Thread: Bandsaw decision time

Bandsaw decision time

Friends,

I have scoured the older posts and am still uncertain which bandsaw to buy. I hope to buy within the next two weeks, and have about 1500 in the budget. I'm not brand conscious; I have many different brands of machinery/tools in my shop. I try to buy the best tool, that I can afford, for the job. I hope to do some resawing and sawing veneer. I also plan to use the saw to help prep blanks for my new 3520B lathe-thanks to KEN GLASS- for the info on buying the machine! From a size standpoint, I think an 18 inch saw is the largest that I can manage to get in my basement shop. I want a minimum of 12" resaw capacity. I've mainly been looking at 3 different machines; the 18" Steel City, the 18" Jet and the 17" Grizzly 513X2. Points that I'm pondering:

Is the 2 horsepower machine enough for what I think I want to do with it? Only the Jet has the 3hp option.

How important is the quick tension release, when you have a big wheel to remove the tension from the blade? The quick release is on both the Steel City and Grizzly.

Both the Steel City and Jet say they offer a tool-less guide adjustment system. Easy sounds better!

All 3 offer cast iron trunnions and cast iron wheels, although I do like the more solid Grizzly wheels as opposed to the CI spoked wheels on the other two. The Griz wheel size is not common, the SC and Jet size is. The Griz and the SC say their tires are urethane; the Jet says vulcanized rubber.

How important is the foot brake, offered on both the Grizzly and the Steel City?

I know that Grizzley and Jet have good CS and good parts inventories. Do I take a chance with the new startup SC? What if I buy SC and they go under-not wishing them ill-will, but new companies are at a much higher risk for being unsuccessful?

I have been able to inspect both the SC and Jet saws, although not directly side to side. I have not been able to visually inspect the Grizzley unit. Has anyone actually looked at all three? Specs are one thing, but really looking at the machine can show weaknesses or strengths that the specs can't show.

I've been watching, without success, CL and the local paper for used, well-maintained machines. Are there other machines that I'm overlooking? Your input is appreciated.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hill View Post
    Is the 2 horsepower machine enough for what I think I want to do with it? Only the Jet has the 3hp option.

How important is the quick tension release, when you have a big wheel to remove the tension from the blade? The quick release is on both the Steel City and Grizzly.

Both the Steel City and Jet say they offer a tool-less guide adjustment system. Easy sounds better!
    Jim
    Jim... I have the Grizzly G0457. It is a 2 hp bandsaw. I have resawed to the maximum 10" capacity several times and 2 hp was plenty. I dont think 2 more inches will matter. 2 hp should be fine.

The quick tension release is nice because when the saw is sitting unused, the tenson should be released. This takes the strain off of the blade,tires and bearings. When ready to use the saw again, flip the lever and you are right back to the original tension setting, which is nice because it takes a little adjusting to get the tension just right.

The Grizzly guide adjustments are with an Allen Wrench, and arent any different that the guide adjustments on the other 2 bandsaws. I just stick the allen wrench to my wheel cover with a rare earth magnet.

You mentioned the wheels and tires. The only problem you ever have is with rubber tires falling apart over time. Replacement tires are urethane, and last as much as 5 times longer than rubber. Since the Grizzly already has urethane tires, its a non-issue. IF you would ever need a replacement tire, Grizzly will be just more than happy to help.

As you maybe can tell already, I am a happy Grizzly customer and would recommend the Grizzly bandsaw. Its not the same one I have, but I know that it is just as good, if not better than the bandsaw I have. I like mine alot.

Jim,
    With a $1500 budget, you should be looking at the Grizzly 514x2, not the 513x2! 18" for reduced carbide flexing, heavier, same footprint, massively beefier table support system with rack/pinion support, FOOT BRAKE!, bigger motor, bigger table. This is the one I decided on after looking; IMO the extra $ for the 18 vs. 17 grizzly is worth it.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hill View Post
    From a size standpoint, I think an 18 inch saw is the largest that I can manage to get in my basement shop.
    I got a 20" into my basement. It's worth the extra effort. Get some friends, take the motor and the table off, and recognize that it will be really topheavy.

Is the 2 horsepower machine enough for what I think I want to do with it?
    Yes.

How important is the quick tension release, when you have a big wheel to remove the tension from the blade?
    Some may differ, but I don't believe it's important at all. Band saws were made for over 100 years before the first detensioner came out.

Effective first, then easy, then tool-less.

How important is the foot brake, offered on both the Grizzly and the Steel City?
    A foot brake is very useful on a big band saw as it can take a long time to spin down otherwise. Check the Griz though -- I believe it's not a true foot brake, just something for "emergency" purposes.
    I have not been able to visually inspect the Grizzley unit. Has anyone actually looked at all three?
    You definitely want to see it in person. People's likes/dislikes/opinions differ.

I've been watching, without success, CL and the local paper for used, well-maintained machines.
    Well maintained recent machines don't come up often in those places. Old machines in need of rebuilding show up more frequently.

Good luck!

Smile

You may want to take a look at the RIKON 18" 10-345. It has a 12" resaw capacity and the newer models have a 2 1/2 horse motor. I have a Rikon and it is a great machine for me. It has the quick release as well as cast iron wheels with urethane tires. The table is good size. It normally costs about $1150.00 at Woodcraft and they put it on sale pretty often at $999.00. I have no affiliation with RIKON. I just own one and their customer service department is great.

Have used an older version of this machine at a school where I take classes, just a bit more money but one of the nicest machines I have seen or used. Used it in a class making vaneer...very capable saw from a company that knows band saws. Option D?

http://www.lagunatools.com/lt16.htm

Well I just did the same thing as you and wound up with the steal city 18" it was very smooth and well designed I can't say anything bad about it and I think I made a good choice. Anyhow I looked at a bunch and really liked that one in a 18" 14" the best was the powermatic. As for HP I wouldn''t worry to much about it, the HP seems not to be directly related to how well the saw cuts. A good blade will make the biggest difference. FOr your buget you can almost get anything though are you looking at 20" also?
    -=Jason=-