Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rockler's NEW CNC Machine - CNC Shark

I too have the CNC bug. Is anyone using the model at www.cncsidewinder.com? Or those of you who have machines, how does this one look to you?

cnc shark

Todd
    sorry for the delay in response
    I was out of town for a week
    Yes I have a cnc shark
    Yes I like it
    It does all I need and want it to do.
    It does NOT have proprietary software.
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Rockler is running a special on the CNC Shark line, $200 off plus free shipping.

This puts the Shark Pro Plus under $4000. Plus $100 for the router. And you need a computer

The software on the PRO PLUS includes the Cut 3D and VCarve in the package.

Question: I have not seen any recent reviews. What say from anyone who has one?
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

rod i have a good friend in noblesville indiana who has the camaster (larger machine) yet the stinger is built the same,

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Floyd View Post
    Rockler is running a special on the CNC Shark line, $200 off plus free shipping.
    Fred, I didn't see mention of free shipping, are you sure?

I've been interested in the shark pro also. I would like to get into CNC but I don't have the space for a large machine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Went by the local woodcraft yesterday and they had the new General International I-Carver, same level as the shark ($3850), but comes with a spindle motor, included in the price.

They are upgrading a few things they have found issues with on the long term in-house QC models and it will be shipping in January.

They are evaluating Woodcraft stores for selling them in various local markets, including the one here in Va.Beach.

The General International Rep. Joe Brakhage was setting one up and running samples.

I was pretty impressed, but I am easily impressed.

Although the concensus seems to be wait and buy a true CNC machine at twice (Stinger) it's price, but some of us just can't justify that expense for playing in a home shop, even when we can afford to buy a larger one.

You know buy a new car or buy a new CNC, my choice would be obvious, but wouldnt' be back by the LOML.

I had a good 20 minute one on one conversation with him. (Do a web search and you can find a video of him showing the machine.) He is a really nice guy.

He said this machine was being manufactured in Canada, but they would be releasing a more entry level machine at half the price, but that model would be off-shored manufactured to reach that price point.

Rob

Rob,

You need to visit my shop and take a close look at my CAMaster Stinger. In a few short minutes I think you will understand why spending just a little more will save you money. While you are here I can show you my ShopBot at the same time and you can draw your own conclusions.

Call me or send me a PM to let me know when you can drop by for a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Rob,

You need to visit my shop and take a close look at my CAMaster Stinger. In a few short minutes I think you will understand why spending just a little more will save you money. While you are here I can show you my ShopBot at the same time and you can draw your own conclusions.

I would also like to allow fellow members of Sawmill Creek who live in my area of the country (Utah)to look at, operate and ask questions about my Camaster. The only way to really see if CNC is what you need (or want) is to see one in operation.
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    Went by the local woodcraft yesterday and they had the new General International I-Carver, same level as the shark ($3850), but comes with a spindle motor, included in the price.

They are upgrading a few things they have found issues with on the long term in-house QC models and it will be shipping in January.

They are evaluating Woodcraft stores for selling them in various local markets, including the one here in Va.Beach.

The General International Rep. Joe Brakhage was setting one up and running samples.

I was pretty impressed, but I am easily impressed.

Although the concensus seems to be wait and buy a true CNC machine at twice (Stinger) it's price, but some of us just can't justify that expense for playing in a home shop, even when we can afford to buy a larger one.

You know buy a new car or buy a new CNC, my choice would be obvious, but wouldnt' be back by the LOML.

I had a good 20 minute one on one conversation with him. (Do a web search and you can find a video of him showing the machine.) He is a really nice guy.

He said this machine was being manufactured in Canada, but they would be releasing a more entry level machine at half the price, but that model would be off-shored manufactured to reach that price point.

Rob
    rob i am sure the rep is informed by the people he reps, yet as a matter of note the icarver is the reincarnated jinhan china machine manufactured with the dsp controller, the versions of this are used on many of the china machines including the 1325 marketed by laguna (along with a variety of other sales ops in the us) the icarver general showed at iwf was manufactured in china i would bet the one you saw was too. they have apparently lowered the price as they initially tried to sell the machine in the 9000.00 range,

oliver is also trying to rep this model, it could be a good hobby machine
    and at this point i am real partial to american manufacturing and how i can help to invigorate it (in my own little way) the mach controllers usually sold with these machines generally has the same serial number on many because the chinese think nothing of bootlegging it, also if the dsp blinks then what?

this should look familiar (ask them what they want for it!!)

http://www.olivermachinery.net/index...=13&model=1015

10. Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    the carve wright software is easy to import stuff but it is pretty limited. and you can't begin to draw with it as you can vcarve. can't import dxf files or much of anything else. can somewhat vcarve text but not anything else. Myself I found the software pretty limited. but I have been using vcarve for over a year so thats part of it.
    Steve,

LHR software in not limited at all.. the spline based tools and 2D merging are a joy to use also you can inport large detailed *.STL , *.DFX, PNG, BMP and JPeg until the cows come home.

for the 3D work i use Lightwave 3D then use LHR's "STL" program for the Carvewright, lighting fast BTW and then carve my designs.

LHR have been adding some new tools lately one I use is conform vectors. Here in this image you can see that i added frets to the instruments i build..

Last edited by Brandon MacDougall; 11-06-2010 at 9:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    rob i am sure the rep is informed by the people he reps, yet as a matter of note the icarver is the reincarnated jinhan china machine manufactured with the dsp controller, this should look familiar (ask them what they want for it!!)

http://www.olivermachinery.net/index...=13&model=1015
    James, it does look close, just a few different cosmetic changes between them. I am going to head over tomorrow for a visit with Keith.

I am sure it will be an eye opener.

I think I will email the rep and see if he knows the difference between the two models and if he was sure that the General is being made in Canada.

Rob

The free shipping says it's good til 11/10. It is only on internet orders. When I selected the Shark Pro Plus it put in a promo code and shipping was free -- though they did add $65.00 special oversize charge anyway.

With tax, it came to a few pennies under $4000.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

I would have reservantions about a machine that only weighed 132 pounds based on my experience with two other machines that are much heavier. I would also bet that the 15" by 20" table would be a serious limiting factor real quick, even in a hobby shop.

For another $1,500.00 you can get a much heavier American made machine with a welded steel frame and a selection of router motors/spindles to choose from that is built to run for hours. Long run times are common with these machines, they need to be built to withstand extended run times or they become sea anchors weights real quick IMO.

Having seen a shark at a rockler distributor I can say that it is not much more than a MDF built machine with a cheaply constructed controller. No offense to any owners of them but no way is that a deal at $4K. That is also why they only weigh 130lbs or so I am guessing.

The stinger picture here look good and if you must buy a machine and want a smaller foot print then the stinger would be a great solution of you can pony up the $ for one. If you are spending the $4K for a shark then save the bit more for a stinger for sure.

BTW - I have run 8+ hours on my hitachi $100 M12VC router with zero issues with accuracy or heat. YMMV. I have not bought a spindle yet.

Where does one buy HSD spindles anyway (is that the corrrect name for them?)? seems to be the spindle of choice of many industrial built machines.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post

Where does one buy HSD spindles anyway (is that the corrrect name for them?)? seems to be the spindle of choice of many industrial built machines.
    Try HSD-USA in Florida. They don't seem to have a website anymore, but their number can be found on HSD's main Italian website. Or just Google HSD USA.