Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boats?

I have never built a boat. But most of what I do is boat related.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

2. I built one with my Dad when I was 16. It was called a P38. The plans were from Popular Mechanics. It was 13'9" long, and would do 38 miles an hour with a 25 Johnson on the back with a speed prop. My brother built the transom, keel, and ribs that make up the framework under the bow in high school wood shop. Then the school year ended, he graduated, and my Dad and myself finished it in the garage over the summer. It was fast looking. Pointed bow, the gunnels on the sides swooped to a slope as they met the transom. We did a lot of soaking, and bending of marine ply to get it all to work. The plans called for $38 dollars worth of materials, but we spent closer to 200. We beefed up the transom. I only called for 3/4 ply, we doubled it. All the seams were epoxied. The hull was a thicker grade also. Finally we got it done.
    Let me back up for a minute. My parents had a place in Somers Point NJ. We would go every summer. All of my friends had boats. My dad had a 14 foot runabout that we would go fishing together on, but I wasn't old enough at the time to take it farther then the end of the lagoon. but my brother took it out on the bay, whereas he was older. When I finally got old enough to use it, it sank. A storm came up, and when we went down to see how it did, it was on the bottom of the lagoon. The motor was shot. Never did get it going again.
    So then I saw the plans for the P38. I was ecstatic. My friends thought I was exaggerating. Anyhow, to make a long story short, the boat finally got done. All we needed was a motor and trailer, and my parents decided to sell the shore home. They had enough of 2 homes, and doing the laundry for the guests. So I never got to use the boat. It sat for a year on the back patio, and my Mom put the foot down, we had to sell it. We didn't even recover the cost of materials.
    By now you must be feeling sad for me. All those years of staring out on the water while my friends were dancing around on the 13' Boston Whalers, with up to 45 hp engines. I did get to do some boating with them, and my Dad was always taking me out on his friends cruiser for some deep sea fishing.
    Well to make a long story short. You know what happens to men when they hit 40. They go out and do something crazy. So I decided to fulfill my childhood dream. I bought a Donzi. It is an 18 foot pocket rocket that does 70 on the water, and acts like a ballet dancer. It weighs 2700 pounds, which is a lot for an 18 foot boat. It has a 350 magnum Mercruiser with 270 hp. It rumbles. I bought it in 1989 only 2 years old. If I told you what they were going for new, and what I was able to buy this one for, I would have to put a gloat warning on the post. A little mini gloat is that they only make 40 of this model per year in an 18. All the glass is hand laid, and they let it cool overnight before they pop it out of the mold. They let it cool first so it doesn't warp. The mold for this boat was created in 1964. Ok, Ok, I will stop talking about it. I really love this boat. I was around boats a lot, and spent more time then I care to admit, sanding and refinishing the Chris Craft runabout. Mahogany is the wood of choice for boat building.
    This is getting long, but I will come back to this new category many times I am sure. Here is a couple of pictures of the Donzi.

Last edited by Bob Feeser; 03-15-2008 at 10:54 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Boats

I just found this thread and it sure brings back memories. I built 3 of the Glen L boats and had a great time building them with hand tools, a sabre saw and 7" circular saw. Had a great time using them too. I started with a 10' hydro, Super Spartan; put a 40HP OB on it. Next was a 14' day sailor with a 19'6" mast. Topped it off with the 16' ski boat Stiletto and hung a 135 HP Evinrude OB on it. None of them had any wood in them over 8' long. Everything was plywood and glued up to make longer pieces. Half dimension and lapped joints. Building up the sailboat mast was tricky because the sail track was built into it. I glassed them good and used Travco Epoxy resin. Good Stuff. I retired from the US Army Jun 1971 in Korea and went to work for the Army. I built the boats in 1972 in my yard using all Korean made plywood. I bought all the fasteners and hardware from Glen L. Had the ski boat in the water by the time the ice was off the water, bought gas from the Army 1K gallons at a time for $.12 per gallon. I was allowed 1K gallons a month, and sometimes it wasn't enough. Under a full moon we could ski 24 hrs a day. I left Korea the end of 76 and the boats were still in good shape. Last time I saw the ski boat was in83 and it was showing some wear being used in a commercial operation.

boats

woodenboat.com is a wealth of info. Also, there are several methods. Bateau plans are I recall for "stitch and glue". you actually cut out the pieces and stitch them together with wire and use thickend epoxy to build up "fillets" in the seams. Quick and bombproof. It can be extremely messy until you get the learning curve down. There are more traditional methods that call for more skills and precision. I have plans for a small row/sail boat waiting for spring. The 11 foot rowboat from Bateau plans is used a lot. No matter what you build it will take easily 2 or 3 times longer to build than you think.

5. Hydro Planes

When I was growing up I was always fascinated with the idea of building a hydroplane. They are small, I think they are only about 9 feet long, and meant for one thing; speed. With only a 10, 15, or 20 hp motor they could do 40 or more. The weigh practically nothing, use very little fuel, have a flat bottom on them, so you don't want to use them on choppy water, a glass smooth lake is ideal. The advantage is that they use up a lot less wood. You can make them as fancy or plain as you like. You can transport them very easily on a roof rack, with a motor in the back of the truck or van. They take such a small motor that you can pick one up used for cheap. No trailer needed. They do not take up much storage space.
    It is kind of a shame to build just one. If you had a buddy who would like to participate, you could get together with them, and build 2 in not much more time then it would take to build one.
    There are all kinds of plans out there to build one. Just a thought.

Strip Canoe

I built a 16' Chestnut Prospector from Bear Mountain plans. It was great therapy to offset work "stuff". I think I'm sane again.

Stu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job on that Prospector! I have a copy of Canoecraft, I plan on lofting up a Prospector from the offset tables in the book. That is next years project as I am just starting on a kayak for my daughter.

Cheers,
    Gary

8. What a beauty that Prospector is. The hull is fabulous, you obviously took the time to pick the pieces to create a balanced pattern. It just draws you into it. You probably get more attention in that handcrafted beauty then most everything else on the water. That is the advantage of custom woodwork, it is real, fabulous, it is nature.

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Yes, it does draw some attention on the water. The hull started out life as some 1x6 red cedar, purchased from a fence company! A little time with the band saw, planer and router gave me the strips. Other woods included are poplar, cherry, ash and english sycamore.

Stu

were the plans you got from bateau.com already lofted?

I have build two boats from Bateau.

Their method is Stich and glue and there is no lofting required for their boats.

Do not go cheap on you wood, glue, or paint selections. All the worry and sweat and money you put into these projects will rot away after 5 years if you go cheap.

These boats need to be maintained, fresh paint every few years, fix any scratches in epoxy coatings, etc.

My first boat is delaminating due to cheap luan from HD.

My second boat was made fom BS1088 marine ply, covered in FG and is still strong. I have made several repairs from trailer damage.

If the total boat costs $2,000 to build and the wood cost is $400 = 20% why try to save $100 by getting cheap ply? Your $2000 investment will fall apart over time.

When you add your labor cost ( many hours ) that $100 savings will appear rediculous.

Here are a few canoes and kayaks I have built. You can't stop at one.

Kurt

Carrying Place Canoes Chemaunis

Outer Island

Squeedunk Cormorant

Northwest Canoes Merlin

wow. i didn't realize their boats needed that kind of maintanence; even with quality materials. you have to paint it every few years? do you just paint over the old paint + any crack/abrasion repairs? i may do better rehabing a used hull. i like the look of the Manatees & have seen some on ebay.

Buy yourself a copy of woodenboat magazine and have a look in the back at the "plans and kits" section.
    Woodenboat also has a school
    http://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/

I spent a whole summer there and highly recommend them. Brooklyn ME is a center for woodenboatbuilding on the east coast with many boat builders and boatyards.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
    half so much worth doing
    as simply messing about in boats." (Kennith Graham)
    If I was you the logical way to decide is First decide what you want to use it for and then which construction method. Once you decide those then pick your plans.
    For your first boat I would use one of the easier construction methods like Strip built or stitch and glue. I don't think you want to build a plank on frame for your first boat even if it is caravel planked and not lapstrake.
    There is also cold moulding as someone suggested but unless you have a lot of epoxy experience and vacuum bagging equipment the size of the boat I would not choose that.