Thread: SketchUp

SketchUp

I have been trying to come to grips with the Google SketchUp CAD software and have found that I apparently have a learning disability! In theory, the program seems as though it should be very intuitive to use and very user friendly, but dispite repeated tutorial sessions and toying around with the functions and tools, I can not seem to grasp the fundamentals firmly enough to get beyond the most rudimentary drawings. I am just wondering how others have mastered to beast and enabled themselves to put their ideas on paper?

Wes, I had used 2D CAD programs for several years before trying SketchUp. The learning curve from 2D to 3D took me a while but I found that watching tutorials was the best help. Watch the tutorials then practice and practice some more. You will have to invest several hours into the learning process before you become proficient. Here are some tutorial links just in case you haven't seen them yet. Ron.

http://download.sketchup.com/downloa...Tutorials.html

http://www.caddtutorialsonline.com/s...tutorials.html

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...7189&lineup=-1

One problem one needs to overcome with SketchUp! is to not consider it a "CAD" system. It's a drawing/illustration tool and doesn't work like almost any CAD application out there. They work primarily on a system of points, distances and angles entered via commands rather than drawing. SketchUp!, while supporting those things to a certain degree, primarily works as a visual drawing tool. And admittedly, working in a 3D space is going to be more difficult for some than for others; specifically dealing with some of the interesting quirks that come into play with both the application and how it works. The best advise I can give is to continue to practice on simpler drawings as an act of discovery. I've learned a lot of interesting things when using SketchUp! just like that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep, fully agree with Jim. You just gotta play with it and watch the tutorials. The way it does things is different...simpler...but different. Have fun!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

sketchList

Try SketckList 3D coming out may 1rst (User friendly) Price ??
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Yea, you just have to play with it for a while and it helps if you know how to deal with inventor and have taken computer drafting classes, ive been really lovin the sketch-up so far

Just a couple of things you can do with it couple small furniture pieces...

^end of a SoundStream XXX10000 amplifier

And just all sorts of other things. Just remember it's all about making a complete figure and then extruding it and then if you want something off of that you make a complete figure off of that again and extrude it.

BTW, hey everyone...my name's Doug and im new to this forum, hopefully it's going to be a good one.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful insights regarding SketchUp. I've learned that use and experience are probably the best teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Terry View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your helpful insights regarding SketchUp. I've learned that use and experience are probably the best teachers.
    Wes, been there, done that.

In the case of sketchup experience may not be the best teacher for a new user. I wasted many hours getting "experienced." Go to Amazon and buy Google SketchUp for Dummies, no offense intended. I learned more in a few hours than I had in weeks of using tutorials and trial and errors. Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 5 are all you need to get up to speed. There are also supporting videos on utube.

Check it out at: http://www.aidanchopra.com/

Larry

Blog Entries
    I fought it to the point of giving up. I then had one of those "ah-ha" moments and the idea of "space" became clear. A decade or so of 2D programs had me a bit handicapped apparently. I kept trying and taking the tutorials over and over and over. Suddenly I had the "ah-ha" experiance and it all fell into place.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

sketchup cost

Is there a free version that I can use for simple furniture design? If so, where can I get it?

What to the more advanced versions cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    Is there a free version that I can use for simple furniture design? If so, where can I get it?

What to the more advanced versions cost?
    http://sketchup.google.com/download/
    The basic version is free.
    The more advanced version (there are only two versions) adds features you will probably never use for woodworking (program for integrating with presentations and exporting to cad formats).

If you really find you have some need for the pro version, let me know and i'll see what I can do (I work for Google, though not on sketchup).

Thanks for your help.