Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Bandsaw Box Making 101

Simple Bandsaw Box Making 101

I posted a thread last night with some pictures of bandsawn boxes that I made.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81661

Several of you have asked to see details of how these were made, so here goes. First start off with a large chunk of wood. If you like, you can laminate several pieces for contrast, or cut swooping kerfs and glue in contrasting veneers. When you have your blank ready and squared, cut the sides off like I show in the next few photos. I like to cut about 3/4"

Mark your sides for later so you dont mix them up, and lay them off to the side. Then draw the inside cut lines on the end of your blank like this, remember you can cut any inside shape you like.

Cut the lid first and when you get to a sharp curve, nibble the waste so you can make a 90 degree turn.

Then cut the core out and when you are done, this is what you have left.

Now mark the lid for a hole to be drilled for the brass pin you are going to cut. I use a 1/4" brass pin and drill the hole 1/64" oversize. I usually mark 3/8" in from the back edge and 3/8" down from the top.

Drill your hole and then use a 1/4" dowel center to transfer your hole position to each matching side. Press the dowel center into each side and drill the hole into the piece that matches. Left side of the lid into left side piece, right side of lid into right side piece.

Now measure the depth of the hole in the lid and the hole in each matching side piece and add them together and cut your brass pin just a little undersize in length. Measure each side piece because they may not be the same depth, when you ripped them at the bandsaw, they might not be the same thickness. Now this next step is IMPORTANT. Round off the back edge of the lid on the belt sander. If you dont do this, when the box is assembled, you wont be able to open the lid.

I like to round off the matching edge on the box body as well. Then I take the lid, and with a miter gauge to keep it square to the belt, lightly touch it to the belt. This reduces the width of the lid, ever so slightly, so it isnt tight between the box sides when the box is assembled.

Get everything ready for glue-up, insert your brass pins into the holes, and glue 'er up.

After the glue is dry, simple shaping on the belt sander, maybe a little fitting of the lid(if tight) and finishing.
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 04-10-2008 at 9:18 PM.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

wow you made that look so easy.

thanks

Very nice, thanks for posting that, very informative!
    John

Wow I can't wait to (try to) make one of those, thanks!

THANK YOU!

I recently got a craftsman pro 14" bandsaw and was wondering how to make bandsaw boxes. Invaluable info, greatly appreciated!

Great photo shoot Lance and the turtorial is very much appreciated. I see you are using the Carter Stabilizer. I just got mine mounted the other night. Looks like it works well for the intended purpose.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pezzo View Post
    THANK YOU!

I recently got a craftsman pro 14" bandsaw and was wondering how to make bandsaw boxes. Invaluable info, greatly appreciated!
    Andrew...These are very simple boxes. They are starters. After you make some of these, use your imagination and branch out to other designs. The bandsaw allows so many variations, its simply amazing what you can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles View Post
    Great photo shoot Lance and the turtorial is very much appreciated. I see you are using the Carter Stabilizer. I just got mine mounted the other night. Looks like it works well for the intended purpose.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
    Bob... the Bandsaw Stabilizer works very well indeed. I wouldnt want to try using a small blade without one.

Lance thank you for the picture tutorial. Very informative! Now I have more of a reason to go to the shop
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Lance

One more thank you for the great post...

Hello Sir,
    I was one of the chorus asking for a tutorial. Thank you very much for sharing this technique. Have a good night, Sir. Godspeed.

Lance, thank you very much for posting your tutorial it was a learning experience. Another good reason to contribute to the Creek. I have just one other question. What size saw blade did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Phillips View Post
    Lance, thank you very much for posting your tutorial it was a learning experience. Another good reason to contribute to the Creek. I have just one other question. What size saw blade did you use?
    Ray... to cut the sides off, I use a 3/4" 3tooth blade. To cut out the core, I use an 1/8" 14tooth.

Lance, very nice of you to share your box making procedure.
    Lori K

I need a bandsaw!