Thread: Is there a dam in the Creek? (Resolved)

Is there a dam in the Creek? (Resolved)

SMC is running very slowly for me. It may run normally for a few clicks and then the next click may take 2 minutes or more to load. I am running XP and the latest upgrade of Firefox. I feel I must be a loner on this problem or others would have brought it up by now. Other sites seem to operate normally. Any suggestions?
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I haven't had any slowdowns here.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy View Post
    SMC is running very slowly for me. It may run normally for a few clicks and then the next click may take 2 minutes or more to load. I am running XP and the latest upgrade of Firefox. I feel I must be a loner on this problem or others would have brought it up by now. Other sites seem to operate normally. Any suggestions?
    I have the same exact problem. I posted this last week and everyone said things were fine. I defragged, cleared cookies, temporary internet files, tried running with add ons disabled, shut off my phishing filter, nothing helps. I guess its nice to see Im not the only one. Whats going on?
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Everything is working well here in Idaho.....

and I'm on cable so it's relatively fast!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It may be Firefox - I've heard that sometimes it decides to take a rest.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I'm thinking some issue with Firefox. I tried AOL (I know, I know) and everything seems fine. I also have cable so I'm used to speed.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Don't tell anyone...I"m running IE version 6 IIRC...
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I dont think its Firefox. Im not running it and the Creek is horribly SLOW for me and has been for several weeks. Ive recently been linking images through Photobucket instead of uploading them here. Could this be causing it? Im on a cable system and everything else is lightning fast. When I get here, its like dial-up. Ugh
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Ron,

Well its not our server load, this morning with 194 people online our server load is less than 0.8% of capacity. With over 600 people we rarely see loads in excess of 6%. Uploading your pictures isn't a problem and won't be for a very long time.

Three issues come to mind, the first being a slowdown or excessive trafic somewhere between you and The Creek. The second issue may be the advertisements that are not hosted on our server but this is a rare event that I have only noticed a couple of times. The third is traffic in your local area if you are using a cable modem, everyone in your neighborhood shares the bandwidth on your leg of the cable network and you may have some heavy users on your node.

I visit The Creek every day at lunch from Christopher Newport University. When classes are in session and students are downloading movies and music files the network slows to a crawl. During the summer, Christmas and Spring breaks the speed is lightning fast with huge pipes and no users online at the University except for the staff.

Hello,
    I'm running IE 7, Opera and Firefox on XP Media- as well as IE 6 and IE7 in virtual machines - Windows 2003 server and Windows XP Pro.
    SMC has been extremely slow to the point of timing out on everything.

I also can terminal server into several machines in different locations here in NE Ohio - all with different upstream providers - and launch IE6 or IE7 from them.

The problem is definatly with the upstream providers, not the local machine and/or browser used. It's also dependant on the time of access.
    SMC loads ok - not great - but ok - on my home systems between 2:00am and 6:00am. The evening hours are by far the worst.

Last evening at ~ 7:00pm, I couldn't get SMC to load on my home system.
    I termserved into a system ~ 15 miles away, which has a T-1 connection, and SMC loaded fine.

A tracert shows a slowdown for me at the point Roadrunner makes the jump in Columbus, and again, when Roadrunner jumps to Cox.

Ping times, regardless of time of day, are consistant at the mid 50'ish ms.

To me it looks like one or more core routers is all boogered up and not passing higher protocols (HTTP - the "stuff" of the WWW).

Since I have remote access to a couple of systems on the Roadrunner fabric, I'll jump into one or two and see how SMC loads and run a tracert to see if the slowdown is the same.

For the time being, I believe you can rule out SMC and/or the ads as being the problem.

HTH.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Don't tell anyone...I"m running IE version 6 IIRC...
    Same here.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have also been having trouble I'm using roadrunner its been running slow for about 3 weeks . Randy

Roadrunner and Firefox here. Fast enough and no complaints.
    Only the Blue Roads