Thread: Selling turned pens and/or pencils

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Selling turned pens and/or pencils

I apologize if this is too mercenary for my fellow Creek waders. If it is, just let me know and I'll go to private messages.

I am still a newbie at woodturning and made my first pen barrels earlier this week. I enjoyed the entire process and am wondering what mix of pens and/or pencils I should buy to get started. My company is sponsoring an Arts & Crafts sale next month (only employees are allowed to be vendors). I'm planning to make 20-30 kits for this event which will be my first craft sale.

For those of you who make and sell turned pens and pencils, do you find that people want pens, pencils, or sets? When you make sets, do you try to match the grain or just settle for same species?

I would guess that most people who buy sets want a matched pair (same species, same fittings). Obviously, the rollerball and fountain pens come in singles. I would also guess that for other singles, most people would prefer pens to pencils. Should I make a few extra pens in my initial style(s) or keep it to matched sets (pen & pencil)?

While I am it, which styles work best for you? I've seen several of Ken Salisbury's posts, and I get the impression that Ken makes mostly pens in a variety of styles (Flat Top & Cigar to name two). The styles with "straight" cuts would be easier to start with, right?

Should I stick with pens and/or pencils? I'd like to offer at least a couple of rollerball or fountain pens. Should I offer a variety of items, including letter openers, key rings, etc. ?

From what I can gather, folks like a variety of wood species ranging from light to dark shades. I'll probably start with 3-4 species and build out from there once I get going. Which species would you recommend for a beginning turner?

OK, enough questions for now. :-)

Cheers,
    Bob Janka
    newbie at pen-turning
    Last edited by Bob Janka; 03-08-2003 at 3:32 PM.
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker