Thread: Leigh FMT... Which Router??

Leigh FMT... Which Router??

Greetings all...

I just recieved my FMT today.....I have a Porter Cable 690LRVS with a 6931 Type 2 base. I can't find it on the list in the manual to mount the router to the plate. I can't find it on the Leigh website either..... What are some of the other FMT owners here using for routers with the FMT? It may be a good excuse to pick up a new router!

Thanks in advance!

Frank......... in NH
    Last edited by Frank Campbell; 03-09-2008 at 12:21 AM.

You may want to do a search as this has been discussed before. I use a Festool 1400 that works well.

I believe the Dewalt with dust collection in handle and Bosch are frequently mentioned. You want something with a smooth plunge action.

Thanks

I found a thread from last January 2007....tools change pretty fast these days. I was hoping to see if there was anything new to the market that would work well with the FMT. I also hoped to hear from some of the newer FMT owners....they may have some sugggestions as well.... I would love to have that Festool! But I don't think the boss would let me get away with it after the FMT purchase!!!

Thanks....

Frank

I have had my FMT for a little over a year. I use a Bosch 1613 EVS router. The feature I like best on the 1613 is the micro adjust. I can micro adjust the depth with the plunge lock engaged.

My PC quick working on me. With all of the good reviews on the Triton, I decided to try the 2+ hp one. I first called Leigh and their techie said the Triton works fine.

I use a DeWalt 621 with the FMT. Typically I'm spinning upcut spiral bits.

I use a PC 2 1/4 hp router (forgot model #) and it bolts directly to the plate .

Rod

I also use the dewalt 621K

Been using it for about 3 years. It is a super system

I also use the Bosch 1613 EVS. Works great for me.

Carl

Thank You

Thank you to everyone for your input! I am going to take the "plunge" and buy a new router......at the moment I am leaning torward the Dewalt 618 on sale at Lowes for $199.00 .....I like the feel of the Bosch as well. I am going to stop by Woodcraft and see what they have as well.

Thanks again!

Frank

If bucks are tight

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Campbell View Post
    Thank you to everyone for your input! I am going to take the "plunge" and buy a new router......at the moment I am leaning torward the Dewalt 618 on sale at Lowes for $199.00 .....I like the feel of the Bosch as well. I am going to stop by Woodcraft and see what they have as well.

Thanks again!

Frank
    You might check to see if if your 694 will fit in the new P-C plunge base (probably the same plunge base as the 618 kit uses) will fit your existing 694. I suspect it will, and will probably plunge a lot smoother than the old P-C base. A new plunge base would run around $100. Of course $199 gets you another motor and fixed base. Just something to consider.

Curt