"I’ve built two fences and each one ended up needing shimming to get things square and planar. Soon after looking it over I realized the phenolic fences were not flush with the aluminum T-track.

The problem was they set back farther from the T-track which would prevent a board on edge from being perpendicular to the table."

I just bought a Jessem router fence through Lee Valley (I got a gift card so ordered through them in stead of direct) and I have the same issue. It seems even five years later they have not figured this one out. I called Lee Valley and they immediately offered to ship me a new fence. I was impressed with the customer service and took them up on the offer but I fear that even the replacement will suffer the same problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem recently? I am trying to assess if it is a design issue or a random quality control issue with the sub fence thicknss and/or the aluminum extrusion it attaches to. Have people fixed this with shim plates or shim washers (source?) Was the fix satisfactory? I worry that as I move the sub fences back and forth the shims will shift out of place.

Thanks for the help.
Chris