Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Freud SD206?

Questions About Freud SD206?

I've been searching for a Stack Dado Set for my new TS3660 and have narrowed my choices down to the Freud SD506 and SD206.

I'd like metal rather than plastic shims. I'd like a plastic rather than a cardboard storage case. But more importantly, I want flat cuts and little to no visible scoring marks made by the outer blades (bat ears?).

I see the SD206 has a plastic case and metal shims, so that's good.

I've found some reviews and pictures of test cuts made by the SD506. The tenon was flat and smooth with no scoring marks. I was wondering if the SD206, being less costly, would make noticeably less flat or noticeably less smooth cuts... possibly with visible scoring marks.

So does anybody have and use the SD206? Are the cuts flat? Do you get bat ears (is that really what they're called? )? Are wide tenons smooth after making multiple passes?

Thanks!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Freud dado set

Paul,

I have the Ridgid 3650 TS and the Freud SD208 (8in as apposed to the 6in SD206) dado stack and I am very happy with it. It makes very nice tenons and very flat, very smooth dadoes.

It is good to have a set of Venier (sp?) calipers to measure the stock with, or do like I do....lots of test cuts!!!

I have made tenons up to 1 1/2" long with no problems at all.
    Last edited by Troy Donson; 03-31-2008 at 4:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Donson View Post
    Paul,

I have the Ridgid 3650 TS and the Freud SD208 (8in as apposed to the 6in SD206) dado stack and I am very happy with it. It makes very nice tenons and very flat, very smooth dadoes.

It is good to have a set of Venier (sp?) calipers to measure the stock with, or do like I do....lots of test cuts!!!

I have made tenons up to 1 1/2" long with no problems at all.
    Troy,

Thanks for the info!

Did you consider the 6" before purchasing? If so, what led you to the 8"? Do you need the extra depth?

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    Troy,

Did you consider the 6" before purchasing? If so, what led you to the 8"? Do you need the extra depth?
    (get the 208)

I did consider the SD206, but went with the 208 becaue I figured I would rather have the capacity if I needed it rather than have to buy again later and for my personal comfort level.

(get the 208)

The fact that I have used it to make lap joints in some 4X4 posts proved it was worth it to me. I could have notched it with the 40T blade I was using and then cleaned the chips out... But with the dado it was about 7-8 swipes and a nice smooth pocket for a 2X4. I am sure I could have done the same with the 6" but I wanted to be "absolutely sure" it would cut deep enough when mounted in my old Delta Radial Arm Saw. To me the $10-11 extra was worth it.

(get the 208)

In all honesty I just felt better about the 8" set. I would rather be comfortable than worried about how high my blades will reach when out in the shop. Then again you may never require more than the 206 will give you.

(just get the 208)

Troy

(GET THE 208!!!!!!!!!)

(get the 208)

I did consider the SD206, but went with the 208 becaue I figured I would rather have the capacity if I needed it rather than have to buy again later and for my personal comfort level.

(get the 208)

The fact that I have used it to make lap joints in some 4X4 posts proved it was worth it to me. I could have notched it with the 40T blade I was using and then cleaned the chips out... But with the dado it was about 7-8 swipes and a nice smooth pocket for a 2X4. I am sure I could have done the same with the 6" but I wanted to be "absolutely sure" it would cut deep enough when mounted in my old Delta Radial Arm Saw. To me the $10-11 extra was worth it.

(get the 208)

In all honesty I just felt better about the 8" set. I would rather be comfortable than worried about how high my blades will reach when out in the shop. Then again you may never require more than the 206 will give you.

(just get the 208)

Troy

(GET THE 208!!!!!!!!!)
    Hmm. That's weird. Suddenly, I now think I should get the 208. It's almost like there was a subliminal message in your post. Odd.

In all seriousness, I was leaning towards the 6" for two reasons... 1) I don't know that I'd ever need the capacity of the 8". But then again... never say never. And 2) I figured my 1-1/2HP saw would appreciate not having to spin the extra weight of the 8". Price isn't an issue. The 8" is only $10 more than the 6".

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Paul,

Well I WAS trying to be subtle...

As for the hp issue, like I said I have the same table saw as you (one generation behind) and I never had an issue with the motor straining using the dado stacked up to 3/4" thick. Nice steady feed = nice flat cuts.

Also the blades don't stretch real easy when you need 'em to...

Like the time I tried to fell a 30" tree with a 12" chain saw... Let's just say it kinda got ugly...

Troy

Old Age means you just can't get out of the way as fast as once could!!!

Paul,

Well I WAS trying to be subtle...

As for the hp issue, like I said I have the same table saw as you (one generation behind) and I never had an issue with the motor straining using the dado stacked up to 3/4" thick. Nice steady feed = nice flat cuts.

Like the time I tried to fell a 30" tree with a 12" chain saw... Let's just say it kinda got ugly...

Troy

Old Age means you just can't get out of the way as fast as once could!!!
    Very good points Troy.

Hey, Amazon's selling Freud blades for 25% off. Hmm. Maybe I should splurge and get the SD508. Decisions... Decisions...

Thanks again!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Ha! I just thought that's a lot like those pesky cables at work. Sometimes they're just not quite long enough and you have to send the new guy to find the cable stretcher. After all, copper is softer than steel.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Contrary voice here...had a SD208 and found that I got a lot of scoring. I sold it and upgraded to an SD508, and have been very pleased. Perhaps there was something wrong my the SD208 set I got, dunno. The SD508 was a huge improvement.

As someone above noticed, amazon is giving 25% off on Freud sets. I bought an SD508 set about a week ago for $149 delivered...what a steal. Went back to pick up another set for a friend and amazon was sold out - the page now directs you to buy them from timberline tools without the 25% off promotion.

Then I noticed a Frued set I had never seen before...the 408. Comes with 40 tooth outside plades and the 2 blade chippers from the 208 set. Anybody used this set? Almost looks like Freud is ditching the 508 as their top of the line and going with the 608 with the 408 and 208 as lower end options.

The SD206/208 is a value priced dado set that does reasonably good work. The SD506/508 is the premium line with better chippers and a better cut, especially in sheet goods.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not to hijack the thread, but what about the Dial-A-Dado? I just purchased one, but am probably going to return it since the case is broken and I didn't notice. Haven't even taken it out of the box.

But if price isn't a problem...

Although I can't speak for how flat it cuts since I haven't tried it yet.

Welcome Casey. The SD608 dial a dado is a very nice one. Not sure how bad the case is broken but you might be able to call and have them give you a certain % off it if you ordered from amazon and the break is not bad. Plus get the 25% off credited as well.

Sd206

I have had great results with the 6" version. The bottoms are dead flat, but i do get a little scoring on the bottoms, nothing that hurts assembly but you can see them. That being said, Im already getting sick of shims and changing out chippers, a Dial-a-width is in my future.

I've got the SD206 and I wish I had paid more money for the 506/508. The 206 does a decent job, but it's barely hobby-grade work.

Spend the extra money and get the set with the better chippers and more teeth on the outside blades.