Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best box-joint jig or design???

Blog Entries

Best box-joint jig or design???

I want a box joint jig. It does not have to be adjustable.

Either an inexpensive one that I can use with my current dado set, or a design I can build myself.

If it is one I can build myself, please forward a link to the instructions.

Thank you all!!!

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Found these on the net:

My jig is just a tubafore with a 1/8 inch wide stick poking out the side.

I manually clamp the tubafore to my crosscut sled, and away I go.

I'm sure others will have more sofisticated setups.

Here are some close ups of my box joint jig.

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

"Found on the net" - that's my pic from my website - http://home.san.rr.com/jeffnann/Wood...Shop/Shop.html which has a lot more pictures and explanation, and where proper credit is given for the design. This fixture is for a tablesaw, but could be easily adapted for a router table. It works quite well and is very repeatable.

That's a nice website you have there Jeff. The Box Joint pictorial is excellent.

Well done.

A few months ago I purchased an Incra positioner for my router table. Works nicely, but still requires a fair bit of setup to use it. I've barely touched it.

I made my own version of the Oak Park units. I have a Rockler router lift. It has two screw holes for attaching a pivot on either side of the bit. I was able to use those for mounting my version. One hole in my spacer fence gets a 1/4" flat-head screw (acting as a pivot). The other side is slotted and I use a knob so I can fine-tune the spacing.

This really couldn't be easier. To setup, place a brass setup bar between the bit and the fence. Raise the bit slighly higher than the thickness of the wood, and then go to it.

This is an older pick that doesn't show my push block, which is just two pieces of 2x4 material jointed into an "L" with a notch in the bottom that rides on the jigs runner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg, think about building a Lynn's Jig. It is the only design I've seen in which any error is not cumulative. There's no key to get exactly right, and there's no spacing between the key and the cutout to worry about either.

The spacings are adjusted by turning the 3/8-16 threaded rod. I believe 1 turn = 1/16" so you're not limited by the width of the key either.

Also, it is the best use I've ever seen for a golf ball:

Building it will be a bit more involved, but you don't have to worry about precision as much, and you'll never have to build another one if you want a different width.
    Last edited by J. Z. Guest; 04-05-2008 at 8:27 AM.

This is what I use; from Shopnotes IIRC. But you may want to look at Woodcraft's or Rockler's DT jig with a box joint template.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    That's a nice website you have there Jeff. The Box Joint pictorial is excellent.

Well done.
    A nice website indeed! Gonna bookmark that one.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Greg,
    Post back as to what you decided to build. I found the "Lynn's" jig the most accurate so far.
    Larry

Although I have never seen Lynn's jig before, until now, I can vouch to how well it works. The design is very similar to one I made about 20 years ago. The jig has seen a lot of use over the years and still works great. They are very accurate used on a table saw or a router table.

Good luck,

Blog Entries
    Jeremy, as an avid golfer, I must object! But not too much.

I think I would like to build the Lynn's jig.

Question; if I use -16 threaded rod, then I have to turn 4 times to get a 1/4" movement, correct? Then my dado must be exactly 1/4" wide for the joints to fit.

If I make 6 turns, then my dado should be 3/8, correct?

Just how tight do these joints end up?

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

A flat square piece of wood preferable several inches high and long enough so you can clamp it to a fence.

Insert in it (VIA a slot) a piece of wood the exact size od the slot you will be cutting.

That's it.

Any more than that is all bells and whistles that you really do not need. Every time I do box joints I collect a million plans for super duper dEElux box joint jigs thinking that I absolutely have to build one this time and I end up doing what I just described - every single time.

The reason is simple. You just don't need anything more.

Oh I hate doing 'em on the router. Something about all that lateral stress and racket and the deflection of the cutter and the router mount. I like the Dado.

Question: Is the Lynn's jig the same as using an Incra fence? IIRC, the Lynns jig has the dial gage attached to it, so you can monitor the distance you move the work piece after each cut. How does this differ from the Incra fence...both are close to .001" accuracy?

I am asking, because i am not that familiar with the details of the Lynns jig.... but from the pix's I have seen, I think I get the drift....

Why didn't I think of that

Great idea Phil!

I don't have much to add, but I bought the Oak Park jigs because they looked so easy to use and were on sale. I didn't want to drill into my table though, so they have continued to sit unused in the packaging.

Phil's idea of using the holes for the pins has now officially saved me (and made me wonder why I had not seen the suggestion before.