Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamp storage options?

Blog Entries

Clamp storage options?

Does anyone have any good clamp storage plans? I want to have them hanging on the wall, but still use as little wallspace as possible. Maybe something that has them stacked against each other?

If you can add pics, plans or sketchup, that would be great.

Maybe the mods can move the plans into the plans forum after we get a few different ideas...

Thanks,
    Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Sorry no pictures, but one design I saw have a box frame attached to the wall and a second one hinge mounted to the first. All the clamps with F, bar, parallel, and pipe in the picture (no hardwood clamps were shown).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Sorry no pictures, but one design I saw have a box frame attached to the wall and a second one hinge mounted to the first. All the clamps with F, bar, parallel, and pipe in the picture (no hardwood clamps were shown).
    Probably this one that I really liked the design of:
    http://woodworking.phruksawan.com/clampCabinet/

- Jim

Oh, and here's a thread from a few weeks back with a lot of ideas:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...67284#poststop
    And I appreciated Glenn Bradley's detailed posting of how he made his movable cleat rack: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=rack
    - Jim

While not mounted on the wall, the pics at my previous post below may give you some ideas. I have MANY Bessey clamps and others mounted on this device.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    While not mounted on the wall, the pics at my previous post below may give you some ideas. I have MANY Bessey clamps and others mounted on this device.

Jeff, you posted a link for the jig-it shelving jig. Just FYI

Greg,

I too have a few clamps I needed to store in a limited amount of space. I used large lag bolts (first pic) then tried a tool holder purchased from Duluth Trading. They both work, but I get some deflection from the weight of the clamps using the tool holder from Duluth. I guess of the larger Besseys will do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't rule out a mobile Clamp Rack. you can push them around and into a corner.
    You can't build mine but it very handy and it doesn't take up your wall space.

I think it is better to make something with modest tools and do your best, then to have great tools and do nothing.... how do you know what you can do if you don't try...Mark Singer

Modest tools and a lot of wood

Blog Entries
    Not much help here other than the fact that all cleat mounted clamp units are identical and can be moved to wherever there is a cleat.

"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Clamp Storage

I saw a great clamp storage rack assembled by Norm Abram on the New Yankee Workshop about a month ago. It was on wheels so it could be moved around the shop easily. He could put a number of large clamps on it plus a number of smaller clamps. It is hard to describe other than it was built from 3/4 inch plywood, it had about a 30" square base with wheels and then 2 upright sections which tappered from the 30 to about 24". In additon the upright sections tilted inward about 5 degrees. He then used cross pieces which were 3" wide keeping the 5 degree inward tilt to the top. These were set at intervals to allow for the various sizes of bar and pipe clamps. It has be as tall as the longest clamp you have or expect to have. He also inserted a couple of 1" dowels in the center for smaller c clamps etc. I am sure my description is not the best but you could go to the website for a detail drawing

Greg also take a look at the botton of the page there's link to related thread on clamp racks.
    I think it is better to make something with modest tools and do your best, then to have great tools and do nothing.... how do you know what you can do if you don't try...Mark Singer

Modest tools and a lot of wood

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post

Sorry about the incorrect link above. This one should work:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...422#post541422

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Francis View Post
    I saw a great clamp storage rack assembled by Norm Abram on the New Yankee Workshop about a month ago. It was on wheels so it could be moved around the shop easily. He could put a number of large clamps on it plus a number of smaller clamps. It is hard to describe other than it was built from 3/4 inch plywood, it had about a 30" square base with wheels and then 2 upright sections which tappered from the 30 to about 24". In additon the upright sections tilted inward about 5 degrees. He then used cross pieces which were 3" wide keeping the 5 degree inward tilt to the top. These were set at intervals to allow for the various sizes of bar and pipe clamps. It has be as tall as the longest clamp you have or expect to have. He also inserted a couple of 1" dowels in the center for smaller c clamps etc. I am sure my description is not the best but you could go to the website for a detail drawing
    I just built Norm's clamp rack last week. Great instructions and did most with 3/4" scrap plywood laying around. Had to buy only the four 3" casters. Built in a couple evenings and really cleaned my clamp storage mess! Push it in the corners and drag it to work when your need it.

any pics?

looked on the web, but found none.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

Another option

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ght=clamp+rack

The link is a variation of Norm's rack that works well.