Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Poll For Another Forum To Be Added To This Site.

To Stan and William.....

I have done quite a bit Intarsia of Judy Gale Roberts and would be interested if either of you know where there are other patterns of the same quality (or better).

As to your question William, my opinion ( for all it's worth) would be to let it mix in the general forum. A lot of times, I for one, "stumble" on knowledge here in the general forum that i wouldn't have seen if it were elsewhere. Just my humble opinion

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Hebert Sr
    To Stan and William.....

I have done quite a bit Intarsia of Judy Gale Roberts and would be interested if either of you know where there are other patterns of the same quality (or better).
    Ralph, Roberts' patterns are the best, but I also like Garnet Hall and Wildlife Intarsia Designs. I have seen a couple of Hall's patterns in a mag and subsequently bought a couple of his books (search amazon.com by author). Wildlife Intarsia Designs are done by Havlicheck? Not sure but you might be able to find that business via Yahoo or Google search. I made a pattern of my own for the first time a month or so ago. There's a pic of it posted on here somewhere--a Lighthouse.

Stan
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-28-2004 at 1:02 AM. Reason: fixed quote code
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Thank You Stan for your reply. I will check out those sources.

Wow!!!.....you did your own pattern??? Wouldn't even think of that for myself. Can't draw a straight line wid out da ruler !!!

Thanks again;
    Ralph

Just went to see your lighthouse..........Nice Job !!!!

Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph Hebert Sr; 03-27-2004 at 6:31 PM. Reason: added lighthouse comment

Making a new forum

Quote Originally Posted by William Young SE BC
    Thanks to all the responses to my Poll. I understand what you are saying and have no objections . It was just a passing fancy suggestion. I also belong to another genral WW site which includes all methods of WW'ing including , furniture , bandsaw boxes and scrolling, tools and just about everything in between. So I am just as happy with the way it is and I will check back often. I like the fact that the site is not cluttered up with commerials and pop up ads like some of the others are.

This looks like a great general WW site
    W.Y.
    SawmillCreek prides itself on providing a free service to the general woodworking community, free from pop-ups and commercial advertisements. Our sponsor (Hampton Roads Online) has graciously agreed to continue to host SMC as a community service. We're glad you noticed!

That being said, I usually expect a thread of this nature to arise every three months or so--that is, whether to add new, specific forums. Our existing choice of forums originally sought to make the transition from Badger Pond a bit more simple, and though we have the freedom to deviate from it, it seems to be a good format. You will see a roughly 75% to 25% split in those who prefer the general format.

However, my aim for SawmillCreek is to add value to it as a woodworking archive, and having no real categorization makes it difficult to search through when looking for something specific. (There is, however, a search feature which allows for this).

That said, I have come up with some new measures for users to be able to (optionally) assign a category when they start a new thread. Those who use the View New Posts feature will still come up with the entire forum as usual. Those who would like to view SawmillCreek in a categorical manner will be able to do so (via subforums), while there will be no change for users who prefer the current general format--they will browse and search as usual.. a win-win situation!! In other words, categorized posts will seemingly 'exist' in both the general forum and the sub-forum.

I will program in this feature shortly after our next software upgrade (within the next two weeks).

I hope this will be a happy solution for those on both sides of the fence!

Any suggestions?

_Aaron_

Thanks Aaron for the explanation.
    Sounds great.
    W.Y.
    We get Too Soon Old And Too Late Smart

Aaron, you never fail to amaze me! What an absolutely elegant solution for all concerned! As I've said before, Keith really knew what he was doing when he laid this task in your very capable hands! Kudos, my friend!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Yo Aaron. We sure appreciate all your hardwork for us. THANKS!

Over the years, I've seen a real problem in trying to read, locate, and review posts by a particular topic. This applies to searches as well. True for all forums, also. When someone makes a post such as, "I really need help with this" as the topic line. I don't even read it. If someone says "TS blade Alignment Help Needed" people can respond as needed. The problem is with the users being descriptive enough in their posts. Yet, the titles can't be too wordy either. We all need to be a little more reflective with our titles, IMHO.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith