Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Service Medal Display Case ideas?

Another name

Jack,
    I am a Navy Senior Chief in my spare time (when I am not woodworking). These are often referred to as :
    Shadow Boxes

Try a Google search for Military Shadow Box.

Below is a link to a big outfit the Navy uses in VA Beach and may have some ideas:

http://www.shadowplaque.com/

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy levine View Post
    HUTCHINSON, JONATHON
    Synopsis:
    The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Jonathon Hutchinson, First Lieutenant (Infantry), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with Company F, 313th Infantry Regiment, in action against enemy forces on 14 September 1944. First Lieutenant Hutchinson's intrepid actions, personal bravery and zealous devotion to duty exemplify the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
    Headquarters, Third U.S. Army, General Orders No. 252 (1945)
    Silver Star
    Hutchinson, Jonathan HQ, 79th Infantry Division, G.O. No. 160 (1945)
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Could be.

He'll be here tomorrow. I'll check on his unit. I was wrong about 101st. He was in the 79th Infantry Division which included the 313th 314th and 315th Regiments. They were part of the Third Army in Sept '44

His name is spelled Jonathan Hutchinson. He was a 1st Lieutenant in '44. There were 13 WWII DSCs in the 79th Division according to Wikipedia -

I remember reading the citations when I was a kid. Don't know whether they exist anymore.

Okay - where did you find that, Jeremy? Thank you.

And thanks for the other leads - With that help I'm getting a design developed.
    Jack Hutchinson

Jack, I'm in the process of planning a similar project to give as a gift to my father for fathers day. His father who served in the Big Red 1 in WW2 and was awarded a purple heart, bronze, and silver star while fighting through north africa passed away a little over a year ago. As I am only planning a flag display case, I also wanted to honor his medals with the case. I am thinking of a silver name plate to honor the silver star, purple heart inlay, and also to include magnolia to represent his southern heritage (born in and lived in MS and LA) and am still trying to find an appropriate wood to represent the life he built with his family in the northeast.

Just a few ideas that I could think of that might help.

Good luck, I can understand how important it must be to you that this project comes out as you envision.
    Last edited by Jack Porter; 03-15-2008 at 3:44 PM.

When I decided to replace my Viet-Nam medals I went to a company called U.S. Medals. (usmedals.com) The have several shadow boxes and also all of the other normal uniform items like shoulder patches, rank insignia, etc. They have a mounting service and show many examples of layouts (good for ideas).

Use a piece of foam board cut to fit the shadow box and glue the fabric to it. I used some Khaki material that looked military, but red or blue velvet would work too. Mount the medals, insignia, and a brass plaque with his name and service data on the fabric/foam board. The plaque could also mount on the outside. If you can get detailed descriptions of the citations print them out and place it behind the foam board. Some family member may come across those in years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hutchinson View Post
    He'll be here tomorrow. I'll check on his unit. I was wrong about 101st. He was in the 79th Infantry Division which included the 313th 314th and 315th Regiments. They were part of the Third Army in Sept '44

His name is spelled Jonathan Hutchinson. He was a 1st Lieutenant in '44. There were 13 WWII DSCs in the 79th Division according to Wikipedia -

I remember reading the citations when I was a kid. Don't know whether they exist anymore.

Okay - where did you find that, Jeremy? Thank you.

And thanks for the other leads - With that help I'm getting a design developed.
    I got them here, a great site full of great heros like your father.
    http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/1_...ervice%20Cross

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor2/S...my/Army-H.html

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy levine View Post
    Yeah - that's him. 79th Division 113th Regiment F Company.

Thanks - he's coming around on putting a bit more into the display. We've a number of good pictures from Belgium and Germany in '44 and '45 as well as more formal ones in dress uniform.
    Jack Hutchinson

Jack,

Anything I can do to help you out let me know as I make about 30 boxes a month and have designs that I haven't even made yet.

Jody

Any updates on the display box ?