Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Boats?

Actually, I had been looking at the FS17 as well. Looks like no one has built one or at least, no one has submitted pics of their own on their site. It looks like it would use the same amt of wood as the OB15, but i'd get a bigger boat http://bateau.com/studyplans/FS17_study.htm?prod=FS17. Looks like it would be more fiberglassing, but this is more like what I'm looking for. Plus, I can fit it the way I want & there's an option to make the sides 6" higher as well. I would opt for the center console option. One day, I'd like to build bigger boat with a cuddy cabin or pilot house. One day, we plan on moving to/near the Bay; somewhere on the water & it'd be nice to have a bigger boat to take family out. I like the cuddy cabin/pilot house plans because some of my family really don't do well out in the sun.
    =-)

I am also always cruising e-bay motors & craigslist for used & inexpensive boats/hulls. I don't know if it would be easier to rehab than to build, though. Sounds like there are pro's & con's to each. I'm thinking it would be easier to start from scratch that to repair something already built. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MATT HASSMER View Post
    I'm thinking it would be easier to start from scratch that to repair something already built. Thoughts?
    I post a lot of pictures to provide an idea of what you have to buy besides wood, and what you'll have to make in anything more complicated than a bare bones canoe or skiff. Powerboats use pretty much the same quantity of expensive goodies, they are just different goodies like motors, tanks, rails, windshields and controls.

It's amazing how much money building from scratch adds up to. I stopped counting finishing out this simple dory, made all the wood and much of the metal fitments myself and I bought the remaining bronze hardware used on eBay.

You can't buy retail wood and West Marine fitments and can't come out much ahead of a storebought boat, let alone restoring an older boat in middling condition. It's often worth a week's vacation time and long road trip to find the right one. Surveying an open boat doesn't require an special expertise. Moisture meters can find rot almost as well as ice picks.

I'd much rather build from scratch than restore, but if you need a boat for the family to use in the near term, finding the right oldie is cheapest and most efficient in manhours by far. Then once you have a boat to use, you can take more time and care building your next one from scratch.

I'd also like to wean you from the idea of plywood, as using the real thing is more fun. But that depends on whether you live in an area with local sawmills and the right trees.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 04-10-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Definitely food for thought. I don't have a timeline on this & I figure that instead of plunking down a chunk of change for a new/used boat, I could pay as I build & get the boat that I want by building it myself. I could build in whatever additional bait boxes, storage/stowage, & seat configuration I wanted (within reason of course). I figured it would take me a while to build it or it would take me a while to pay for it. Either way it's a waiting game, but building it would give me bragging rights as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT HASSMER View Post
    I don't know if it would be easier to rehab than to build, though.
    Other than replacing the stem and keel, there is little restoration on a wooden boat that isn't within your capacity now with a little coaching. Restoring one involves measuring the boat for true and correcting if necessary, just one of dozens of practice events for lofting, layout and spiling later.

This Meranti ply lapstrake pram was headed for the dumpster because of extensive rot and three inches of twist in the hull.

Repair is simply a matter of saw, feather the hull and a matching patch, glue and fair one problem at a time:

To remove the twist I removed all the knees, pulled the boat into place on a strongback, and added new, stringer knees:

An efficient method to get out knees is to steam strips in place til they take a set, then laminate in place using slip sheets followed by removal, cleanup and final installation:

The result in 30 manhours turned firewood into a boat with decades of life remaining.

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 04-10-2008 at 2:55 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

WoodenBoat School

Matt, I have not built a boat yet, although 8 years ago, I attended a two week introduction to wooden boat building class at WoodenBoat headquarters in Maine. I totally enjoyed the class and have had the urge to build a wooden boat since then. Eventually I will, but not in the near future. Since attending the school, I have been a regular subscriber to WoodenBoat magazine, an excellent bi-monthly publication. The magazine is full of information, including sources for kits. It's up to you to decide how much effort and money you want to put into the project and this magazine can help you sort out things.

Did any of you not use full-length strips to build your boats?

My Kayak Story:

About a year ago, I was delivering pizzas when I drove past this one house where I recognized the sound of an orbital sander. I looked to the left and there I saw a garage with about 10 completed boats on one side and another under construction on the other side. I was so caught up in the sight that I couldn't find the house a mile down the road that I was delviering to, despite the guy being a regular.

So, I stopped at the house on the way back. I was about as excited as a 10-year old with a new xbox. I walked up to the guy and said "It is so awesome to know that there are other people around here who wants to build kayaks too!" I had a really big smile at this point!

BUT, the guy said, "I'm sorry to tell you this, but the gentleman who owns these boats and tools just passed away two weeks ago. Mabey you would like all of these forms and tools."

So, I have about 15 templates now to build kayaks and canoes. I've seen many of the plans offered by different companies.

I think that I will build a Peterboro for my first canoe, but I want to shorten the front and rear so that it is a bit smaller and easier for me to move around.

Allan,
    For my canoes I always use full length strips. As I am not into kayaking I haven't built one.
    The Peterborough is an excellent all purpose canoe and a wise choise. I would however caution you as to shortening the length. Anymore than about 10% will have an impact on the boats handling and stability characteristics. Rather than shortening the bow and stern, just place the station moulds closer together. Remember you only have about 10% to play with. Been there , Done that, Got the tee shirt!

Allan,
    I used 12' strips on my 18' kayak. I scarfed the sheer strips, most others I butt jointed on a station, being careful not to have joints fall on the same station. I used bead & cove strips which helps hold the joints in line. Also, as I milled the strips I kept the strips in order of the way they were ripped from the board. This helped with color and grain matching of the western red cedar. There are many joints that are hard to find...and a few that are... well not so hard
    Cheers,
    Gary
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Matt,
    I have spent the last few days reviewing Bob's comments and recommendations and I have to agree with all.
    One comment he did make about being in an area with both sawmills and the right trees pretty much tells the story. Southestern Va lacks what Bob has in his backyard. Most if not all of suitable boat lumber is imported from either the northeast or northwest. As a result the price of what is available is out of reach for most working people. Even marine grade ply is out of sight. I do envy the resources he has readily available.
    Irregardless whether you choose to build from scratch or restore, It's ultimately your boat and your decision. Keep us posted (with pictures)
    Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Pictures- Something a father carries in his wallet where his money used to be!

Plywood is a state of mind.

Virginia is abundant in:

Black Locust for frames.
    White Oak for frames.
    Black Walnut for frames and transoms.
    Black Cherry for frames and transoms.
    Apple for knees.
    Sassafras for planking.
    Atlantic White Cedar for planking harvested from coastal NC to NJ.
    Doug Fir construction lumber and Western Red Cedar are sold nation wide.

All are durable woods.

Solid wood takes a bit longer than plywood, but from a local sawyer is less expensive yet the resulting boat is both worth more dollarwise and will stand the eventual abuse boats get much better than ply. It's also a helluva lot more pleasant to work.

Doug Fir construction lumber can be had these days for as little as 80 cents a bf. Buy 2X12's thru 18' ....mills save their best logs for long joists and rafters....and you can highgrade these into lovely VG heartwood for frames, transoms, thwarts and rails:

The notion that carvel boats don't make good trailer boats because they dry out and leak until they take up is nonsense. That's true for older boats with planks worn out from compression set, but get the moisture content right in a new boat and it will remain leak free forever on a trailer. Just don't leave it in the water for more than a couple weeks. And if you need a trailer boat capable of being moored for extended periods, double planking with tarred canvas in between the layers is the way to go. Double planking a flat-bottomed skiff of Garvey isn't a big job, either. Caulking small boats is child's play and can be done using a pizza cutter.

If you live anywhere near the woods in most parts of the country, plywood simply isn't necessary.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 04-17-2008 at 1:58 AM.

Bob,
    Pizza cutter???
    What kind of pizza do they serve you guys out there? Over here pizza cutters are a little to sharp for caulking purposes ( I will admit however to occasionaly using mine to trim veneers).
    As for the lumber, the key word is locally available. The majority of mills are in the western part of the state and are a 4 to 6 hour drive one way."Locally" about an hour away, the only place selling boat material is commanding top dollar. Everyone else is doing treated landscape timber and warped 2 x 4's. If you know someone in the Hampton Roads area, let me know. I haven't found them yet!

The Forestry Forum
    Sawmill and Milling Services Database
    Country=USA Sell Lumber=yes State/Province=Virginia Custom Saw=yes
    Company Name
    State/Province
    City

Beechnut Hollow Portable Milling Virginia Oak Grove

Brookside Farm Portable Sawmill Service Virginia Charlottesville

Fawcett Woodworking Virginia Covington

Got Logs? Virginia Remington

Portable Sawmill Services Virginia Hampton

Rocking K West Virginia Valley Grove

Skyhawk Custom Sawing Virginia Williamsburg

Slider Saw Mills West Virginia Fairmont

Westfork Wood Works West Virginia Weston

The Forestry Forum
    Sawmill and Milling Services Database
    Country=USA Sell Lumber=yes State/Province=North_Carolina Custom Saw=yes
    Company Name
    State/Province
    City

Beaver Branch Saw mill North_Carolina Burgaw

Edwards Custom Sawmilling and Lumber North_Carolina Iron Station

Feltz's Sawmill North_Carolina Raeford

Have Saw Will Travel North_Carolina Saluda

Heartwood Milling North_Carolina Candor

H&W Custom Cut Lumber North_Carolina Waxhaw

H&W Custom Cut Lumber North_Carolina Waxhaw

Murdock Building & Portable Sawmill North_Carolina Rolesville

Peterson & Sons Sawmill North_Carolina Yanceyville

Weeksville Wood Worx North_Carolina Weeksville / Elizabeth City

Whispering Pines Farm North_Carolina New Hill

North Carolina postal code: 27946
    Company Name: Tony's Custom Sawing
    Services Offered: Sawing
    Company Contact: Anthony Tauscher
    Address: 021 Catherine Creek Rd. Hobbsville North Carolina 27946
    Phone: 252-221-4526
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1249

Description: I can handle logs 32" dia. 20 ft long. Eastern NC and southern VA areas.

North Carolina postal code: 27958
    Company Name: Currituck Millworks
    Company Contact: Craig Eason
    Address: 328 South Mills rd Moyock North Carolina 27958
    Phone: 252-340-1670
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1356

Description: We provide full service portable sawmilling,tree removal, and stump grinding to Northeastern NC and Southeastern VA. SAWMILLING IS OUR SPECIALTY!

North Carolina postal code: 28018
    Company Name: Moores Wood
    Company Contact: Jeff Moore
    Address: 493 waters rd bostic North Carolina 28018
    Phone: 828-289-7634
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1153

Description: Moores Wood Operates a stationary bandmill. We provide quality hardwoods lumber, framing, mantels,and custom sawing.to the surrounding area.

North Carolina postal code: 28078
    Company Name: Edwards Custom Sawmilling and Lumber
    Services Offered: Sawing Kiln Drying
    Company Contact: Kyle Edwards
    Address: 107 Huntersridge Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078
    Phone: 704-875-8901
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1078

Description: I am a full cycle small sawyer that can process logs to lumber to kiln and through molding and other specialty products.

North Carolina postal code: 28173
    Company Name: H&W Custom Cut Lumber
    Company Contact: Randy
    Address: 10800 Waxhaw Hwy Waxhaw North Carolina 28173
    Phone: 704-243-1318
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1765

Description: Custom Cut Lumber, logs upto 31"X23'

North Carolina postal code: 28376
    Company Name: Feltz's Sawmill
    Company Contact: Eric Feltz
    Address: 903 Myra Rd Raeford North Carolina 28376
    Phone: 910-875-5827
    Fax: 910-875-5827
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1174
    Website: http://www.ncagr.com/NCproducts/ShowSite.asp?ID=2439

Description: We operate a portable sawmilling and lumber business dedicated to providing services not normally available in the local commercial market.

North Carolina postal code: 28425
    Company Name: Beaver Branch Saw Mill
    Company Contact: Ivey Pridgen
    Address: 409 Horse Branch Rd. Burgaw North Carolina 28425
    Phone: 910-259-4777
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1544

Description: PORTABLE SAW MILL 36"X24'

North Carolina postal code: 28451
    Company Name: Cape Fear River Wood Products LLC
    Company Contact: Jesse H. Jarrell
    Address: 430 Bluff Hill Drive Navassa North Carolina 28451
    Phone: 888-371-0388
    Fax: 910-371-0387
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1762

Description: Eco-friendly business specializing in river recovered heart pine flooring. Building Recovered Heart Pine, saw mill and other finish milling availble.

North Carolina postal code: 28532
    Company Name: Charlie's sawmill
    Company Contact: Charles Ewing
    Address: 275 Pine Cliff Rd. Havelock North Carolina 28532
    Phone: 252 652 4616
    Fax: 252 652 4616
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1701

Description: Can custom cut to 24',3ft. dia. Mostly yellow pine or your own logs.

North Carolina postal code: 28625
    Company Name: Statesville SawMill & Lumber
    Company Contact: Brent Cook
    Address: Scotts Creek Rd Statesville North Carolina 28625
    Phone: 704-682-8084
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1197

Description: WE can Turn Your Logs Into Lumber with the ability of Kiln Drying

North Carolina postal code: 28644
    Company Name: Crosswell
    Company Contact: Mike
    Address: 8825 hwy 88e Laurel Springs North Carolina 28644
    Phone: 828-964-2903
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1677

Description: We offer onsite custom milling.

North Carolina postal code: 28730
    Company Name: Mountain Sawyers, LLC
    Company Contact: Warren Keull
    Address: PO BOX 2554 Fairview North Carolina 28730
    Phone: 828-713-5851
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1559

Description: We are a custom based sawyer, specializing in custom molding and lumber. We can saw on location, for more information please check our webpage.

North Carolina postal code: 28748
    Company Name: Innovative Wood Products
    Company Contact: Eric Lynn
    Address: 182 Worley Cove Rd Leicester North Carolina 28748
    Phone: 828-273-5878
    Fax: 828-683-8492
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1154

Description: We provide custom cut rough green lumber, small or large orders, grade material, ability of 20' material form various hardwoods.

North Carolina postal code: 28748
    Company Name: Woodsmith Portable Mil Service
    Company Contact: Nathan Schomber
    Address: P.O. Box 1529 Leicester North Carolina 28748
    Phone: 828 683-5734
    Fax: ----
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1725

Description: We come to your location and saw your logs to your specifications. We generally travel within a 60 mile radius around the Asheville,N.C. area.

North Carolina postal code: 28763
    Company Name: McConnell Millworks
    Company Contact: Shane McConnell
    Address: 834 Fred Vinson Rd Otto North Carolina 28763
    Phone: 828-369-6514
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1402

Description: Small, one man operation specializing in custom sawing.Call me for all of your lumber needs. If I can't help you, I probably know someone who can.

North Carolina postal code: 28787
    Company Name: C&M Sawmill
    Company Contact: Michael McCoy
    Address: 27 Sawmill Rd. Weaverville North Carolina 28787
    Phone: 828-645-4086
    Fax: 828-645-0543
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1087

Description: We do custom sawing and moulding.Our specialty is in log homes.

North Carolina postal code: 28805
    Company Name: Edens Custom Milling
    Company Contact: Forrest Edens
    Address: 10 Craig Cr Asheville North Carolina 28805
    Phone: 828-768-1364
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1678

Description: We offer complete tree to trim services. We take your tree down and use our portable mill to turn it into useable lumber.

North Carolina postal code: 28901
    Company Name: LegacyWoods
    Services Offered: Sawing Grading Kiln Drying
    Company Contact: Bart O'Sullivan
    Address: 300 Kent St Andrews North Carolina 28901
    Phone: 800-586-LOGS
    Fax: 828-321-0827
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1500

Description: Concentration Yard, 400mbf Kiln Capacity,S2S,S4S,SLR,gang rip, custom milling and drying. Export prep. Processing Hardwoods, Softwood, and Exotics

Virginia postal code: 20132
    Company Name: Beck
    Company Contact: Kenneth
    Address: 300 Main St. Purcellville Virginia 20132
    Phone: 540-338-5290
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1483

Description: Custom Sawing at Your Place or Mine

Virginia postal code: 22314
    Company Name: Peterson's Lumber
    Company Contact: Brian Peterson
    Address: 2732 Monacan St Alexandria Virginia 22314
    Phone: 724-272-0614
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1187

Description: Portable Sawmill, Custom Sawing, Kiln Drying, Timber Acquisitions Covering VA,WV,PA,MD

Virginia postal code: 22443
    Company Name: Beechnut Hollow Portable Milling
    Company Contact: Troy Lancaster
    Address: 477 Bristol Mine Rd. Oak Grove Virginia 22443
    Phone: 240-925-9030
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1394

Description: Portable swingmill operation with ability to custom mill and slab large logs at your location or mine.

Virginia postal code: 22553
    Company Name: WoodHelvin, Inc.
    Company Contact: Wayne Ayers
    Address: 8961 Fox Run Drive Spotsylvania Virginia 22553
    Phone: 540-854-6452
    Fax: 540-854-4123
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1368

Description: Portable bandsaw sawmilling at your site or ours. Small or Large lots. No firm pricing without inspection of your logs. Small lot Kiln Drying.

Virginia postal code: 22611
    Company Name: Green Hill Woodworks Inc.
    Company Contact: Logan and Todd
    Address: Stringtown Rd Berryville Virginia 22611
    Phone: 540-955-1567
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1767

Description: Run a portable sawmill operation, that will cut your logs at your location.

Virginia postal code: 22630
    Company Name: Whitehead Studios
    Company Contact: Brian Whitehead
    Address: Catlett Mtn Rd Front Royal Virginia 22630
    Phone: 540-635-6603
    Fax: 540-635-6603
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1401

Description: Custom Millwork, Sawmill, Kiln Drying

Virginia postal code: 22630
    Company Name: Whitehead Artisan Studios
    Company Contact: B. Whitehead
    Address: Catlett Mn Rd Front Royal Virginia 22630
    Phone: 540- 827-4858
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1748

Description: Offering full processing from log milling to finished lumber, and custom woodwork.

Virginia postal code: 22734
    Company Name: Got Logs? LLC
    Company Contact: Dave Buckwalter
    Address: 11825 Remington Road Remington Virginia 22734
    Phone: 540 439-8598
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1594

Description: Portable sawmilling serving Nothern VA using thin kerf Wood-Mizer bandmill. Weekends & evenings. No job to small. Kiln drying. Lumber sales. Insured.

Virginia postal code: 22802
    Company Name: Willow Run Custom Lumber, Inc.
    Company Contact: Justin Schweitzer
    Address: 2225 Fort Lynne Road Harrisonburg Virginia 22802
    Phone: 540-433-0317
    Fax: 540-433-0317
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1006

Description: We offer portable and stationary sawmill services of hard and softwoods, specializing in quarter sawing. We also provide custom kiln drying services.

Virginia postal code: 23009
    Company Name: O'Dell Custom Sawing
    Company Contact: Richard O'Dell
    Address: 482 Hazelwood Road Aylett Virginia 23009
    Phone: 804 994-5264
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1107

Description: Portable sawmill offering custom sawing, onsite sawing, and dry kiln services to greater Richmond, VA area.

Virginia postal code: 23053
    Company Name: JUST UE HARDWOODS
    Company Contact: JEFFERY TRUETT
    Address: 125843 BOYKINS Virginia 23053
    Phone: 757-620-4517
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1253

Description: CUSTOM SAWING,KILN DRYING AND MILLING

Virginia postal code: 23139
    Company Name: Dreaming Creek Timber Frames
    Company Contact: Bob Shortridge Jr.
    Address: 2487 Judes Ferry Road Powhatan Virginia 23139
    Phone: 804-598-4328
    Fax: 804-598-3748
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1261

Description: Custom sawing to your specifications.

Virginia postal code: 23168
    Company Name: CKs Portable LOG MILL
    Company Contact: Cary Kennedy
    Address: 9405 Barnes Road Toano Virginia 23168
    Phone: 757 566 4727
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1273

Description: CKs Portable Log Mill service will convert your logs into valuable boards. Have mill will travel.

Virginia postal code: 23837
    Company Name: Davis Woodworking
    Company Contact: Michael R. Davis
    Address: 22390 Main Street Courtland Virginia 23837
    Phone: 757-304-1482
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1521

Description: Portable sawmill in historic Southampton Co. area, turning your logs into valuable boards

Virginia postal code: 23890
    Company Name: Cool Spring Custom Milling
    Services Offered: Sawing Grading Kiln Drying
    Company Contact: Kevin Bain
    Address: 15105 Old Forty Rd. Waverly Virginia 23890
    Phone: 804-691-8057
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1308

Description: Custom sawing at your location or mine. Fully hydraulic bandmill. 24 years experience in hardwood lumber manufacture, inspection and kiln drying.

Virginia postal code: 24064
    Company Name: Tree Takedown Services, Inc.
    Company Contact: Trent Badgley
    Address: 76 Silverbirch Dr. Blue Ridge Virginia 24064
    Phone: 540-977-2260
    Fax: Same
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1555

Description: Custom Sawmilling, on-site sawmilling, tree takedowns, lot clearing,and log removals.

Virginia postal code: 24087
    Company Name: Custom Sawyer
    Company Contact: Robert Wimmer
    Address: P. O. Box 244 Elliston Virginia 24087
    Phone: 540-268-1803
    Fax:
    Email This Company

Directory ID Number: 1419

Description: Will saw logs and materials from old cabins, barns, etc.