Thread: 'Rustic' knotty alder coffee table...

'Rustic' knotty alder coffee table...

Hey guys!

I can't remember if I posted these pics anywhere on SMC yet. I searched and didn't see them so here it is. This is an unfinished knotty alder 'rustic' coffee table I built for a client. I'll include the pic that my client gave as inspiration. He said he wanted a shelf below. Thanx to SketchUp that was an easy addition.

I included an 1/8" extra material to act as a foot so that the bottom stretcher/apron's were not in danger of teetering over a possible lumpy floor.

My client will stain this himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Looks nice. I like it. I think your client will mess it up staining it himself with the end grain being my first concern.

That's one aspect I prefer in the inspiration piece is that the top is made with miters so there is no end grain.

Great looking wood and nice construction in your piece.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking table.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    Looks nice. I like it. I think your client will mess it up staining it himself with the end grain being my first concern. That's one aspect I prefer in the inspiration piece is that the top is made with miters so there is no end grain. Great looking wood and nice construction in your piece.
    Thanx for the kind words! Had the budget allowed, I would've preferred to do something like that as well.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Indeed, it is a fantastic looking table.

Awesome.
    Has your client stained wood before? I agree with John's comment. Once finished, that end grain is going to pop out dark vs the side grain. Not that it's unappealing; just different from the model.

You might have a happier client long term if YOU color it with your Earlex and dyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Awesome. Has your client stained wood before? I agree with John's comment. Once finished, that end grain is going to pop out dark vs the side grain. Not that it's unappealing; just different from the model. You might have a happier client long term if YOU color it with your Earlex and dyes.
    I fully expect him to contact me to finish it. I built a large table and bench for him (detailed in another thread). Initially he was going to stain it. Then he opted to have me do it. I've pretty much built all the furniture in his house with more to come!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------