Thread: Barrister Bookcase Plans??

Barrister Bookcase Plans??

I would like to get started on a set of barristers as a gift for my son. I don't have a tight deadline, I'm a bit of a newbie, and I intend to take my time and do these well. I was hoping some of you experienced hands might have done some of these already and might share pictures, plans (just recommendations on plans and where to find them, not the plans themselves), and perhaps problem spots you encountered and how you solved those problems.
    I'll take this opportunity to thank you all in advance. I cannot impress on you all enough how much I have learned already from lurking on this site and taking advantage of your generosity and combined accumulated wisdom and experience!
    Mark Vernon

i know Norm did one years ago. so he should have some on the NYW site. Good luck.

Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Can't seem to recall which WW'ing mag had some on the cover this winter... maybe Wood, maybe not. Sorry for not having it on the tip of my tongue, but maybe someone will chime in with the mag name and issue #.
    FWIW, they were featured on the cover.

Greg

Plans

Mark,
    Here is a couple of ways for you to go, Rockler has their Barrister Bookcase plans on sale for free if you buy the hardware kit starting this saturday but at $9 bucks it seems kind of pricet to me.

I built the one from Wood that is all wood(no hardware except knobs) and I love the way it turned out but it is a little more difficult I think with alot of frame and panel stuff so you need to be comfortable with stub tenons.

Look it up at this address..www.woodonline.com...search Barristers Bookcase

Good luck

oops

I meant to say $49 bucks for the hardware kit at Rockler

Here is a plan from PlansNow. It was in Woodsmith #134 if you can get that back issue.

http://plansnow.com/bstbookcase.html

This is a side by side bookcase with barrister doors. I made dados in the vertical pieces and created the swing doors without hardware. It is all wood. The glass is not etched, but has an etched vinyl decal on the backside of the glass. You can not tell the difference. Let me know if you want more information.

Bookcase.jpg

Bookcases from the Taunton press had a good on. I checked it out at the library.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

Woodsmith No. 29 has plans and very detailed instructions for building a nice-looking barristers bookcase.
    Lee valley also has plans.

My thanks to all for your help. I'll be researching all these plans over the next few days. Tommy, thanks for the picture...yes I'd like more info. Let me know if you need an e-mail.
    I haven't posted any pictures yet, but I'll take some of this project.
    Mark

Hey Mark- I have some good info for you - just need an email address.

Norm and Woodsmith

I considered making some a few years ago. I debated between NYW and Woodsmith. I decided on Woodsmith because they are unitized. That is, one unit sits on another. I think they also showed how to vary the height for different size books. I had that issue but gave it away when I closed my shop recently. However, I think I can retrieve it. I like Woodsmith - ideal for newbies - they explain every move very well. Their cutting lists save a lot of waste. let me know if I should see if I can get the issue back.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Popular Woodworking #161, April 2007 features one on the front cover. Very simple design with solid sides and the plan shows it assembled using pocket holes. No special hardware required - it uses brass pins as guides for the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Stockley View Post
    Popular Woodworking #161, April 2007 features one on the front cover. Very simple design with solid sides and the plan shows it assembled using pocket holes. No special hardware required - it uses brass pins as guides for the doors.
    this is it... with drawings
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea2.html

have fun
    Ted
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

I recently built an office suite with two barristers in the bookcase and a barrister door for a printer garage, all based on the design in issue 149 (June/July 2003) of Wood magazine. It took a few mock-ups to get the pins and slides in the right place to get the doors where I wanted, but they worked out great.
    Attached Images Attached Images