Thread: Best software to design my shop layout in?

Best software to design my shop layout in?

I've used the shop layout tool online at Delta, and the same thing, diff version, at Grizzly. The Delta one is better because it has more stuff to plop in there like wood storage etc... BOTH of these things you have to save your files online via a password login with them. I keep forgetting my passwords. And now, after doing a bunch of work in the Delta version and writing down my password... the new DeltaPorterCable site has all broken links to their shop designer!
    http://www.deltaportercable.com/shopdesigner just gives me "page cannot be found", any variations such as .aspx also don't work. All that work gone, my "Your Inventory of Tools Here Safe and Sound!" is also gone. I don't trust online, and won't do it again.

What I'd really like is something downloadable here on my hard-drive, which gives the same pre-loaded machines and icons capability, and optimally something I'd be able to post a file of here and say, "here's my layout, does anyone have any better ideas?", and someone might load it up and tweak machines around, and repost. Of course the issue of viruses etc. might be a factor, but I'm hoping some program exists that stores it's output in an xml or other similar safe format.

Any ideas?
    posting here vs. workshops because I'm looking for a tool (software)...
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 04-02-2008 at 12:38 AM.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Sketch up.

Not a huge learning curve if you are computer literate and most machines will be out there on the net if you do some looking.

I haven't used it for shop design because I found no matter how much I try I end up changing every year or so anyway. Can you tell I just came in from shop projects day? Currently mitersaw fence, new outfeed table and assorted other little stuff.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"