Thread: Riser block for 14" Rockwell BS

Riser block for 14" Rockwell BS

Good morning,

I'm going to be buying a riser block for my 14" Rockwell BS, and found a deal on just a riser block, not the kit. I'm sure I can find/make most of the parts such as alignment pins, blade guards, and a larger bolt.

Could someone give me measurements/specifications of the other parts I need? For example, it looks like I need a couple alignment pins (size?), and longer frame bolt (size?).

Thanks,
    Matt

From the lack of replies, I'm guessing this is a stupid question and I should just order the riser?

I'll blame you all if something doesn't work!

If it were me, I wouldn't buy just the block. Unless you have a lot of metal around, you're unlikely to find the rest of the parts easily.

Pete

Matt,
    You are missing one very large piece on your list. You'll need a longer upper blade guide arm that has a milled slot along its length (or possibly hexagonal stock on an older machine???). This slot has to be milled for newer machines, otherwise the guides want to twist the blade. So, if you have a metal lathe, a mill, lots of material, and lots of time go for it.

I've seen the riser blocks for $25-30 plus shipping. I've also seen the full Delta kits on Amazon for $90. For the extra time, hassle, and materials, it wasn't worth it for me.

The hardened steel alignment (dowel) pins were 0.25" diameter and just under 1" long IIRC. I don't remember the specs for the bolts since mine came as a kit. Simply take your current bolt and buy one 6" longer while using the original washers and nuts.

FYI-You may want to check to see if the $60 Grizzly riser block kit will fit your machine. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Rise...or-G0580/H7316

Good luck,
    Dick

FWIW - I built my own riser blocks from phenolic for my 14" import Delta clone. I wanted a greater resaw capability than what a 6" block would afford, so I cut 10 piece of 1" phenolic, machined them with a jig that ensured consistency, used steel dowel pins to align and a 5/8" hardened steel rod to connect. Now I can resaw up to 16" wide boards. The small saw is really pushed to it's maximum with regards to stability, but I've made superb cuts with a carbide tipped 1/2" blade that I couldn't do without a $3K+ machine.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars