Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honesty's the best policy ...

Honesty and integrety are nice to see in people...

I must say you guys are all terriffic!! Glad to know ya!!
    I pulled away from the teller window at our bank a few years ago (12) and then for some reason....God said so maybe...I stopped to count the money. I had $200 more than I had cashed a check for!!! I turned around parked and went inside. The teller counted her drawer, the manager counted her drawer, and then they said hold on to the money and they'd call me in the morning. Well, they called and said they had not come up short and to keep the money! I threw them a pizza party lunch with the money!!!
    Then next month there was a misterious(SP) $200 deposit into our checking account....another $200 mistake I think....the bank said no, it was their way of thanking us for being honest!!!!
    Boy, if only they had taken the money back...no headaches and pestering phone calls!!
    Turned out the $200 made the difference in what we had to have for the down payment on our first house the next month, talk about a blessing...or do you think the bank new they'd get a return on their investment?
    Honestly is the best policy...it also means repeat customers!!!

Though my experience wasn't as an expensive item,
    the responce was the same. I bought two K-Body
    clamps at the big box store and when I checked out the
    cashier just charged me for one clamp. When I called her
    attention to her error she didn't seem to grateful but
    I felt better about it.

I had gotten a HD credit card to get the 10% discount on the first purchase + 90 days no interest(was buying $1500 worth of stuff). Made a $100 payment at the store on the card. A year later, the check still had not been cashed. I went to the customer service desk with the receipt and told them that they had not cashed the check yet and asked them what to do. The clerk looked at me as if I was from Mars. She finally, went and got the manager. He said I should call the regional HQ. The regional HQ said to just forget about it. The weird thing about the whole experience was that all of the people I talked to acted resentful that I was presenting them with a problem to deal with rather than an opportunity to increase their bottom line. At least I felt better knowing I had tried to do the right thing.

Thumbs up

Way to Go Ron, You did the right thing and it's good to know that there are honest people outthere.

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Ron,
    Good for you!
    Integrity = Doing the right thing when no one is watching!
    Dan

Blog Entries

Similar experience

Originally posted by Gary Bindel
    The weird thing about the whole experience was that all of the people I talked to acted resentful that I was presenting them with a problem to deal with rather than an opportunity to increase their bottom line.
    I went to the bank a couple of years ago to cash a pay check and take care of some bills. I gave the clerk, my check, a deposit slip, a loan payment and an electric bill. I said to her pay the bills, deposit this amount and give me the difference in cash.

She did her thing behind the counter and pretty soon was counting out money into my hand. I hadn't really added it all up, so I didn't really know what I should have gooten in cash (LOML does most of the banking). I got home and gave LOML the receipts for her records and some cash since she wanted to go grocery shopping the next day. Well, I had quite a bit of cash left. We got curious and counted it out. What had happened was the clerk had marked the bills paid and added the amount to my check, deposited what I wanted and gave me the difference.

When I went back to the bank the next day as soon as they opened, went to the counter to the same clerk and tried explaining what had happend. Next thing I knew the manager was there and was getting belligerant that they don't make mistakes. I said hold on just a minute, here I was reporting their error and they were treating me like a crimminal. Came real close to leaving the bank with the money and my receipts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Some of us like to call that "rigorous honesty" ...........

There IS only ONE way to live.

There is a consistent undercurrent on this forum of people who understand how to live life. I keep coming back.
    Bartee Lamar

Glad to hear there are still honest and honerable folks out there. My latest story along these lines also has to do with HD. I had gone there getting several different items. Went to the register, paid and left. When I went to get in my carseat, I noticed I had a BBQ basting brush stuffed in my back pocket. I had completely forgotten the thing. No I have to go back and have them ring one up for me to pay for.

Funny thing is, I never ever had any thought to just take it or say, "oh well", but instead that I had to go back and pay for one.

Thanks for sharing
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Smile Here's why you check...

Ron, and all,
    A very recent experience shows why we need to be honest. We bought a few things from a local mom and pop hardware store last October. Paid with check. Doing check reconciliations for tax purposes noticed that the check to the hardware store had never cleared. Saw the owner in another meeting and mentioned it to him. He related that they had been robbed in October and all checks and cash were taken from the safe. They had no idea what checks were there. We wrote another on the spot and you could not believe the gratitude they expressed. The robbery had really set them back. I want that store to be there when I need it.

Mike
    Mike

Its amazing how you try to be honest and people don't understand that there honest people left in the world

Talk about honesty and it happens to me!

Folks,

I post a reply to this thread and a few days later get to experience it for myself.

I stopped in at an auto parts store to see if they had any finer grits for my pen-turning. Sure enough, I found a 5-pack of sanding block sheets: 320(2), 400, 600, & 800. I took those and some spreaders to the cashier and gave her a $5 bill expecting 15 cents change. She handed me a $5 and a $10. I looked at her funny and did not reach for the money. She was flustered for a second and then realized she meant to give 15 cents, NOT 15 dollars!

She was very grateful that I did NOT take the $15 dollars. This process made me feel real good. I made both our days.

Cheers,
    Bob Janka
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker