Thread: Router Table Extension for a Table Saw

Router Table Extension for a Table Saw

Does anyone know of a router table extension for a table saw that you can fold down when not in use?

Thanks for any ideas

What I plan to do is get a sheet of birch 3/4" plywood (maybe 2) and a sheet of 3/4" melamanie [sp] for the top (maybe thinner). Then get a 7' rails. I have a Fox Shop classic fence on my Grizzly 10" 2hp contractor TS. I'll extend the fence with more plywood.

Now that I think about it, I don't need to buy their rails. I'll just build my own out of oak. All I'll need to do is find the measuring tape.

There will be a square hole where the table will sit. I will route grooves for the miter groves. At the far left will be the router station.

The two sheets will be screwed together once I get everything tuned. I am also going to reinforce the crap out of the bottom (unless I get the 2 sheets of plywood). I will also surround it with oak edging.

Once I get it all done I will have a TS with a 4x8 table and a giant router station. The fence will be 5-6 feet long once I get done.

I will also build an extension the length of the overhang of the motor. I might have a 'fold up' extension-extension.

Since my TS is 110v my router and TS will be wired together. I will also build some serious dust collection and storage. It will also have plugs all around the parameter.

The mount for the router will be hinged to flip UP and be big enough for the whole router. No reaching underneath for me.

The trickiest part (except making sure everything is tuned) is going to be extending the controls for the TS blade.

If I truly mess things up I will not have ruined my Grizzly, so I can go back to the way it was.

Why am I going through all this? Good practice for making furniture, and I want better support for the material.

Of course I could just be nuts.
    Last edited by Carl Fox; 03-16-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Why?

Just lower the router below the table, and (if you really care about it) screw in a blank plate over the hole. That way you can have a decent dust collection box around the router, which would be difficult/impossible on a fold down table.

And it doesn't take much more room... I replaced one cast iron wing on my TS with the benchdog CI table, and it makes my TS maybe 8" wider then before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    Why?

Just lower the router below the table, and (if you really care about it) screw in a blank plate over the hole. That way you can have a decent dust collection box around the router, which would be difficult/impossible on a fold down table.

And it doesn't take much more room... I replaced one cast iron wing on my TS with the benchdog CI table, and it makes my TS maybe 8" wider then before.
    I just purchased the benchdog CI router wing also. Did you build a "box" around the router? if you did, how did you attach it to the CI router wing? I would like to build a cabinet under the router to enclose the router for dust collection and for storage / draws for bits, etc.. I need to leave enough room to reach the handle for the saw blade height adjustment (have a CM Zip code saw...22124).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keppel View Post
    I need to leave enough room to reach the handle for the saw blade height adjustment (have a CM Zip code saw...22124).
    Why not just attach it to the other side of the saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keppel View Post
    I just purchased the benchdog CI router wing also. Did you build a "box" around the router? if you did, how did you attach it to the CI router wing? I would like to build a cabinet under the router to enclose the router for dust collection and for storage / draws for bits, etc.. I need to leave enough room to reach the handle for the saw blade height adjustment (have a CM Zip code saw...22124).
    My cabinet is attached to the threaded holes already in the bottom of the Bench Dog top. It was just a matter of sizing things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My cabinet is attached to the threaded holes already in the bottom of the Bench Dog top. It was just a matter of sizing things.
    Jim, thanks for info, I havent installed it yet and havent looked that closely at the wing (just got it this weekend and havent had an opportunity to open the package yet). Would the threaded holes be those for the "hooks" where the routet table fence can be hung when not in use?

I plan on installing casters on the bottom of the router enclosure box / cabinet and just have to work out a way to attach it to the mobile base (Jet base) for the table saw so I can move the saw / router enclosure cabinet as one unit. Anyone have any photos of how they attached a router wing cabinet to a mobile base?

Josiah, I am installing the wing on the left side due to the way I store my saw when not in use (push the right wing / extension under a cabinet alsong a wall to reduce the "foot print" when not in use). With it installalled as the left wing it will leave the router open and available even when the saw is "parked" ( partially pushed under the cabinet).

Thanks everyone for all the info!

Bill

Bill, the pictures starting in post # of my thread on this topic will be useful to you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...