Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone work at home depot or lowes?

anyone work at home depot or lowes?

i put in my application to both places today. i was curious how it is to work at either place and what the pay is like.

i figure its gonna be a paycut from where im at now but anythings gotta be better then what im doing now (data entry, sitting at a desk staring at a computer all day) ive done it for 10 years and want to do something different.

i go to HD and lowes 2-3 times a week i figure i might as well get a job there

Blog Entries
    Oh, you will just love it here! Just wait a few days and you will find plenty to read about. By the way, do you have thick skin?
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

unless you are referring to the general lack of enthusiasm around here for the borgs im not following you

Blog Entries
    If you are like me, you probably know the store better than most of the folks who work there. Good luck with the job change.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

"anyone work at home depot or lowes?"

Well, I've seen the cashiers working occasionally, and I've seen guys driving fork lifts around, and I can remember a few times that I've even gotten some of the floor walkers to notice that I'd like some help, so I suppose you could say at least someone there works some of the time although I'm not sure the number that work is the same number that draw a paycheck.

(Yeah, I know that's not what the OP meant. )
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

If you know your stuff you will get over worked making up for the ones who don't.

When I was building there was a guy in electrical, Matt I think was his name, who really knew his stuff. I could send mama in with a note and he always hooked up the right stuff. He was far from the norm and whenever someone needed help on something even close to unusual they went and found him.

Nothing on the company itself. Asking the employees during work isn't a great way to get info and asking them out after will get you a date or stalking charges depending.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post

Nothing on the company itself. Asking the employees during work isn't a great way to get info and asking them out after will get you a date or stalking charges depending.

Joe

lol yeah so true

i did ask one lady that worked there how she liked it and she said she had worked there 1-1/2 years and enjoyed it. she said pay was pretty good for full time but didnt elaborate.

I knew a guy that worked for Home Depot, then got fired after his odd sense of humor got him in trouble with a customer. He then went to Lowe's and stayed a year or so before going on disability due to a medical issue. His complaint was that as a cashier, he would page help for a customer and they would have to wait a long time (both places).

There are websites that show pay at various places:

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ly_Rate/by_Job

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...nc/Hourly_Rate

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hello Mike,
    I started working part time in 1966 stocking shelves in a retail/wholesale outlet of the Glidden Paint company.
    I left retail in 1988 to go back to school to learn computers, which is the filed I've been in since 1990.

In 18 years of the computer field, I'd guesstimate I've run across, maybe, a total of 5 "unreasonable petty people".

(oops for got to add that along the way I did a stint with Builders Square in the mid 80's)

OTOH - in retail - you see twice that number - in a single day- prior to your first break...

Most of the "horror stories" you read online about the borg, while true, give you only one side of the story.

For retail - either HD or Lowes, you need, number one, numero uno, the ability to deal with petty annoying people on a constant basis. - and understand that a number of those people come in through the back door as well as the front.

Your number one priority may be to give the best customer service/advice you can possibly give. Your bosses' priorty may very well amount to how "pretty and faced off" the shelves look.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Well, I've seen the cashiers working occasionally, and I've seen guys driving fork lifts around, and I can remember a few times that I've even gotten some of the floor walkers to notice that I'd like some help, so I suppose you could say at least someone there works some of the time although I'm not sure the number that work is the same number that draw a paycheck.
    LOL! Someone supposedly once asked my company's founder "how many people work there?" His answer - "About half of them". LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i put in my application to both places today. i was curious how it is to work at either place and what the pay is like.

i figure its gonna be a paycut from where im at now but anythings gotta be better then what im doing now (data entry, sitting at a desk staring at a computer all day) ive done it for 10 years and want to do something different.

i go to HD and lowes 2-3 times a week i figure i might as well get a job there
    Try this question on the ridgid forum. There are some workers there.

Blog Entries

Don't quit your day job

Before you quit your regular job, try working at HD or Lowes part time. Dealing with consumers can be an eye opening experience on human behavior. I worked retail building supplies a number of years ago. Being on your feet for 8 hours on concrete gets pretty tiring.

I found there were basically three types of customers. The most common were the ones that were clueless that would ask a million questions and only understand half of what you were telling them. Then there were the know it alls that already had their mind made up when they walked in the store and it didn't matter what you told them they weren't going to believe it because they were determined to do it their way. Finally, and by far in the minority, there were the folks that knew what they wanted and how to get it done and just needed your help pulling their order or locating what they needed in the store.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

well my day job is killing me (literally) i HAVE to do something different. i figure if i can get into the tool department or something interesting it would be pretty nice. i can deal with stupid customers. as far as standing all day that doesnt sound bad as ive been sitting in front of a computer everyday for 10 years, change is good right?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    Try this question on the ridgid forum. There are some workers there.
    thanks i will, im registered over there actually

A friend of mine worked at Lowes (garden section supervisor) a few years back. His main gripe was that Lowes hires "green" store managers, young kids fresh out of school with an MBA, and have to sink or swim. Most had no 'real world' retail experience, and the staff always had to 'educate' the new manager. The better store managers usually took better jobs after a year or two, and the bad ones 'left' after a year of headaches.

So it might be worth your while to size up the local store manager before you put on the Borg vest.
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?