Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boats?

Thumbs up

I am inclined to agree with Scott. Probably the hardest part of choosing a design and method of building is being honest with yourself! How much boat do I really need? How much time (and money) do I have to devote to this project? Are my skills up the the method chosen? I most certainly do not wish to discourage anyone from trying their hand at boatbuilding. It is great fun (to me) and as mentioned earlier, very addictive. Just don't get in over your head! In the unfortunate event you do become overwhelmed I am certain anyone here at the Creek will be more than happy to assist!

P.S. If you haven't already done so, set a few bucks aside and become a contributor to the Creek!!!
    I
    Last edited by Jim Creech; 03-20-2008 at 11:34 PM.

Boats

Matt,

Check out my website, www.skiffkits.com

We produce kits etc. for the 3 versions of Tolman Skiffs, 18' - 24', open to full cabin. Tolman Skiffs have a cult like following worldwide, excellent hull design, designed for Alaska's coastal waters. Hundred's have been built.
    We sell Renn Tolman's book "Tolman Alaskan Skiffs", it has book form plans and complete building instructions for all 3 of his designs. Tolman skiffs are designed for the home builder, Mr. Tolman has perfected an easy, fast construction schedule that allows first time boat builders to complete a great boat. Visit the Tolman Yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tolmanskiff/

Neal Schlee
    Skiffkits LLC
    Lasertech Alaska
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a pic of a boat my father built in his garage.

She's built in cold molded wood/epoxy.

4. I rebuilt this one over 2 1/2 years . Original built in 1889. Lots of fun.
    DCYR2007_6312 (Large).JPG

To all who have submitted pictures, beautiful boats indeed! I must admit that I am partial to paddeling, rowing and sailing craft ( There must be some bad karma between myself and the internal ,or is it infernal, combustion engine as I have never had any great sucess with them).Irregardless of your propulsion system, have fun and make sure you know where the Head is. We don't want any accidents out there!

Some of the boats... or ummm...

http://www.yachtmati.com/

But then I woke up.

[quote=Robert Fordham;807297]
    These boats need to be maintained, fresh paint every few years, fix any scratches in epoxy coatings, etc.

quote]
    Robert,

do they really need to be maintained like this if they are encapsulated in fiberglass? what is their structural strength like since there isn't a stem & ribbing, per se?

Matt,
    Regarding maintenance, be advised that all boats (even fibreglass)require some degree of upkeep. In the case of a woodenboat encapsulated in epoxy, scratches deep enough to penetrate to the wood will allow moisture to get to the wood and cause rot. Additionally, epoxy is not very resistant to UV therefore the paint or varnish must be maintained to ensure maximum protection. As for all fibreglass boats, the relatively thin outer coating of "Gelcoat'" is also a protective barrier against moisture. Any scratches deep enough will allow moisture to permeate the glass cloth and eventually cause blistering or delamination. If for no other reason a fresh coat of paint helps keep the boat in Bristol condition.

I have built several boats the latest being a 10 1/2 foot Wherry. It is one of the most satisfying projects I ever did. The plans came from Walter Simmons located in Lincolnville Beach Maine. His website is Ducktrap Woodworking.com. He is very helpful and has the patience of a saint when it comes to helping you with something you do not understand about the plans. I recommend you check out his website.

I also attended the Wooden Boat School in Brooklin Maine and took a two week course in the fundamentals of boat building. That was very helpful in getting my first boat completed. You will not be sorry you attended the school. It was a wonderful experience and I am looking forward to going back again. But be careful, boatbuilding is contagious and you cannot stop at just one.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

10. mystery shot

"Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Can You Build The Boats Outside Or Do You Need More Climate Control Than Just A Tarp To Keep It From Getting Rained On?

Thumbs up

Matt,
    Yes, boats can (and are) built outside. The only serious consideration about weather is one of materials resistance to both UV (sunlight) and moisture (rain). As mentioned earlier, some epoxies, if your are using them , have a low tolerance and should not be exposed to prolonged periods of exposure without some protection. Second, you do not want your wood exposed to the elements for too long. You probably already know what sort of results you can expect. Keep a tarp over it when not working on it and you should be fine. Third, power tools and rain don't get on that well! Do exercise some caution in that respect!
    Have you decided on a boat design yet?

well, i've narrowed it down to 2 designs from bateau.com. it will either be the FS14 or the OB15. i'd like to eventually build a 17'-23' boat, but given the fact that i have a 6 yr old, a 1 yr old, & one due the end of the month... i'm gonna go with one that may not take as long to build & won't take up as much space. i'd like to build a center console for whichever one i choose. My son loves going fishing & it's tough for me to take him places where he'll actually catch something because most of the bank-fishing spots are overfished. i know several spots on the Chickahominy River, the York River, The James River, the Mattaponi, & the Pamunkey, but i need a boat to get to them. i also figured pay for materials & building a boat would be easier & more economical than plunking down a hefty chunk of change for a new or used production boat. Do you fish around Smithfield

Quote Originally Posted by MATT HASSMER View Post
    well, i've narrowed it down to 2 designs from bateau.com. it will either be the FS14 or the OB15. i'd like to eventually build a 17'-23' boat, but given the fact that i have a 6 yr old, a 1 yr old, & one due the end of the month... i'm gonna go with one that may not take as long to build & won't take up as much space....
    I recommend you consider restoring one for starters. Look around, find an older woodie and go over every inch of it with an icepick to find any bad wood. You'll get much more boat for your money, will be using it faster, and will learn all the things not to do in boatbuilding.

This 1959 mahogany plywood 19' runabout cost 350 bucks....less than its trailer and Johnson 35 OB are worth. All it needs is a fresh sheet of Meranti ply for the foredeck, a new windshield, new canvas and some paint.

I paid a grand for this Hartley trailer sailer....an unfinished project that sat in a barn for 30 years until the builder (who lost interest) died. It came with trailer, spars, sails and Seagull OB. But it still cost me 120 manhours and over half the purchase price to complete it. It woulda been around 800 manhours done from scratch.

All I had to do was build the interior, fit the boat out, add electrics for safety and do some cosmetics.

Even the trailer was restorable.

A real cutie. One of the best plywood home builder designs.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 04-09-2008 at 2:42 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Matt,
    Bob does bring up a valid alternative. The only real issue is that around here, old woodies can be hard to find. Especially something like you are looking for. I would recommend that you use a small hammer and tap test for bad wood rather than use an icepick. Especially if you haven't acquired the boat yet. Some folks take a dim view of others poking around their boat with a sharp instrument! Another thing you should take into consideration if you elect to explore this option is ,in the event you find a suitable boat and should find some bad wood, where is it? It's one thing to replace a rotten foredeck or transom and quite another to replace a keelson as Bob, obviously an experienced boatbuilder/restorer can attest to.
    P.S. I have a hard enough time catching a cold much less a fish!
    Last edited by Jim Creech; 04-09-2008 at 11:29 PM.