Thread: Puzzle cutting is puzzling me??

Question Puzzle cutting is puzzling me??

Hello everyone, I have a pinnacle M series laser and am currently trying to cut puzzles out of balsa wood. It cuts great, and the pieces look good, but the problem is that it is cutting the lines that connect two interior pieces of the puzzle twice. So it is leaving a larger scorch mark on those pieces. If I cut each individual piece seperate, they look and match well. But there has to be a way to make one cut, so that the pieces touching doesnt get hit twice. I have tried combining them, but did not help. I am using Corel X3, and also Flexi 8 software. Both will do the same thing, even after combining or welding. Didnt know if I had to cut each piece seperate, but it would be quicker and simpler to leave the puzzle together. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

You can use the virtual segment delete tool. It will make quick work on the extra lines.

That is now my favorite tool in Corel
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Jason,
    What are you using to generate your puzzles vectors? If it is the plug in for Corel Craw, Puzzle Creator, then there is an option to cut edges or cut pieces. Use the cut edges one and you will see a difference.

What kind of Balsa are you using? Are the parts strong enough that the tenons of the puzzles pieces won't snap? How big are your sheets and what direction is your grain? I use my 3mm Russian Birch Ply and they are very strong. Just curious
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=