Thread: The space between

The space between

This is my first carving project. its a plaque for a friends first born son. its on white oak and will have a walnut border later on.

how do you get the space between all those letters clean and neat?

Ive been thinking about this. I could dye the relieved portions darker. I could painstakingly scrape them as smooth as possible.

anything else i could do?

Thanks,

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Building my own Legos!

Blog Entries
    Small files (riffler), small scrapers, or even a skew chisel all help. Really boring work isn't it.

yup

its boring alright. but at the same time, it puts me in a meditative state like few other things do. i just kinda zonk out while working and the only thing going through my mind is carving. nothing else.

thanks for the advice on the files. i have a basic set of small scrapers. and i made myself a micro skew last night. i'll put it to work.

Thanks,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

One of the hardest things to learn with carving (as with most creative efforts) is learning/knowing when to stop in the creation. In engineering we call it creeping elegance. Simpler is always better, but there are some instances where a little more adds dramatically to a design in a positive way, or detracts dramatically. It's a subjective thing. You might try what you are considering on a scrap piece and see if that's the direction you really want to go in.