Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knock-down saw horses for cutting sheet goods (subtitle: why panel saws are obsolete)

Quote Originally Posted by fred woltersdorf
    frank,if you don't mind what are the dimensions,and the angles?thanks fred
    Fred, there are a lot of dimensions and angles. If you send me you email address, I will send some diagrams to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Frank,

I'll take a set of those plans too please.

Jim
    Jim, and anyone else, please let me know your email address, and I will send you some diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Hmm. Don't think the panel saw will ever be obsolete.
    Maybe not, but I certainly will never struggle with one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Fred, there are a lot of dimensions and angles. If you send me you email address, I will send some diagrams to you.

Jim, and anyone else, please let me know your email address, and I will send you some diagrams.
    Frank, (and all),

I've been trying to post this since early this afternoon, but my computer keeps messing up on me. GRRRRR

Anyhow, the original article and plans are still available for free on PWW. Here is the link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1104

HTH,

Tom
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaRussa
    Frank, (and all),

I've been trying to post this since early this afternoon, but my computer keeps messing up on me. GRRRRR

Anyhow, the original article and plans are still available for free on PWW. Here is the link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1104

HTH,

Tom
    Thanks Tom! The diagram that is available at the site you provided is the one that I have been sending to folks. I have sent out a few, but I guess that I can stop now.

Tom: Thanks for providing the link - the diagram was just what I needed!

Frank: Thanks for the effort trying to provide me with the plans - your help is appreciated!

Cheers,
    Niels

Talking

thanks frank and tom,i'm going to make one today.

Panel Saw and Sawhorses

I agree with Bart, I wouldn't trade my panel saw, considering the kind of work I do in my shop.

The second pic is the knockdown sawhorse plans from ShopBot, a pair of these are cut from one sheet of plywood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice saw horses, but I'll keep my 8' slider & the panel router just in case I might need them someday.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Why not just use a few of these ? I have 4 which when folded take very little space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    I agree with Bart, I wouldn't trade my panel saw, considering the kind of work I do in my shop.
    The panel saws that I have used and seen used, don't have the accuracy nor do they provide the smooth cuts that my set-up does. Also, the set-up with the special saw horses and guide rails costs a fraction of "good" panel saw. Finally I, for one, find a panel saw harder to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    The second pic is the knockdown sawhorse plans from ShopBot, a pair of these are cut from one sheet of plywood.
    Those look really good, Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Why not just use a few of these ? I have 4 which when folded take very little space.
    What kind of wood is that, Ken?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    What kind of wood is that, Ken?
    Smart wood.

The saw horses look like they would do a fine job, but I keep three 2'x4' foam panels stored across the ceiling joists. They are about 2" thick, and when I need to do sheet goods, I just slap them on the floor, throw the sheet goods on top and have at it. The foam is plenty firm to allow me to crawl all over the ply and very light so it is easy for me get "upstairs" and out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    The saw horses look like they would do a fine job, but I keep three 2'x4' foam panels stored across the ceiling joists. They are about 2" thick, and when I need to do sheet goods, I just slap them on the floor, throw the sheet goods on top and have at it. The foam is plenty firm to allow me to crawl all over the ply and very light so it is easy for me get "upstairs" and out of the way.
    That certainly works well (and I have done the same thing), but I much prefer my work to be elevated. Also, I have often used the saw horses in places where there is no floor or smooth ground upon which to place the foam.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-04-2005 at 4:01 AM.

LOL... I have the same sawhorses as well Ken, and was wondering when someone would get around to admitting to owning them (Great minds and all that )
    My shop is getting ready to move so I can't take any photos at the moment, but if you want to see what really makes panel saws (and most sawhorses) obsolete, you might want to consider what our friend Dino came up with:

http://www.eurekazone.com/products/smarttable.html

http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gal...glassshop.html