Thread: Remote computer shut off

Question Remote computer shut off

Is there any way to turn off a computer from a remote location? I usually turn the PC (WinXP) on in the morning and leave it on all day. No problem for most of the year, but during the summer, we get a fair number of power outages and down goes the computer. It would be nice if I could somehow log on remotely and turn it off. Doable? Without sacrificing the kids' college fund? Thanks,
    Tony

Tony, XP has a feature on it called "Remote Desktop". You can log on to the remote machine from another location, pretty much from anywhere in the World. It's been a while since I've played with it, but I do think, that if you have it setup that way, you can do *anything* on the remote machine. Of course, the remote machine needs to be accessible from the Internet. If the remote machine is on dial-up, it could be painfully slow, but still do-able. Do some research on "Remote Desktop" and I think you'll find the answers I can't give you off the top of my head. The beauty part of it, if you can indeed physically power the destop "off", it won't cost you a penny!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    XP has a feature on it called "Remote Desktop". You can log on to the remote machine from another location, pretty much from anywhere in the World.
    A very scary thing, indeed...especially since you'll need to leave a hole open in your firewall, etc. A better solution might be a small UPS with software that will automatically shut down the computer if mains power is gone more than a certain amount of time...just like servers are handled in data centers. It deals with the problem without any intervention and there is less security risk. Even brown-outs and brief outages are dealt with, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    A very scary thing, indeed...especially since you'll need to leave a hole open in your firewall, etc. A better solution might be a small UPS with software that will automatically shut down the computer if mains power is gone more than a certain amount of time...just like servers are handled in data centers. It deals with the problem without any intervention and there is less security risk. Even brown-outs and brief outages are dealt with, too!
    No arguments on the security issue, Jim. It was just a low-cost/no-cost suggestion. I too use a UPS with software which allows for a soft shutdown. On the flip side, if you've got an "always on" connection and don't have a hardware firewall, you're already at risk, 'cuz as you well know, if they *really* want "in", they'll do it!

At any rate, there are a number of UPS units which are now quite reasonbly priced, so Junior's college fund should stay intact!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Thanks, guys!

Any specific recommendations on UPS units? (I always thought it was APS-maybe you guys have been getting too many visits from the brown truck lately?) I think I'll give one of those a try. Boy, this is a useful place. Cheers!

BTW-I use both hardware and software firewalls, and I have zero inclination to compromise those.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade
    (I always thought it was APS-maybe you guys have been getting too many visits from the brown truck lately?)
    BTW-I use both hardware and software firewalls, and I have zero inclination to compromise those.
    LOL! Well, I think most of Jim's most recent acquisitions are just a tad too big for UPS to handle! UPS, as in: Uninterpted Power Supply. And yes, APC is a good brand. There are several out there, actually, though whatever I picked, I'd make sure it has a user-replaceable battery(s) and is enough to cover your main box. I've used an APC 500 for quite some time, though I have an old, heavy-duty Best, as well. My buddy bought a "Minuteman" and he's not complained about that one, either, and I think it's at a good price-point. I think one of the best advantages of using one is that most of them also offer some of the best surge protection, in addition to the black/brown outs. One thing to keep in mind when searching is, if you have a CRT type monitor, you may consider turning it "off" before leaving, as that will drain the UPS faster than the main PC will.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas