Pepsi and dog food ~ went to a trial ,sued for $70,000~ judgment, ~$32,000 ~ I could go on and on, but this is a friendly place and I know the limit ~ well, I guess you have to be more precise next time Larry.
    My best,
    Brian
    Brian

Larry,

All of the new facilities we are building at CNU are state buildings, the final inspection is done by a state inspection group who provide our permits to occupy. They check every detail including our ADA signs. We also have a very comprehensive inspection from the state Fire Marshall's Office so we are serious about compliance with the building codes and regulations at CNU. My supervisor in the University Architect, he is responsible for implementing the entire construction program from permits to final inspections by the state. I haven't known him to miss any code violations in the five years that I have been at CNU, he has a keen eye and a lifetime of experience

Tough break Larry. You are absolutely right about SC. The laws governing signage are very strictly enforced, particularly it seems in the Hilton Head area.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Larry, Larry, Larry....... haven't you learned anything since you've owned your laser? You should have quickly whipped out your laser produced clear acrylic scale (ruler) and shown that it was exactly a perfect 6"

You can even call him back and meet him over there. Let him use your scale to measure it When he compares it to his tape measure, you can tell him that those are mass produced and often off by as much as 1/4"

Keith, send those inspectors my way. I've got some goverment buildings they need to visit. Along with hospitals, restaurants, etc. It's some of the most hit and miss enforcement I have seen.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Well friends, their is a bit of good news. My customer e-mailed me today and told me that the inspector was actually training 2 NEW inspectors. He took 2-1/2 hours to inspect this pool (my unlucky day). He said, that after they left, he measured the letters and did find some to be off by 1/8". I offered him a credit for the signs, since he grabbed some from a pool supply place to get the pool open and he REFUSED the credit. He said that in no way was he displeased with my workmanship and I owed him nothing, considered it to be a fluke. I felt good about him offering that..but in the long run I will give it back to him. Great customers like him are hard to find, so you gotta take care of them. I have a $15K contract with him on another project, so they will be opportunity to do that.

I still think the whole thing is a tad bit ridiculous. I have been working in new construction many years now with architects and all kinds of inspectors. I have seen them miss major things and nit-pick things that didn't amount to a lot like this.

However...No Scott, it's not negotiable. HIS tape is ALWAYS right if he chooses for it to be.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Department of Health and Environmental Control (fondly referred to as DHEC).
    SORRY Larry - I bit my tounge as long as I could...

So when he rejected the letters did you have an Abbot and Costello moment to kindly say "What DHEC?"

Seriously - the signs are a by product on this one... The great return customer is the true jewel...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

Keith, send those inspectors my way. I've got some government buildings they need to visit. Along with hospitals, restaurants, etc. It's some of the most hit and miss enforcement I have seen.
    Scott,

Hospitals and other private buildings are not inspected by the state BCOM organization, I believe the local building inspection office has jurisdiction. Government buildings that have been in service don't receive any re-inspections that I know of but it seems there is definitely a need to assure they remain in compliance.

If you build a new building for the state there is a requirement to have a full-time Clerk of the Works on projects above a certain price tag. A Clerk of the Works is basically a Project Inspector responsible for every phase of the project and every craft. This provide a much more comprehensive inspection system than an inspector that comes when he is called and inspects just his craft, many things are overlooked and fall through the cracks using the local inspection office. Our system also requires third party Inspection Groups to participate, one represents the University and one is hired by our Architectural firm to make sure the project specifications are enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Beckham View Post
    SORRY Larry - I bit my tounge as long as I could...

So when he rejected the letters did you have an Abbot and Costello moment to kindly say "What DHEC?"

Seriously - the signs are a by product on this one... The great return customer is the true jewel...
    Steve:
    Very clever..I am sure I can use THAT in the fulture! I did make a similar comment but a bit stronger!

I'll play the Devil's advocate here since I have spent a major portion of my life as an Inspector.

Rarely are Inspectors given the authority to accept situations that are out of tolerance. Then there is the question of how far out of tolerance is reasonable even if the Inspector had the option...3/16", 1/4" or 1/2"? How flexible do you think an Inspector should be, remember your idea of nitpicking may not be the same as the Inspectors Supervisor. Often an Inspector will put his/her job in jeopardy when they turn their heads, this is the job that feeds their family and pays the bills.

If you make a mistake why would you expect someone else to risk their job and accept work that does not meet the specification?

Secondly, you should never argue with an Inspector. You may ask questions and you can inquire about his judgment but you should never allow any conversation to become argumentative or make a confrontational statement. This just makes the Inspector mad and won't buy you any slack, in fact it will often work against you.....to the max. If you feel that you haven't been treated fairly you should take your case up with the Inspection Supervisor, never argue with an Inspector on the job. You will be better off to admit your job is out of tolerance and hope the final decision goes your way rather than expecting/demanding to receive approval for work that is not in compliance with the specification.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-21-2008 at 7:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I'll play the Devil's advocate here since I have spent a major portion of my life as an Inspector.

Rarely are Inspectors given the authority to accept situations that are out of tolerance. Then there is the question of how far out of tolerance is reasonable even if the Inspector had the option...3/16", 1/4" or 1/2"? How flexible do you think an Inspector should be, remember your idea of nitpicking may not be the same as the Inspectors Supervisor. Often an Inspector will put his/her job in jeopardy when they turn their heads, this is the job that feeds their family and pays the bills.

If you make a mistake why would you expect someone else to risk their job and accept work that does not meet the specification?

Secondly, you should never argue with an Inspector. You may ask questions and you can inquire about his judgment but you should never allow any conversation to become argumentative or make a confrontational statement. This just makes the Inspector mad and won't buy you any slack, in fact it will often work against you.....to the max. If you feel that you haven't been treated fairly you should take your case up with the Inspection Supervisor, never argue with an Inspector on the job. You will be better off to admit your job is out of tolerance and hope the final decision goes your way rather than expecting/demanding to receive approval for work that is not in compliance with the specification.

My dear Mr Outten..I too have spent most of my adult working life in something related to construction. Sixty three years on this earth and have encountered a lot of inspectors, owners and the like and have always worked with them successfully.

Firstly, no one has the asked the inspector to do anything outside of what he is supposed to do. I was first to admit he was right and I was wrong. But, an inspectors main job is to protect the public..especially in the case of the DHEC. Let us remember he is a public servant and I as a TAXPAYER help pay his salary. I as a taxpayer, would expect nothing less from him except to do his job. I happen to think, however, that their has to be some tolerence in everything. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world. All I can say is, that if that is all the inspector has to do is to seek out small indescrepencies that cause no harm to anyone, maybe that department needs to find some duties for him, like checking compliance on ADA..huh?

And for secondly..you are quite right. The local authority is always the "boss". Right or wrong..he's still the boss. I was not on the job personally when the inspection took place. My customer, the GC, handled it.
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 04-21-2008 at 4:45 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    My dear Mr Outten..I too have spent most of my adult working life in something related to construction. Sixty three years on this earth and have encountered a lot of inspectors, owners and the like and have always worked with them successfully.

Firstly, no one has the asked the inspector to do anything outside of what he is supposed to do. I was first to admit he was right and I was wrong. But, an inspectors main job is to protect the public..especially in the case of the DHEC. Let us remember he is a public servant and I as a TAXPAYER help pay his salary. I as a taxpayer, would expect nothing less from him except to do his job. I happen to think, however, that their has to be some tolerence in everything. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world. All I can say is, that if that is all the inspector has to do is to seek out small indescrepencies that cause no harm to anyone, maybe that department needs to find some duties for him, like checking compliance on ADA..huh?

And for secondly..you are quite right. The local authority is always the "boss". Right or wrong..he's still the boss. I was not on the job personally when the inspection took place. My customer, the GC, handled it.
    And I John Q Public ..shall sleep better tonite knowing that the sign letters will be 6 inches as opposed to 5 and 7/8ths...Good grief..is this what your tax dollars are going toward?

Steven, if the standard is 6" then it's 6", if you're not in compliance then do it again. Not too hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    Steven, if the standard is 6" then it's 6", if you're not in compliance then do it again. Not too hard to understand.
    That would be right. It's either right or wrong. I demonstrated my willingness to correct it, but my customer concurred with the idea that it was ridculous. My point is that the inspectors time would be better spent (and tax payers money) on things that would be a true threat to public health, which, an 1/8" discrepency in a letter height ain't!