Thread: Carved Flower

Carved Flower

I teach carving at the local Woodcraft store, and generally teach how to carve a simple flower as a beginning course. I keep trying to find/design a more advanced flower that I can show the new carvers as an example of what they can do by stretching the capabilities they learn in the beginning class - so I don't want it to be too complex, just a bit more complex.

So here's my most recent example. I took some yellow wood that I found at the wood store and glued to to some maple and turned the whole thing round. Then thinned the yellow wood and turned it round. Drilled a hole in the center an put a piece of ebony in it. Then carved the petals of the flower. It's a box and the top comes off.

I'm going to try a few other flowers in the next few days.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-12-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

that's nice

its simple and classic. i like the ebony piece. now if you carve the ebony to look like the center of a flower. (with all those little grids and bumps) i think that'll dull up your tools real quick though.

very nice.

dan
    Building my own Legos!

Very nice work! The yellow wood looks perhaps like Satinwood (or Yellowheart)?

Here's a couple more "flowers" based on the simple basic flower. The really hard part is coming up with ideas.

The wood on that first one I posted is yellowheart.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, I looked up your next carving class. Still interested but no-can-do this time. I'd be in some deep trouble if I took off for Mother's Day.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Mike, I looked up your next carving class. Still interested but no-can-do this time. I'd be in some deep trouble if I took off for Mother's Day.
    Yeah, I hadn't checked that when we scheduled it. I may have to re-schedule just because people won't sign up. Mother's Day is pretty big competition.

Thanks for your interest.

Mike

I rescheduled the next class to Saturday, June 7th. Doing it on Mother's Day was not a good idea. If you're interested and in the area, I hope you'll stop by -> Stanton Woodcraft Store.

Mike

Wow Mike! Those are all some fine additions to your carving/turning hobbies.The quilter who provided the background is pretty good too!..Bill..

This is a VERY simple flower but I thought the overall box looked good.

I gave a talk to the Orange County Turners group this past Thursday on "Carving for Turning" and got inspired to do this box. I'm going to attend their next meeting (in a month) so maybe I'll bring this one to show them.

Turners actually have a lot of advantages for carving - they can rough out the design prior to the final carving, they can turn their own mallets, and they can make a sharpening device that is turned by their lathe to sharpen their carving tools.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Is this something you could take pictures from the start to show us who do not have any idea how to start?

I would enjoy learning to carve, but so far have not figured out the technique or something. Maybe I just need to do a lot more trial and error.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Is this something you could take pictures from the start to show us who do not have any idea how to start?

I would enjoy learning to carve, but so far have not figured out the technique or something. Maybe I just need to do a lot more trial and error.

jim
    Sure - I assume you want to know how to carve a turning, as I show here, rather than starting with a flat piece of wood. I'll try to take some pictures over the next day or so and post them here.

I won't do a fluted box - just a simple box - and a simple flower.

Mike

That's some fancy clever carving,. Mike - I just wish I could do the same it makes my own straight line carving on my own turnings look pathetic.

David
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Sure - I assume you want to know how to carve a turning, as I show here, rather than starting with a flat piece of wood. I'll try to take some pictures over the next day or so and post them here.

I won't do a fluted box - just a simple box - and a simple flower.

Mike
    I do not have a lathe yet, but most likely it can be translated from a turning to a flat piece.

If nothing else, some of the techniques will be the same.

Other than trying to shape wood, I have no experience at carving.

Thanks,

jim