Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choose my lathe - with a twist

Choose my lathe - with a twist

I am new here (check my post count) and new to turning. I have been lurking here and all the other online turning forums as well as talking to some local wood turners. I am in the process of buying my first lathe and need some advice. I had already made my decision and have a Rikon on order. Paid in full waiting for delivery. The problem is that as of now it is not expected in until late March and this date is already the result of multiple delays (the original estimate was the first week of March). In the time that I have had to wait, I have really started to grow fond of the idea of VS. It seems that it would be very handy when turning pens and the multiple rounds of sanding and polishing they require. For this reason I have begun to question my Rikon order and have started looking at other options:

1) Bail on the Rikon and pick up a Jet 1014VS which I can get right now. With free shipping and 25.00 rebate this would only cost a few bucks more than the Rikon although I would be giving up a slight amount of capacity.

2) Be patient, wait on the Rikon, opting for the larger capacity instead of the VS.

3) Since I could be waiting on the Rikon anyway, I could also wait to see how soon everyone starts stocking the Jet 1220VS. This would be a little more money, but could give me the best of both worlds.

My main question for you guys is, is it worth the wait for either the Rikon or the 1220VS? Or should I go ahead and get the 1014VS and start turning.
    I am really anxious to start spinning some wood as I have all my tools, supplies and even some wood. Everything but the lathe!

Do you think that if I went with the 1014VS, I could resell that with minimal loss if I decided later that the 1220VS was a must have?

I have racked my brain with this for the last couple of days and could use the input of experienced owners to ease my mind.

Thanks in advance,
    Warren

Warren I've got a 1014 and to me changing the belt just isn't that much of a pain. I only move it for my sanding, filling and finishing. So it's one move after I'm done turning the blank down. I leave the doors open, unlock the swing, lift the motor and move the belt then tighten her back up Its doesnt' take me long at all. I've not punched the clock on it but i'd say 15 secs?? Not that I think VS is a waste. I dont' like the fact that you still have to move the belt to gain all your speeds. and I've heard that you loose some of your torque. For the difference in price I chose to move the belt and buy another tool. If it was me, I'd pick the 1220 and start turning now and move the belt when i wanted to change speeds. In a way I wish i'd of got the 1220 Not sure why. I guess so I coudl just say I had one.

Welcome,

I would wait for the Jet 1220VS, the main reason is the 270 min. rpm, bigger hp and heavier. That would allow you to do slightly out of balance bowls at its capacity. Once you have used a lathe with VS, you won't miss the step pulley speed change. Especially for out of balance work, generally the faster the speed, the better finish you can get on interrupted cuts. Start slow for safety reason, gradually bring up the speed until it vibrates, then back off. As the blank becomes more balanced, you can increase the speed a little at a time. You can't achieve that with step pulley speed change.

I am afraid when the 1220VS is available, a lot of people would trade their 1014 for this new model. The slowest speed on the 1014 & 1014VS is 500 rpm. It is on the high side.

For me, I would choose quality over size.
    Gordon

Blog Entries
    I too say WAIT on the JET 1220 VS, or just get it over with and Buy the Powermatic 3520B.

And bypass all the UPgrades your gonna end up doing anyways. lol
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I would wait for the Jet 1220 VS.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Warren,
    Don't go for the 1014VS even though it is recommended by some folks. It just doesn't have the torque and the low speed needed as noted by some smart folks in this thread. It is pretty easy to stall out the 1014VS with a small piece of wood.

I'd wait for the 1220VS so you get the best of all worlds in that price range (more power/more capacity/lower min. variable speed). This machine should keep you happy and busy for quite a while.

Does anyone here know when the 1220vs will be out??? I sure don't, and I've asked around..if you wanna wait indefinately, well wait..the little vs jet is a good little machine..mine is 5yrs old is used almost daily and is still hummin'..can a person bog it down..sure..but so what, you can bog down just about any of them..if you are gonna turn pens get the 1014vs or the 1220 and go to it

Supposed to coming out in Mid-April.

http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=648

It is not difficult to stall a mini lathe. Bill Grumbine tripped the reset button of our Club's Oneway 2436 several times during last demo. He said with the 3/4" Thompson V bowl gouge, he even stalls his new 3HP Robust. IMO, a mini is never intended to be a production bowl lathe. Just take smaller cuts.

Don't try this at home. Stalling is not a catch; it is a controlled action.

If you only turn small spindles, you are always on high speed anyway. But before you try the other turning, you don't know what your area of interest will be.
    Gordon

I have a Rikon and have turned on a Jet VS. My opinion would be to wait for the Rikon as it has more power and a larger capacity. There is no way I would trade my Rikon for a Jet unless someone wanted to trade me a Jet 16-42(in my dreams) Nothing against the Jets,just my 2 cents worth.

I'm waiting for the Jet 1220 to get out there and than see how people like it. Looks like a great lathe, but I've found that sometimes when new lathes come out there are some bugs to be worked out. I'll wait a while.

i know your looking at small lathes but u should get something bigger incase you ever decid to turn bigger rather pay once and return one lathe than buy 2
    http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machi...0vd_20vda.html they also have other models from small to these
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I'm waiting for the Jet 1220 to get out there and than see how people like it. Looks like a great lathe, but I've found that sometimes when new lathes come out there are some bugs to be worked out. I'll wait a while.
    I definitely thought about this. That is why I was asking about buying the jet-mini and possibly selling it later once the 1220VS is proven. On the other hand, the standard 1220 is already out and they already have experience with the VS, so I would think marrying the two together would be fairly straightforward.

-Warren

I agree with Curtis. I started with a (dare I say it?) Sears... not enough power, not enough beef. Then I went Grizzly 12 x 36... not enough power, not enough beef, engineered fairly rough. Then I went Oneway 1640 and haven't looked back. I spent money on two other lathes that weren't what I needed first, when I should have gone for the gusto. That other money could have been spent on tools!
    You can turn small things on a large lathe, but you can't turn large things on a small lathe.
    Just my humble opinion.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

14. Look at Languna 18/47

Check out the Laguna 18/47 on sale 1599.00 or pay more to upgrade later! No I do not work for Laguna tools.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Gibson View Post
    I definitely thought about this. That is why I was asking about buying the jet-mini and possibly selling it later once the 1220VS is proven. On the other hand, the standard 1220 is already out and they already have experience with the VS, so I would think marrying the two together would be fairly straightforward.

-Warren
    Ok that was just an excuse for waiting. The real reason is I an afraid of my WIFE!!