Thread: Another Shop Safety Reminder

Another Shop Safety Reminder

When cutting material with a utility knife, always use a safety ruler. Even when it's not handy and you're only making one cut. Otherwise you could end up getting two needles in the finger, another one for tetanus in the arm, a lot of pain and a finger that looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Pelonio; 03-18-2008 at 2:06 PM.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Sorry to hear about your finger. The wrap is very fashionable though!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Gauger View Post
    Sorry to hear about your finger. The wrap is very fashionable though!
    They don't have white anymore, I had about 10 colors to choose from!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Slow learner, are we? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=finger

Sorry to hear about your finger, hope it heals soon. Take care of those things or you'll be kneading bread for a living!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Slow learner, are we? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=finger

Sorry to hear about your finger, hope it heals soon. Take care of those things or you'll be kneading bread for a living!
    I figured you would be the one to remember that, thanks. I thought if I showed the finger this time it would carry more weight. I think this time I'll follow my own advice.

Sammamish, WA

There is a good number of people who say never use gloves in the shop. But they do make kevlar based gloves (good for lumber unloading/splinters, and knife work), as well as chainmaille butchers gloves.

I have times I use gloves, just not with most powertools.

All kidding aside, get healed up soon. I was in a machine shop at 14 years old and have been in them for over 20 years. I've cut myself enough and seen enough industrial accidents where fingers were lost that I'm a bit of a freak about having sharp, moving objects close to my fingers.

Heal up soon!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

What do they call that wrap now?

It has been used by vets for years and I just started seeing it in ER's not long ago.

I have use it regularly around here, usually on one of the animals but sometimes things happen.

You should have went with pink.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    What do they call that wrap now?

It has been used by vets for years and I just started seeing it in ER's not long ago.

I have use it regularly around here, usually on one of the animals but sometimes things happen.

You should have went with pink.

Joe
    It's called SELF ADHERENT ELASTIC WRAP where I was. There were several shades of pink available. They gave me the rest of the roll for changing the dressing tomorrow night.

Sammamish, WA