Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood for Mallet

Wood for Mallet

Greetings to the Vortex,
    I have been thinking of spinning up a mallet to use with my chiseling. I have seen several very nice ones at various wood classes. My question iswhat type of wood will hold/last? I am considering ash.
    Thanks
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Blog Entries
    Try Hickory.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Victor,

Here is one that I made from Ash. I do not use mine too much it was more for show and practice turning something different.

I have heard Ash is not that great because it could break at the rings (grain). I have not witnessed this so i cannot be sure about it though.

They are fun to make so you could make a few with different species of wood and test them out.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try Beech

Beech is a traditional wood for carving/chisel mallets. Not the easiest to find though. We have a lot here in the Northeast since it is not used for lumber and a fungus is killing many of them.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I've been using a two piece mallet I made from some 4x4 Poplar 'stickers' for several years. It's soft enough not to leave a lot of marks on stuff, or mess up my drive center (when marking centers on blanks), and just about right for popping the banjo lever on my tailstock to keep it from creeping. The reason it works is that it's built more like a hammer with a big head than your traditional carving mallet. The 'business end' of the face is all end grain so it stand up better than it would if I was pounding with side grain.

I have wished for one a little harder and heavier though...

I made one from Apple for a neighbor. He says it works well. If you want hard go hickory, black locust, honeylocust in that order for the domestics. I used apple for two reasons: 1) it is fairly hard but turns very well, 2) it was the right size piece in my garage
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Oooohhh... make a Puzzle mallet. I think someone shared how to make one over on the WWA website.

You might find plans for one on this forum if you searched.

our wood shop teacher has one that he made that the handle is from oak the head is made from maple with walnut rings around the head the head is hallow and filled with buck shot the hammer face is covered with leather we use it all the time the lead moving in the head gives that little extra push
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21449

Here's a thread that shows pix on how to do the puzzle mallet joint.

Osage would be another good one, as would hard (sugar) maple. Then there are the exotics like Lignum Vitae. Hammer style would probably last longer than bat/bonker style because you are using the end grain rather than the side grain.
    robo hippy

Mallet

Hello,

I have turned several mallets from old wooden baseball bats. They work very well, and the used bats are cheap!!

Dan Heine

Oak works well.

Here is one I made from maple and Rosewood. It looked better than it worked, it was just too heavy and big. I suppose that is the fault of the hack who turned it though. I can't say how it held up because I sold it.
    I also made one with Makore and Maple with the same method but smaller and it works just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

I turned one from Osage Orange (aka Boise d'arc or horse apple) and it's great for thumping chisels.. It's very hard, but it also should be fairly dry..
    I would think Jatoba would do well too, if you wanted an exotic flair..
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan