Thread: Small gloat - plus question on mounting Jet JBOS-5 sander

Small gloat - plus question on mounting Jet JBOS-5 sander

Well this is sort of a pre-gloat - I am finally the owner of a new JET benchtop JBOS-5 osciallating spindle sander. But I can't post any pics cause I won't have it in my hands for about a month . I live on the Canadian side of the Maine/Canada border and I got a buddy of mine that lives in New Hampshire to scoot into the Portsmouth Woodcraft and get one for me during the 10% off sale yesterday - I should be able to score the 25 dollar rebate on this as well so it ended up cosing me 289.10 if my math is correct. I'll happily avoid the taxes and customs on this side when I go down in a month as I am staying long enough to bring back a mess of stuff tax/duty free.

In the meantime, I am trying to plan how to best mount this thing in my shop. I'd appreciate seeing what ingenious tricks others have done to mount / store these things.

Here's my thoughts at the moment -

- The table ends up being a little on the high side if I just plop it on a workbench and I really don't want to hike it off and on a bench all the time as it's a bit heavy
    - If I mount it into a bench, then I cannot use the tilting function in the rare instances I will require it.

I did think about maybe coming up with a way to build a combo sanding table and OSS table where the sander is mounted flush to the top like a router table, but the rest of the table top has holes in it. Then I could hook up the DC to the back of the cabinet and it would serve both purposes. To get around the tilting table problem of the OSS I could either hinge the top of the cabinet or make it easily removable somehow. I'd have to come up with some sort of internal shelf with levelling bolts to get the oss sander level with the surface of the table but that should not be a big issue.

Anyone have addtional thoughts or comments?

Thanks,

Lewis

On the same level

Put the OSS on the same level would be Ok. Leave room so the table can tip away from your table. That way you can sand on an angle.

Here you go.

Mounted on a 100# set of drawer glides on top of a box with a false bottom with a wheelbarrow inner tube underneath inflated it is 32" high I like to sit on a stool to operate it. Un-inflated it is low enough to slide back into the cabinet out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Mounted on a 100# set of drawer glides on top of a box with a false bottom with a wheelbarrow inner tube underneath inflated it is 32" high I like to sit on a stool to operate it. Un-inflated it is low enough to slide back into the cabinet out of the way.

- Now that's what I call ingenious. What kind of a lift distance do you get with the inner tube? 2-3 inches?